Manhattan Motor in Turf City shuts down

Fett

So long it's not ah gong money that one is cheating, you think they cares?

Put in simi case trust rubbish that offers no protection when fraud are involved.

Exactly. Since when has Govt ever been helpful to car buyers?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

this is biz deal, it's not a cheating case. definitely not a criminal offence.

this can happen in renovation, wedding package, restaurant booking, car rental and construction deals too.

u got inside news ah?

how u know it's not a cheating case?

he took customers' money, didn't (pay for) transfer cars, and now MIA, is normal for business?

prease lor

• Praise 1

typical sheep mental state... everything also ownself suck thumb.

the govt is there to serve the pple, if the pple got problem that cause substantial financial losses,

it is the govt's duty to craft regulation to help prevent such incidents.

further more, due to the govt-imposed taxes which jacked up car prices till universe most expensive cars,

making the financial losses so substantial, and u still think govt has no duty to do anything?

we pay them millions for fish ah?  [smash]

Govt's objective is to make car buying and ownership as difficult as can be. That's why when these things happen they turn a blind eye.

Supercharged

Exactly. Since when has Govt ever been helpful to car buyers?

have lah: COE quota & ERP help reduce jam!

Govt's objective is to make car buying and ownership as difficult as can be. That's why when these things happen they turn a blind eye.

cannot say like dat, must say, Gahment is business-friendly, and even if scammers take advantage of that oso can't blame Gahment coz is good intention mah

Actually cannot really everything rely on government , such case , the victim can engage a lawyer and sue the owner. But cost wise not worth it , as before you even see the judge U pay over 100 k to lawyer already

"Expensive" does not equate to "difficult".

Supercharged

not to rich pple lah.

but they relaxed financing restrictions, so not true they make things more difficult.

• Praise 1

Hope you are talking about MM, if MM, not true.  It is a fraud case lor

Because that poor dentist try to renew road tax just to discover that he don't own the car lor .....

I am a bit puzzled he did not check LTA portal the asset he owned .... too busy pulling teeth ??

this is biz deal, it's not a cheating case. definitely not a criminal offence.

this can happen in renovation, wedding package, restaurant booking, car rental and construction deals too.  

Jokingly, if I see this type of Signboard I won't buy lor ...... It take a cheapo to know a cheapo lor.

The Signboard so cheap and fancy print lor ..... I think I can do 1 for $50 buck lor .... or less

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/manhattan-motor-in-turf-city-shuts-down-car-buyers-may-lose-tens-of-thousands-of?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&xtor=CS1-10#link_time=1512106715

attachicon.gifbp_manhattan_motor_011217_69.jpg

Manhattan Motor in Turf City shuts down, car buyers may lose tens of thousands of dollars

Manhattan Motor closed shop after leaving more than 20 buyers without cars which they have paid for.

SINGAPORE - The names have changed, but the story is the same.

Another motor firm has closed shop after leaving more than 20 buyers without cars which they have paid for.

Manhattan Motor in Turf City, a sole proprietorship owned by used car dealer Lee Kum Kuen, had sold the cars to several buyers in the last month or so, collected the money, but did not transfer the ownership to the buyers.

The finance or leasing companies which the cars are still registered with then proceeded to repossess the cars.

Dentist Daniel Chan, 34, was among those affected. He bought a used Volkswagen Tiguan in November and collected the car on Nov 6. On Nov 15, he tried to renew road tax for the car, but could not.

He contacted the Land Transport Authority, and was told that the vehicle had not been transferred to him.

The car has since been repossessed, and Manhattan has closed shop.

Asked why he did not buy from authorised agent Volkswagen Centre Singapore, which has a used car division, he said: "I didn't want to spend too much on a car. The (Manhattan) price was right. I did an internet search on the company and there were no bad reviews.

"I've bought two used cars before, and never had a problem," he added.

He bought the six-year-old car for $70,000 and paid $50,000 in cash.

Volkswagen Centre Singapore said it does not have a similar car in stock currently, but estimated that one would cost around $50,000.

Police said they have received "more than 20" reports from consumers regarding Manhattan Motor. "We are looking into the matter," a spokesman said.

Auto Lease Pte Ltd, one of the companies that repossessed the cars sold by Manhattan Motor, had already towed back seven cars. "Four are still at large," said director Anthony Lim.

Mr Lim said such cases have become "very common".

"You don't need a licence to be a motor dealer," he said. "Buyers just have to be vigilant."

The Consumers Association of Singapore (Case) said it has received 14 complaints against Manhattan Motor since January, with 11 filed in the last two weeks.

Executive Director Loy York Jiun said: "The complaints were primarily about the lack of transfer of ownership of the car to the consumer's name.

"Some consumers feedback that despite having made full payment to the car dealer, their cars were repossessed as payment was not made to finance company.

"Case is of the view that collection of payment by the dealer with no intention to fulfil their obligations under the contract is highly unethical and it is an unfair practice under the Consumer Protection (Fair Trading) Act. Consumers can seek recourse under the Act."

