What Should Your Normal Resting Heart Rate Really Be?

Ender

(edited)

If you don't want to spend money for a VO2max test in a sport clinic, here's a quick check to see how fit you are. Just need a Heart rate monitor which most runners should have. Or a blood pressure monitor.

https://www.justrunlah.com/2018/03/30/do-you-know-how-fit-you-are-3-ways-to-find-out/

Do You Know How Fit You Are? – 3 Ways To Find Out!
BY 
MEL AUTHOR  MARCH 30, 2018

It’s not easy to tell whether you are fit or not by how much you weigh, or how often you exercise, or the way you look. A good example is that of a weight-lifter. His BMI could indicate that he is overweight, however, this would be due to his muscle mass. His would be lean and his body fat percentage would be in the healthy range. Whether you are fit is not how many kilometers you can run, how many repetitions you can lift, or how heavy you can lift, or how far you can swim.

A good indication of your fitness is actually your heart rate. Here are 3 ways your heart rate can tell you how fit you are:-

#1 Heart Rate Before & After Exercise

Take your heart rate before you start your warm up and after you have completed your workout. A healthy heart will typically go back to a normal heart rate within 15 minutes of exercise. On the other hand, an unhealthy heart would struggle to return to your pre-workout heart rate. If it remains high, this possibly indicates an unconditioned heart, or that your exercise intensity was way too high for you. It could also mean that you are overtraining.

#2 Resting Heart Rate

guide-to-lowering-your-resting-heart-rat

This is one of the most effective ways to gauge your fitness. Your resting heart rate is the number of heart beats per minute while you’re at rest. An athlete typically will have a lower resting heart rate as compared to a normal person. Resting heart rate also increases with age. You should be having a RHR of about 60 – 100 bpm. Anything higher indicates that you may be having heart problems.

Read More: Understanding Your Heart Rate Zones

#3 Heart Rate During Sleep

When you sleep, it’s your body’s chance to recuperate and rejuvenate. Your heart rate during sleep should be lower than normal. This serves as a strong indicator of fitness. If your body is still high during sleep, your heart is still working hard even though it should be resting and recuperating. This is not good. Some people who exercise in the night before they sleep will find a higher heart rate during sleep. Perhaps you could switch it up and try to exercise in the morning instead.

Your heart rate provides good insight into your physical fitness levels. So, do take note!

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 2

I am not an athlete but my typical RHR is 50. I started to have skipped heart beat in recent years. Went NHC the senior consultants dunno what causes it and asked me to live with it, told me average over a few minutes my heart beat still average. I was like WTF?!

For a period of time my RHR switched to like 70 plus amd recently back to 50ish.

If I regulate my breathing and zenness I can bring it further down to mid forties. Tried that before but need to take some time.

Yeah so I am not an athlete so I suspect I have inherently weak heart

This cardiologist tells you the importance of resting heart rate and shared some tips to improve it.

• Praise 1

https://philmaffetone.com/heart-rate-check/

Heart Rate Check

By Dr. Phil MaffetoneNovember 11, 2019Health and Fitness

These two simple tests with a heart monitor could warn you of a potential cardiac issues.

Most people who exercise expect cardiovascular and other benefits, but sometimes this does not happen, or worse, the risks increase. Many are familiar with their heart rates but are unaware this data may be helpful in assessing cardiac risk. This is something everyone should be aware of when you consider rates of heart attacks in athletes may be the same as those in sedentary individuals.

With one goal being disease-prevention, we all wish to build a high-performance heart to help us power through our busy days and our workouts.

From a practical standpoint, most users will not perform standard exercise stress tests in a laboratory, but simple assessments in a best-case scenario may help evaluate low, moderate and high risk for cardiac stress. Two key heart-rate measurements you can do on your own represent some of the most important and accurate evaluations for active and inactive people alike. These simple autonomic markers for cardiac stress (and mortality) are resting heart rate and heart rate recovery.

Some still use the pulse test to estimate their heart rate, while others use the more-accurate and traditional chest strap, ear monitors or other tracking devices. Multiple evaluations, perhaps a minimum of three, can be used to estimate risk. Ongoing evaluations assess improvement.

Regardless of the means of collection, data from these rates could potentially save your life.

Resting Rate

Resting heart rate is the most easily obtained, and can generally estimate cardiac and mortality risk. Consider the following are numbers:

Low risk — resting HR less than 70 bpm.

Moderate risk — resting HR between 70 and 75.

High risk — above 75. (Recommend seeing a health practitioner.)

Heart Recovery

Heart rate recovery (HRR) is how quickly your heart rate normalizes following exertion. This can be measured during exercise (after warming up and before the onset of a cool down), such as starting at your MAF HR. Stop after one measured minute of inactivity while standing or maintaining other exercise positions, then read the recovery HR. HRR is the difference between the two numbers.

Using this HRR the following categories offer estimated risks:

Low risk — Decrease of over 30 bpm.*

Moderate risk — Decrease of 25 to 30.

High risk — Decrease of less than 25. (Recommend seeing a health practitioner.)

* A decrease of more than 30 beats is not necessarily better. Chronically overtrained athletes sometimes have autonomic imbalance where HRR decreases more than ~35 bpm, and resting HR is excessively low.

Many athletes and regular exercise enthusiasts know the value of heart rate data in their training programs, including measuring progress, or ensuring you’re burning body fat, but few realize these number can also be helpful in assessing cardiac risk. Resting heart rate and heart rate recovery are two simple methods you can use to assess your risk and they might even save your life.

Edited by Ender
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1