Cooking: All About Beef

chryst

anova-precision-cooker-sous-vide-wifi.jp

Bought the Anova precision cooker during Black Friday for lazy woman steaks. Was only USD$99 + $20+ shipping, arrived over the weekend. Ordered from their American site but it was shipped from Hong Kong though. It has a Singapore compatible plug. Faster ran to Foodie Market at Katong to buy me some meat!

1.5inch ribeye (sorry didn't notice pic blur when I took it)

post-196289-0-01580600-1512013820.jpg

3/4 inch A4 wagyu

post-196289-0-49469500-1512013957.jpg

Started with the ribeye first. A sea salt and fresh ground pepper rub.

17554277_10155437514367448_7693260591631

Let it sit for awhile and added rosemary and thyme.

17553708_10155437514362448_7168679138737

Into the bag (provided with the machine) with a clove of garlic.

17554130_10155437514352448_5412057243349

Throw into the pot and just wait!

17554271_10155437514372448_4816324294434

Bonus pic: "Mama, you cooking? Will I get some? I am a good boy!"

19430143_10156284013277738_7473723277566

2 hours later.... success!

17499121_10155437514552448_230805256283217629755_10155437514547448_2489058063574

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 13

in the "Throw into the pot and just wait!" part ... what's inside the pot ? water or oil or air ?

it's using a water bath usually about 60+ degree to slow cook the food. controlled by the Anova.

Angus steakhouse at taka uses sous vide then just searing the sides to give it flavour.

It gives u a very juicy steak but purists still prefer the traditional methods

• Praise 1

it's using a water bath usually about 60+ degree to slow cook the food. controlled by the Anova.

Angus steakhouse at taka uses sous vide then just searing the sides to give it flavour.

yup... sear then oven for me....  

sous vide beef cubes good... but large pieces tend to make the whole piece too soft for my personal liking 

Edited by SuPerBoRed

in the "Throw into the pot and just wait!" part ... what's inside the pot ? water or oil or air ?

slow cook in water in low temperature for one day one night [laugh]

yup... sear then oven for me....  

sous vide beef cubes good... but large pieces tend to make the whole piece too soft for my personal liking 

you got cast iron skillet?

my oven is the smaller type, so can't fit a large skillet. So i never use this method.

so I would assume that TS had water-cooked the steak then seared it for the burnt color look ?

for me I buy the frozen 500gm steaks from NTUC (about 4 slices). After its thawed, I will just heat up a huge stone wok on the stove and throw a slice into the wok and let it sit for 1 min then flip and sit for another min and then flip one more time for one more min.

I call mine the 3 min steak !! and top if off with black pepper sauce. its more on the med-done side. just good enough for breakfast !

Edited by Ysc3
  • Praise 1

Sous Vide I think mostly used by a lot of restaurants or F&B outlets selling steaks. Easy to cook to 'perfection' and saves man power, cos just throw bags of pre packed beef into the sous vide pot then quick grill before serving.

Personally, I still prefer the Julia Child's way of cooking beef. Huge slab of butter, 1 minute on each side. Then use the beef sauce mixed with red wine as dressing.

If you're going to get an Anova just to cook beef then I think you'll be better off going Jack's Place or Aston's for a budget steak. :secret-laugh:

so I would assume that TS had water-cooked the steak then seared it for the burnt color look ?

for me I buy the frozen 500gm steaks from NTUC (about 4 slices). After its thawed, I will just heat up a huge stone wok on the stove and throw a slice into the wok and let it sit for 1 min then flip and sit for another min and then flip one more time for one more min.

I call mine the 3 min steak !! and top if off with black pepper sauce. its more on the med-done side. just good enough for breakfast !

Same here. Traditionalist.

But I cook for 2 mins for each side and flip 2 times, at medium heat.

Same here. Traditionalist.

But I cook for 2 mins for each side and flip 2 times, at medium heat.

I use something like this. just heat it up until smoke appears and just throw the piece of meat in the center and cover it up.

445724452.g_400-w_g.jpg

so I would assume that TS had water-cooked the steak then seared it for the burnt color look ?

for me I buy the frozen 500gm steaks from NTUC (about 4 slices). After its thawed, I will just heat up a huge stone wok on the stove and throw a slice into the wok and let it sit for 1 min then flip and sit for another min and then flip one more time for one more min.

I call mine the 3 min steak !! and top if off with black pepper sauce. its more on the med-done side. just good enough for breakfast !

yes its water. and no i didn't sear the meat at all. it really came out with this burnt look.

edit: i see what you mean about burnt now. its probably the photo filter i used  [laugh]  its not so charred looking in real life.

Edited by chryst

yes its water. and no i didn't sear the meat at all. it really came out with this burnt look.

edit: i see what you mean about burnt now. its probably the photo filter i used  [laugh]  its not so charred looking in real life.

actually after taking from the water, you can still sear it to get the charred taste and look.

actually after taking from the water, you can still sear it to get the charred taste and look.

ownself eat ...no need so many pattern lah ...

what about curry beef cubes ? any secret styles to make it tender - other than a pressure cooker ?

Cook in water will lack the 锅气.

• Praise 1

ownself eat ...no need so many pattern lah ...

what about curry beef cubes ? any secret styles to make it tender - other than a pressure cooker ?

my wife use 牛腱 part to boil soup for only about 2 hours, very soft and tasty. Next time will try cooking curry with it.

• Praise 2

Sous Vide I think mostly used by a lot of restaurants or F&B outlets selling steaks. Easy to cook to 'perfection' and saves man power, cos just throw bags of pre packed beef into the sous vide pot then quick grill before serving.

Personally, I still prefer the Julia Child's way of cooking beef. Huge slab of butter, 1 minute on each side. Then use the beef sauce mixed with red wine as dressing.

If you're going to get an Anova just to cook beef then I think you'll be better off going Jack's Place or Aston's for a budget steak. :secret-laugh:

Astons has ok quick fix for beef cravings

Best steaks I've ever had were in a place in Tuscany called Tavarnelle.

The square in the town center is closed off every Tuesday just before it gets dark.

The butchers shop there will sell Florentine steaks cut from a large 750mm long rib aged for 42 days.  The butcher has maybe 15 such ribs available.  You choose the type of rib you want your steak cut from and the thickness you want.  Costs about S$60 per kilo including cooking cost.

You take your steak outside and tell the BBQ guy how you want your steak cooked.  Somehow this guy can cook maybe 16 steaks at a go and get each one cooked exactly as you like it.

The steak is delivered to your table in the square with baked potatoes and a salad and you order your wine separately.

Maybe 200 people eating steak and really enjoying the atmosphere around the whole thing.

Epic.

• Praise 3