But Case noted that “options are more limited in the event where a business ceases operations”. 

Manhattan Motor has not been contactable. 

Happening more and more often these days. Im sure its hurting all the other Parallel Importers as people lose faith in smaller dealers. what do you think can be done to stop this?

• Praise 1

When buying 2nd hand cars,buyers must do their due diligence before the buying process.

Check the background of the PI n visit their place.

For me , I will only go to those established ones like Orchard Credit , Car Lingual , Hui Hua , Thong Lee , Tan Wei , Speedo , Yong Lee Seng , Leco , Prime Motor n etc...

If you die die need the car that they have , just ask them to source for u..

Dun qiu Cheng n lose your hard earned money to those Chao Ah Beng cum hit n run black shop..

Why must you fall to their too good to be true deals...

End of the day , mai tam pee..

Edited by Freeder
  • Praise 14

For the guys, life is always very simple. Only 2 things can bring a guys down to bad state beyond salvage.

1. Money ( Greed )

2. Women ( Lust )

Money / greed usually associated whether is buyer or seller ( the dealer ). Buyer greedy because "tam pee" price cheap so he bite. Seller dealer also greedy, "swallowed" more den his appetite and CHOKED, suffered losses, else why end up this state? Cheap not always equal good, too bad many people always blinded by GREED & Money, & when a beautiful girl pulls half balls and show G string, steam!!! Use small head thinking already! Haha

The same for women / lust, thing with small head also sure "mati" one day.

Business world, is all same. Blinded by GREED, Money, women.

Maybe times are bad, everywhere slashing $$$$. End consumers also jia lat!!

Only maybe buying toyota or honda, "not going to cut even $1 more attitude." Zzzzzz

If married, be loyal to spouse. And please don't visit s***y b*y and get tempted. Edited by No_worries
  • Praise 2

Easy problem.

If your company sells 2 Mio worth of car annually, need to put 500k bg with LTA

If it's a brand new company. Then need at least 100k fair?

If u run road. Claim Ur bg and distribute. U will think twice about running road

Very true!

Or at least put banker's guarantee with MAS (Monetary Authority of Singapore). But Gahmen don't want to introduce new laws.

So many cases have happen already. Cars Today was an example. I bet there are many more companies who have done this and got away with it but not published in the newspapers.

If it is a few cases for a particular company, police say it's civil matter (Breach of agreement). So you have to engage lawyer etc. This cost money and then if the private company only has a $2 paid up capital, you can kiss the money you paid goodbye.

CASE only tells you to buy from Casetrust accredited dealers....

So in the end, it's BUYER BEWARE....Buy at your own risk.

• Praise 1

When buying 2nd hand cars,buyers must do their due diligence before the buying process.

Check the background of the PI n visit their place.

For me , I will only go to those established ones like Orchard Credit , Car Lingual , Hui Hua , Thong Lee , Tan Wei , Speedo , Yong Lee Seng , Leco , Prime Motor n etc...

If you die die need the car that they have , just ask them to source for u..

Dun qiu Cheng n lose your hard earned money to those Chao Ah Beng cum hit n run black shop..

Why must you fall to their too good to be true deals...

End of the day , mai tam pee..ððð

I have praised you for your honest reply. But another good alternative is those used car arm run by AD as highlighted by some bros here, if you really really need a used car .
  • Praise 1

I have praised you for your honest reply. But another good alternative is those used car arm run by AD as highlighted by some bros here, if you really really need a used car .

Yes, the used car arm run by AD may cost more but you have peace of mind.

Some cars even warranty given by them and have STA evaluation check so you know what you are buying.

A friend of mine bought 2nd hand car from a used car dealer and 3 months later went for periodic inspection, VICOM say engine number self-stamping. Big Headache! Went back to dealer, salesman say "How I know you never change engine yourself now blame us?". 

As I said, Buy with your eyes open big big if you want to buy from other dealers..

• Praise 3

Expensive to buy

Expensive to drive (ERP etc)

Troublesome (must bid COE, must follow this rule that rule etc)

Cannot anyhow drive (speed camera, TP etc)

Cannot anyhow mod

No regulations for sales (new or used or PI)

No buyer protection (dealer run road, tampering odometer)

Who say not difficult.

• Praise 1

Wah this time of news make ppl scare sia , was thinking to shortlist the Car Times as the sales agent Nina is kinda hot , now cold feet le

Edited by Minikong

Yes, the used car arm run by AD may cost more but you have peace of mind.

Some cars even warranty given by them and have STA evaluation check so you know what you are buying.

A friend of mine bought 2nd hand car from a used car dealer and 3 months later went for periodic inspection, VICOM say engine number self-stamping. Big Headache! Went back to dealer, salesman say "How I know you never change engine yourself now blame us?".

As I said, Buy with your eyes open big big if you want to buy from other dealers..

what is engine number self stamping?
↡ Advertisement