Consumer Safety and Rights lacking in Singapore - Ikea

Kusje

IKEA relaunches recall of dressers in US after death of 8th child

The 2016 recall was extended to China after widespread criticism, but no recalls were issued in other countries.

In response to media queries then, IKEA said it would not be issuing a recall in Singapore.

The company has only encountered one case of drawers tipping in Singapore, which occurred more than 10 years ago. No serious injuries were reported in that case, it said.

Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/ikea-relaunches-recall-of-dressers-in-us-after-death-of-8th-9427834

I came across this article about Ikea cabinets killing children in the US. Ikea USA issued a recall on it some time ago (now "relaunching" that recall). The recall for similar cabinets was extended to China but Ikea Singapore still claims it is safe to use in Singapore. Some questions come to mind:

1. How can the same item be unsafe in USA and China but safe in Singapore? Our children are made tougher than ang mo and PRC children? 

2. Ikea Singapore says there are no incidents in Singapore except one from 10 years ago. Are they waiting for something to happen before they act?

3. People have been saying that consumer safety is lacking in China. Guess what, Singapore is worse! (at least in this case).

Disclosure: have a toddler and ikea stuff at home

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I have one question:

Ikea furniture looks just like any furniture in the market in terms of basic shape and design. How did their chest of drawers tip over without the child climbing on it?

the article gave an example of a father putting the child to sleep (apparently next to the drawers) and it tipped over and killed the child. There is more to the story.

poorly self assembled furnitures leading to unstable bases and put on uneven wooden flooring?

I have one question:

Ikea furniture looks just like any furniture in the market in terms of basic shape and design. How did their chest of drawers tip over without the child climbing on it?

the article gave an example of a father putting the child to sleep (apparently next to the drawers) and it tipped over and killed the child. There is more to the story.

poorly self assembled furnitures leading to unstable bases and put on uneven wooden flooring?

Not sure exactly. My guess is that the furniture is unbalanced (top heavy).

So maybe when you open the top drawer and tug it a little, the whole thing just tips over. Of course, there is a possibility of the child climbing as well but that happens for all similar products from other manufacturers I guess.

I came across this article about Ikea cabinets killing children in the US. Ikea USA issued a recall on it some time ago (now "relaunching" that recall). The recall for similar cabinets was extended to China but Ikea Singapore still claims it is safe to use in Singapore. Some questions come to mind:

1. How can the same item be unsafe in USA and China but safe in Singapore? Our children are made tougher than ang mo and PRC children? 

2. Ikea Singapore says there are no incidents in Singapore except one from 10 years ago. Are they waiting for something to happen before they act?

3. People have been saying that consumer safety is lacking in China. Guess what, Singapore is worse! (at least in this case).

The 2016 recall was extended to China after widespread criticism, but no recalls were issued in other countries.

Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/ikea-recall-malm-drawers-dressers-usa-death-9427834

means USA and China kids weak lar

I have one question:

i can only think is top drawer open or not close nicely and kid hanging from top drawer that cause the topple

the different is ang moh parents encourage their kids to climb everywhere they like. 

Singapore parents will shout "dun anyhow climb hor, later you fall down and die then you know!"

which you think have higher chance of accident at home?

I have one question:

Ikea sells more than any other retailers so the chances of accidents higher. The early batches of drawers did not come with the wall hinges to secure it... even if it did come with, it is up to the buyers to fix it up.

• Praise 1

it's like car safety belt.......the manufacturer encourage the use of safety belts....it is up to the consumers to use them.

When they did not use the safety belt or appropriate child seat for their child and accident happens, they all sue the car manufacturer why never make it impossibe to drive without the seat belt on?

All part of assuaging their own responsibility, guilt and self blame.

Ikea sells more than any other retailers so the chances of accidents higher. The early batches of drawers did not come with the wall hinges to secure it... even if it did come with, it is up to the buyers to fix it up.

• Praise 1

as a parent with young kids in the house also, i would say the onus and responsibility lies with the parents and caregivers. if there is reason to doubt the design of the furniture, these should be kept away from the kids or vice versa. of course notwithstanding major design flaws, but in this case it does not seem like it, since the same furniture is in use in China and SG but no such cases reported. 

similar to doors which can slam shut on the kid's hands, or sharp objects lying around the house which we keep out of reach of children... 

• Praise 1

For those who dunno what's going on, here is a demo....

cfec94571a3f42a9b21d9d12ef99dda7-cfec945

I have bought cabinets and wardrobes from Ikea. Instructions do make sure you secure them to the wall by means of bracket and wall mounts. It's all provided inside the package. I know coz I do the assembly myself. What comes into play is the weight. When you start putting more and more stuff into the cabinets and your child starts to put on more weight and become sort of a climber that's when bad things will happen. What I do is to go Daiso and buy more L-brackets to secure it to the wall or secure it to the adjacent wardrobe to make it studier. And also remind my wife to get rid of the old children clothes as many as possible.

Btw I'm a one man show. Buy, move, transport, assembly all diy.

When I go ikea ppl would be watching me stuff a small wardrobe and cabinet into my mpv. When I reach home I use my small trolley to move them, move/unload into the lift and back into my unit. After a short break, do assembly. I go there at 10am when they open and have things done by afternoon. Ikea best.

Coz for me my children transit from baby-toddler-children. We have different requirements. We prefer not to get expensive permanant furnitures. Used already, don't need it, dismantle discard, buy new ones. The things from ikea aren't design to last long, some are inexpensive and they are not that heavy becoz mostly compressed wood.

It's the stuff ppl put that weighs the furniture down and onto the child. The furniture on its own isn't heavy enough to kill a child.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

some people just don't have the common sense.

Simple concept of centre of gravity and distribution of weight.

just dun put heavy stuff in the top two drawers.

I think in order not to allow the cabinet to fall easily, it's either fix it to the wall with the hinges, or to fix it with a broad wooden base if you do not want to drill holes into the wall.

But I do find IKEA furnitures a bit flimsy, especially the taller ones. They way they use the DIY tools (screws and joints) to hold the whole structure doesn't seems to be holding the joints firmly and sturdy enough together.  [laugh]  

It reminded me of those grey metal filing cabinets. If filled heavy at the top but near empty at the bottom, pull upper drawer out will likely topple.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

http://stomp.straitstimes.com/singapore-seen/ikea-recalls-sladda-bikes-as-drive-belts-are-prone-to-snap-suddenly-promises-owners?amp

road vehicle recall with full refund. no proof needed.

I give ikea a plus here.

IKEA is a giant. It is a worlwide recall. The bike has been sold in 26 countries ( 6,000 bikes sold).

A few cases of the chain snapping has occured and some bikers have fallen.

The bike is sold for US399.

Weirdly, the bikes name is SLADDDA which means skid in Swedish.

The giant just want to avoid getting sued ..... ang mo sue very serious

i8xwlz3g3soc2lomunm4.jpg