Low Income and Owning a Car

kdash

You are right. Now they make life more difficult for people by discontinued the Park and Ride scheme.

LTA mentioned that the reason why Park and Ride was discontinued was due to low uptake... i guess people started to be able to afford or willing to pay to drive in and park in CBD, or choose not to drive at all... 

↡ Advertisement

LTA mentioned that the reason why Park and Ride was discontinued was due to low uptake... i guess people started to be able to afford or willing to pay to drive in and park in CBD, or choose not to drive at all... 

Do they really go and observe the situation?

As far as I see, there are still people who park and ride.

Do they really go and observe the situation?

As far as I see, there are still people who park and ride.

whoever wants to take up the Park and Ride scheme has to apply to LTA, so they have the figures. official reasons from garment are listed in the article below. 

https://www.gov.sg/news/content/today-online-lta-to-stop-park-ride-scheme-from-december

I think car sharing is something that can really work in Singapore if implemented properly. People just pick up a car from house carpark, drive to work, then park there and end the trip. After work do the same in reverse. Literally pay for what you use.

Just need to have more of these schemes implemented islandwide. I think the BlueSG model is sound, so let's see how it goes.

whoever wants to take up the Park and Ride scheme has to apply to LTA, so they have the figures. official reasons from garment are listed in the article below. 

https://www.gov.sg/news/content/today-online-lta-to-stop-park-ride-scheme-from-december

They should keep track of the usage of the people using the car park and use public transport instead of canceling the scheme. Their reasons are simply not valid enough, especially when parking charges in the CBD are getting more expensive. 

Have they introduce enough schemes to encourage the real park and ride? They can track such usage patterns by using the same chip cards for parking and public transport combination usage. They can also create wider awareness of the park and ride scheme as well, since I think not the majority of the motorists are well aware of the schemes and the actual savings they can really enjoy.

This scheme could have continued, rather than just forcing more people to the limited choices of longer crowded and unreliable public transport journeys. [thumbsdown]  

One way to save is to use mrt then escooter into cbd, very fast but for Low ranks ok. I saw one guy doing it, imagine the walking time saved during lunch but I think quite paiseh.

Edited by nazerath

One way to save is to use mrt then escooter into cbd, very fast but for Low ranks ok. I saw one guy doing it, imagine the walking time saved during lunch but I think quite paiseh.

i see ang moh guy in suit and ang moh lady in dress riding escooter zooming along cbd and orchard road   [sweatdrop]

i see ang moh guy in suit and ang moh lady in dress riding escooter zooming along cbd and orchard road [sweatdrop]

Angmo look good even when they peng Satay leh. But the walking time really cut by a lot, plus the rep, parking etc.....

• Praise 1

They should keep track of the usage of the people using the car park and use public transport instead of canceling the scheme. Their reasons are simply not valid enough, especially when parking charges in the CBD are getting more expensive. 

Have they introduce enough schemes to encourage the real park and ride? They can track such usage patterns by using the same chip cards for parking and public transport combination usage. They can also create wider awareness of the park and ride scheme as well, since I think not the majority of the motorists are well aware of the schemes and the actual savings they can really enjoy.

This scheme could have continued, rather than just forcing more people to the limited choices of longer crowded and unreliable public transport journeys. [thumbsdown]  

well i think people are still doing something similar to this now as it will still be cheaper than parking in CBD... afaik no major uproar when the Park and Ride scheme was discontinued, though i may be wrong... 

If it rains?

Not to mention the nuisance cause to other people.

no need to paiseh... many people are doing it. problem is whether the escooter can fit into the MRT or not, with the human traffic, everyone will surely diao you for taking up additional space with your escooter haha... 

another possible solution is to drive to nearby MRT station and escoot into CBD... Park and Scoot haha... 

General guidance would be NOT to spend more than 50% of ones annual salary on car(s).

So if you earn (say) $300K pa, look for cars <$150K.

Financial prudence! ðð¼

Totally agree

My income is 100k pa

That's why I decided to be prudent and bought a 9.5 yr old s5 coupe for just $49k

• Praise 3

let's see.. based on 20 days

erp $40. parking $140. road tax and insurance $100. Petrol unknown yet but i reckon about $400. total$680

Wah lau your $1600 is drive tank ar

ERP if from daily is $10, $6-7 in am $2-3 in pm.

Insurance $1.3k, road tax $2k pa so close to $300 per mth

CBD parking have $140 per mth?

Fuel, I based on 7km/l 2500km a month, petrol $2.10 per litre.

Company allocated reserved CP lot is only for big bosses de, and think they only give 1-2 lot to each company.

You are right. Now they make life more difficult for people by discontinued the Park and Ride scheme.

Or in sales dept. Office Parking also covered.

no need to paiseh... many people are doing it. problem is whether the escooter can fit into the MRT or not, with the human traffic, everyone will surely diao you for taking up additional space with your escooter haha...

another possible solution is to drive to nearby MRT station and escoot into CBD... Park and Scoot haha...

Nothing wrong with e-scooter to anywhere.

They just need to be concern with their own safety.

On the road already is wrong.

I encountered one at T-Junction just cut across diagonally.

Simply doesn’t care for traffic in either directions.

Simply doesnât care for traffic in either directions.

If work in Jurong / Tuas cannot e-scooter hor!

The heavy lorries and trucks will buang you instantly!

Simply doesnât care for traffic in either directions.

yup thats the other extreme which we have been seeing so much recently...

Maybe some park and ride sites really  low intake, but could be due to the location is too far from town area or ulu location. Looks like they did not really review the whole scheme, and just plainly give a reason and discontinued the scheme. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1