Why incompetent people often think they’re actually the best

tudorpapa

I found this interesting read from one of the online article. Share with you guys and see what you all think. 

There’s a psychological phenomenon behind it: the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Source: https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/11/18/16670576/dunning-kruger-effect-video

Maybe you’ve experienced this at school or work before: Dealing with someone who thinks he’s much better at his job than he really is. This can not only be really annoying, but it can lead to disaster as a group project is made much more difficult by someone’s unchecked ego.

A new TED-Ed video, based on a lesson by psychologist David Dunning, dives into why this happens and why people are so bad at judging their skills in general, looking into the phenomenon known as the Dunning-Kruger effect.

“Knowing how competent we are and how our skills stack up to other people’s is more than a self-esteem boost,” narrator Addison Anderson explained. “It helps us figure out when we can forge ahead on our own decisions and instincts and when we need, instead, to seek out advice.”

“But,” Anderson added, “psychological research suggests that we’re not very good at evaluating ourselves accurately. In fact, we frequently overestimate our own abilities.”

This is true “to a degree that violates the laws of math.” For example: “When software engineers at two companies were asked to rate their performance, 32 percent of the engineers at one company and 42 percent at the other put themselves in the top 5 percent.”

So what’s going on here? There’s actually a reasonable explanation: “When psychologists Dunning and [Justin] Kruger first described the effect in 1999, they argued that people lacking knowledge and skill in particular areas suffer a double curse. First, they make mistakes and reach poor decisions. But second, those same knowledge gaps also prevent them from catching their errors. In other words, poor performers lack the very expertise needed to recognize how badly they’re doing.”

For example, how can someone know he’s a bad writer if he doesn’t know even basic spelling and grammar rules?

The good news is once people know they are bad at something — say, if they fail at a logic puzzle — they’ll typically admit to it. But some level of experience or expertise is needed for a person to come to that realization.

“That may be why people with a moderate amount of experience or expertise often have less confidence in their abilities,” Addison said. “They know enough to know that there’s a lot they don’t know.”

But knowledge can also lead to people overestimating others: “Experts tend to be aware of just how knowledgeable they are. But they often make a different mistake: They assume that everyone else is knowledgeable too.”

“The result is that people, whether they’re inept or highly skilled, are often caught in a bubble of inaccurate self-perception,” Addison explained. “When they’re unskilled, they can’t see their own faults. When they’re exceptionally competent, they don’t perceive how unusual their abilities are.”

There’s a way to prevent all of this: “First, ask for feedback from other people — and consider it, even if it’s hard to hear. Second, and more important, keep learning. The more knowledgeable we become, the less likely we are to have invisible holes in our competence.”

Keep in mind this is all just one explanation for why and how incompetent people may overestimate themselves. For examples of other explanations, check out a good rundown by psychologist Tal Yarkoni.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 11

amazing thing is..............almost everyone will have a single common character in MCF that they will link to with this article.....without mention of names...

That's as unanimous as you can get  :D

Edited by Vratenza
  • Praise 6

amazing thing is..............almost everyone will have a single common character in MCF that they will link to with this article.....without mention of names...

That's as unanimous as you can get :D

Ingenious [:p]

• Praise 4

You guys really need to stop talking about me as if I were dead.

• Praise 1

If you are replying to my post....that means it is not you lah....relac...... because by definition the person will have no self awareness of his condition. :D

lol .. 自己知 自己事...   

If you are replying to my post....that means it is not you lah....relac...... because by definition the person will have no self awareness of his condition. :D

his self deprecating sarcasm is too successful.....   :a-fun:

dont like that la... @radx is a nice guy occasionally ......

Edited by SuPerBoRed
  • Praise 4

Same same with students who always calls their friends 'stupid'. These are normally the ones at the tail ends of their cohorts......just my observations for the past few years....

• Praise 1

I found this interesting read from one of the online article. Share with you guys and see what you all think. 

There’s a psychological phenomenon behind it: the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Source: https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/11/18/16670576/dunning-kruger-effect-video

Maybe you’ve experienced this at school or work before: Dealing with someone who thinks he’s much better at his job than he really is. This can not only be really annoying, but it can lead to disaster as a group project is made much more difficult by someone’s unchecked ego.

A new TED-Ed video, based on a lesson by psychologist David Dunning, dives into why this happens and why people are so bad at judging their skills in general, looking into the phenomenon known as the Dunning-Kruger effect.

“Knowing how competent we are and how our skills stack up to other people’s is more than a self-esteem boost,” narrator Addison Anderson explained. “It helps us figure out when we can forge ahead on our own decisions and instincts and when we need, instead, to seek out advice.”

“But,” Anderson added, “psychological research suggests that we’re not very good at evaluating ourselves accurately. In fact, we frequently overestimate our own abilities.”

This is true “to a degree that violates the laws of math.” For example: “When software engineers at two companies were asked to rate their performance, 32 percent of the engineers at one company and 42 percent at the other put themselves in the top 5 percent.”

So what’s going on here? There’s actually a reasonable explanation: “When psychologists Dunning and [Justin] Kruger first described the effect in 1999, they argued that people lacking knowledge and skill in particular areas suffer a double curse. First, they make mistakes and reach poor decisions. But second, those same knowledge gaps also prevent them from catching their errors. In other words, poor performers lack the very expertise needed to recognize how badly they’re doing.”

For example, how can someone know he’s a bad writer if he doesn’t know even basic spelling and grammar rules?

The good news is once people know they are bad at something — say, if they fail at a logic puzzle — they’ll typically admit to it. But some level of experience or expertise is needed for a person to come to that realization.

“That may be why people with a moderate amount of experience or expertise often have less confidence in their abilities,” Addison said. “They know enough to know that there’s a lot they don’t know.”

But knowledge can also lead to people overestimating others: “Experts tend to be aware of just how knowledgeable they are. But they often make a different mistake: They assume that everyone else is knowledgeable too.”

“The result is that people, whether they’re inept or highly skilled, are often caught in a bubble of inaccurate self-perception,” Addison explained. “When they’re unskilled, they can’t see their own faults. When they’re exceptionally competent, they don’t perceive how unusual their abilities are.”

There’s a way to prevent all of this: “First, ask for feedback from other people — and consider it, even if it’s hard to hear. Second, and more important, keep learning. The more knowledgeable we become, the less likely we are to have invisible holes in our competence.”

Keep in mind this is all just one explanation for why and how incompetent people may overestimate themselves. For examples of other explanations, check out a good rundown by psychologist Tal Yarkoni.

Actually its not whether they are incompetent. Just that the confidence level is so high, you actually believe in what he says, like mission statement and deep shielded culture management terms that escape most of us.

Where else, we only speak about solutions, not about problems.

Worst still like those british era, when we want to get rid of a problem, we promote the people upwards.

While the Japanese culture, we just make him come to work and sit in one corner like a boy punish in school.

There is no one size fits all.

All I know is, at the end of the day, the one working like a cow with low wage will bear the brunt of this whole debacle and yet only grumble about stuff to the family, who again have no clue why you are "bringing work" home to discuss.

Skills and education play a part. But like everyone knows, what you read and learn in school is often not practical. Not because its not use or practice. Because its totally invalidate and is more of an academic exercise that a real world pragmatic experience.

Its like what someone would say to you in the office.

Take my advice, It free and I am not using it.

Heng ah, not me
  • Praise 1