Does anyone bother using tiptronic?

Soya

Tiptronic is refer to shifting with Gearstick,now,most Cars got paddle shift behind the steering,paddle shift is easier.

Yes, you're dang right! Edited by merc280v6

It's more of a gimmick... rarely use mine

No,not a gimmick once you know to use it,for example,when i exit the highway from let's say 100km/h,i used the Paddle Shift to lower 2-3 gears for engine braking,instead of brakes,the engine on be on the 'sweet spot' rpm,after the corner,just throttle,the car will go.

In fact my current 3 Cars come with Paddle shift,it is such a good feature,even i buy a new car,this is a must with it.

• Praise 1

I use it all the time in crawling peak traffic. This is to reduce the wear on my bone dry 7DSG. In the D mode, the MU tend to let the clutch slip and increase wear.

Edited by No_worries

No,not a gimmick once you know to use it,for example,when i exit the highway from let's say 100km/h,i used the Paddle Shift to lower 2-3 gears for engine braking,instead of brakes,the engine on be on the 'sweet spot' rpm,after the corner,just throttle,the car will go.

In fact my current 3 Cars come with Paddle shift,it is such a good feature,even i buy a new car,this is a must with it.

Mine doesn't have paddle shifts, need to shift gearstick to M mode then push up and down. If it's paddle shifters that would be more useful

Cars have no eyes. Drivers have eyes. That is why a proper spirited drive makes paddle shifting a necessity.

A new technology using GPS acting as 'eyes' makes paddle shifting automatic.

Those who have spent at least a few years driven manual sport car would know what I mean.

I cannot drive properly without my paddle shifter in my car. It is the next best technology besides manual gear shifting for sport car driving.

When i am not driving a sport car, the tiptronic or paddle shifter is totally useless.

Turbocharged

I manually interfere with my gearbox's shifting all the time now... But it's programmed to return to full auto quickly which I like. I usually just request an earlier upshift at cruising rpms or call for engine braking.

Yeah, very convenient. 

My previous car with paddle shifter, have to press button to engage and disengage the paddle shifters. 

Now just down or up shift at whims without even lifting the hands off the steering wheel. 

I will usually let the gearbox Auto revert to full auto after it times out. But sometimes i will long press the upshift paddle to let it take over immediately. 

Modern Autobox very 'smart',after you used the paddle to downshift,once condition return to normal,they will switch back to full Auto.

Yeah, very convenient.

My previous car with paddle shifter, have to press button to engage and disengage the paddle shifters.

Now just down or up shift at whims without even lifting the hands off the steering wheel.

I will usually let the gearbox Auto revert to full auto after it times out. But sometimes i will long press the upshift paddle to let it take over immediately.

Would that damage the gear box in the long run?

Auto gearbox changes gear all the time. So changing gears is not something unaccustomed. 

Even if you want to change gear quickly, it all depends on how fast your paddle shifter send the electrical impulse to the Transmission Control Unit to process, how fast your TCU process the command and how fast the signal to down or up gear gets translated to physical gear change in the planetary gear change system.

If you send a signal to down gear while the gearbox is in midst of changing gear, the TCU will queue the signal until it is mechanically safe to do so. 

So short answer is no. 

Would that damage the gear box in the long run?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Modern Autobox very 'smart',after you used the paddle to downshift,once condition return to normal,they will switch back to full Auto.

The DSGs remain firmly in manual mode... need to manually tell them to return to auto

The DSGs remain firmly in manual mode... need to manually tell them to return to auto

not true lah...it reverts to auto and sometimes too soon

downshift with paddle to 3 on filtering lane....by the time reach your turn to join expressway traffic, it is already in D5

best is to switch gearstick to proper manual mode first

:wacko:  :mellow:

not true lah...it reverts to auto and sometimes too soon

downshift with paddle to 3 on filtering lane....by the time reach your turn to join expressway traffic, it is already in D5

best is to switch gearstick to proper manual mode first

:wacko::mellow:

I tried using my paddle shift yesterday. Got into M4 and slow down at traffic. DSG auto reverted to D2

Mine is CVT gearbox with the gear lever shifting "6 speed". I tried to use it for 0 to cruising speed but somehow feel that leaving it on auto and just working on foot control is faster and smoother. 

Mine is CVT gearbox with the gear lever shifting "6 speed". I tried to use it for 0 to cruising speed but somehow feel that leaving it on auto and just working on foot control is faster and smoother.

Of coz, that's what CTV gearbox is best good at. Just leave the CTV gearbox to do the job automatically.

↡ Advertisement