Cooking: All About Beef

chryst

Twincharged

err i think u need to understand the basics of cooking.

The reasons these meats are tough/sinewy because they are cheap cuts.

U either braise them at least for 4 hours (preferably actually 6-8) or pressure cook them for a faster result. even pressure cooking will take few hours.

If u get the premium cuts of beef and mutton, then obviously it's a different story. And we don't use them for stew anyway. They will be used for on the bone lamb chops etc.

have you tried the beef at those nasi padang stalls ? any idea what cuts they are using ? personally I doubt they are using expensive cuts .... and only other rationale is like you mentioned - extended cooking period.

or maybe I try to put the tenderizer liquid with the cubes for 24hrs next time and see how ?? there should be more than one way to get around this.

Oh issit? I saw it on lazada but never tried before, seem like you quite an easy target for online shopping [laugh]

wow... this thing have been for eons ... I bought one when it was sold on "sellavision"  ... you can try to guess how old it is ...

Edited by Ysc3
↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

kekkeekke ... this is like telling you put a spoiler on your car, it will gain 10 bhp !! heheheh !

** btw, you thaw where ? room temp or fridge ? is the result blacky or bloody ?

I used the tenderizing fluid (papaya based). the frozen cubes from supermarts are packed in 500gm per pack of 9 cubes.

after I marinated it, I brought it out and then cut them into smaller pieces ... like one cube into 3 pcs and then gave them a round in the frying pan till half cooked before I poured in the curry mix and let it boil on med flame.

Frozen cube I leave it in the fridge. SG weather cannot leave outside. Rule of thumb: once you see the meat change colour you know GG liao. Will have light pink liquid.

From what I'm hearing it sounds like old/shitty beef and overcooking is the problem. Here's what I do when I cook beef curry: Sear the beef cube on each side until it's slightly blackened then drop into curry that's on low flame. 2.5hrs on that gives me bone melting meat. I also use the same 9 cube packet. Stir regularly.

This is the tenderizer I use currently. Sheng Siong.

post-196289-0-53599900-1522061308_thumb.jpg

have you tried the beef at those nasi padang stalls ? any idea what cuts they are using ? personally I doubt they are using expensive cuts .... and only other rationale is like you mentioned - extended cooking period.

or maybe I try to put the tenderizer liquid with the cubes for 24hrs next time and see how ?? there should be more than one way to get around this.

wow... this thing have been for eons ... I bought one when it was sold on "sellavision"  ... you can try to guess how old it is ...

why don't u just buy some chilled beef from the wet market and try again.

really it could be just the meat is just crap. frozen Beef cubes from supermarket ... no decent red meat is frozen. even for a relatively flavourless meat like chicken, chilled is considered better.

Duration is important. quality of the meat is important.

And u should thaw in a fridge overnight then last few hours u can put outside in a bag with cold water bath. This is to prevent the meat from spoiling.

Twincharged
(edited)

Oh issit? I saw it on lazada but never tried before, seem like you quite an easy target for online shopping [laugh]

Actually not me.. is my other half. Chef wannabe who kena sleep on sofa for 2 weeks cos HE BOUGHT A $250 KNIFE FOR DUNNO WHAT FK Edited by chryst

I also don't really know what cut of the meat they are using.

I am only guessing that those malay rendang stalls are using beef cubes but their beef comes out pretty nice.

should be beef knuckle meat also ?

I can understand the logic if it were a steak ... you hit the slice of meat ...

but how do you hit a cube ?? it won't remain a cube if you pound it like a slice of steak.

Many hours of slow cooking to have melt in your mouth meat

and if no time then use a pressure cooker.

:D

Actually not me.. is my other half. Chef wannabe who kena sleep on sofa for 2 weeks cos HE BOUGHT A $250 KNIFE FOR DUNNO WHAT FK

Twincharged

Actually not me.. is my other half. Chef wannabe who kena sleep on sofa for 2 weeks cos HE BOUGHT A $250 KNIFE FOR DUNNO WHAT FK

• Praise 1

i still defrost outside for 2-3 hours max for frozen stuff. It's not the correct way but i think it's still ok for short durations if u are eating it later. And my mum did this for 30+ years without issue.

But defrosting overnight in room temperature is a definite no-no.

But i can understand how difficult it is to thaw a frozen large piece of meat. I had problems with my turkey the last time. It took me 3 days to defrost it properly

Edited by Lala81

Twincharged

He like don't really trust us. But cooking is like that, ownself try ownself experience.

not say don't trust all the input ... I will try them ... but at them same time, explore and hope to find other ways to overcome this problem ... who knows maybe some sifu from some mountain will come and give long lost kungfu on how to prepare beef also.

btw, thanks for all the advise so far !!

eg. like I never knew not to thaw meat at room temp ... all along thought it was the only way to do so ...

Edited by Ysc3

not say don't trust all the input ... I will try them ... but at them same time, explore and hope to find other ways to overcome this problem ... who knows maybe some sifu from some mountain will come and give long lost kungfu on how to prepare beef also.

btw, thanks for all the advise so far !!

eg. like I never knew not to thaw meat at room temp ... all along thought it was the only way to do so ...

not say can't lah. but short duration.

so sometimes i thaw overnight from freezer -> fridge first, but it's still half frozen, then i thaw out in the open for the last 1-2 hrs to speed up

Twincharged

this is a chef's knife?

we not XX [:p][laugh]

Worse. It's one of those almost as seen on TV usual price 1k now 75% off knives.

So far it hasn't done any magical tricks or enabled me to cook Michelin standard food.

Twincharged

not say can't lah. but short duration.

so sometimes i thaw overnight from freezer -> fridge first, but it's still half frozen, then i thaw out in the open for the last 1-2 hrs to speed up

btw, anyone tried the method of wrapping the frozen meat in aluminum foil and it will thaw faster ? (as shown on Ch 8) ?

Worse. It's one of those almost as seen on TV usual price 1k now 75% off knives.

So far it hasn't done any magical tricks or enabled me to cook Michelin standard food.

Lol. My main knife is a 30+ USD Oxo santouka knife from amazon. 

I gave one to my mum, she never used it once ...  [dead]

btw, anyone tried the method of wrapping the frozen meat in aluminum foil and it will thaw faster ? (as shown on Ch 8) ?

The concept should be correct. But i have a stainless steel oven tray which i use instead. good enough for me.

Edited by Lala81

I cook oxtail stew once in a while using pressure cooker but I worry and always keep an eye on the pot. The darn thing never peee pee to release pressure and I have to do it manually once the indicator knob goes all the way up 2 to 3 red markings.

WMF cooker so koyak one?  [grin]

Twincharged

$250 can buy one whole set German knives wor. Cannot cook Michelin tyres but at least can åéµå¦æ³¥ or not ?

I don't even know where's the knife now. He got some corner to hide all his boliao impulse buys de.
  • Praise 3

Many hours of slow cooking to have melt in your mouth meat

and if no time then use a pressure cooker.

:D

I always use a pressure cooker these days.

50 min for ox tail which for me is always the meat that needs longest.

Beef shin is done perfectly in 30 minutes and is like butter in the mouth.

I add a rendang mix from the supermarket, can't remember which one and all peranakan aunties want to know my cooking method the taste and texture is so good.  I just tell them it needs good ingredients, luck and long long cooking.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2