Repair stripped wheel lug bolt hole

Eyke

I'm assuming your car use lug bolts (not lug nuts), like German cars.

And the threads on the holes are damaged.

My fren used to own this shop and he can do repair of holes with helicoil.

Although the business has now changed hands, you may try to contact this shop,

Google for address: Oldvolks Place

• Praise 1

Supercharged
(edited)

Although the business has now changed hands, you may try to contact this shop,

Google for address: Oldvolks Place

thanks, tried them but they say they don't do re-thread.

eventually tried Motor EDGEvantage, and the nice pple there helped me fix it for free!

anyway, Poh Heng was the culprit:

Went to change tyres, after paying THEN they tell me one of the wheel lug bolt cannot be screwed back in.

Instead of helping to resolve the issue they caused by improper reinstallation of the wheel, they gave me the lug bolt and ask me go fix it myself.

Will never go back there again.

Edited by Eyke

eventually tried Motor EDGEvantage, and the nice pple there helped me fix it for free!

Went to change tyres, after paying THEN they tell me one of the wheel lug bolt cannot be screwed back in.

Instead of helping to resolve the issue they caused by improper reinstallation of the wheel, they gave me the lug bolt and ask me go fix it myself.

Seriously..... this type of black shop deserves to close down. Poh Heng used to be quite well reputed.

Did you screw them for this type of black service?

Supercharged

Seriously..... this type of black shop deserves to close down. Poh Heng used to be quite well reputed.

Did you screw them for this type of black service?

i was a bit stunned, coz 1st time kena this issue, so i thought just go buy a new lug bolt can liao,

thus didn't kick up a fuss.

but after getting a new lug bolt, oso can't screw in coz the hole's thread oso screwed up.

had to spend whole morning running shop to shop in industrial park to ask shops if can help,

luckily remembered Motor EDGEvantage does Volvo, so got them to help.

i was a bit stunned, coz 1st time kena this issue, so i thought just go buy a new lug bolt can liao,

thus didn't kick up a fuss.

but after getting a new lug bolt, oso can't screw in coz the hole's thread oso screwed up.

had to spend whole morning running shop to shop in industrial park to ask shops if can help,

luckily remembered Motor EDGEvantage does Volvo, so got them to help.

The threads won't get spoiled easily if the mech had handle the bolts/nuts correctly. 

I think it is before the threads of the bolt and the hole get inline, they just use the air gun to force it in, thus damaging the thread!

• Praise 3

Supercharged

The threads won't get spoiled easily if the mech had handle the bolts/nuts correctly. 

I think it is before the threads of the bolt and the hole get inline, they just use the air gun to force it in, thus damaging the thread!

yeah, should hand screw in the bolt before tightening (preferably with torque wrench set to car manufacturer's stated torque),

but the worker probably just put the bolt into the air gun/wrench and bam: cost me 1 wasted morning, petrol, & 1 new lug bolt.

henceforth, will always ask shop to hand tighten then I ownself use torque wrench to tighten.

The new owners probably didn't want to do it. Heli-coil inserts need skill and specialized tools.

My old VW van had some problem with the hole thread as well.

After going through many tyre shops, it tends to get damaged by careless mechanics.

Lug bolts can be easily replaced, but not the threads.

And now, many shops employ PRC. Once, I had to stop one guy from over-tightening. He looks hell-bent on breaking it.

Supercharged

The new owners probably didn't want to do it. Heli-coil inserts need skill and specialized tools.

My old VW van had some problem with the hole thread as well.

After going through many tyre shops, it tends to get damaged by careless mechanics.

Lug bolts can be easily replaced, but not the threads.

And now, many shops employ PRC. Once, I had to stop one guy from over-tightening. He looks hell-bent on breaking it.

actually, if you have the correct tool/insert, it's very easy to do, just screw in. 

71zUJHh8s4L._SL1500_.jpg

actually, if you have the correct tool/insert, it's very easy to do, just screw in. 

Yeap, that's one thing I never get to learn.

What I know from my fren, is that you need to drill a slightly bigger hole, use a special size tap to thread

And then a tool to insert the coil and snap it off.

Thus leaving the coil inside the hole and a new thread.

I had thought of doing the heli-coil earlier when the van oil plug hole was damaged.

But soon, I realized that hand-tightened is not that bad.

Surprisingly, the oil didn't leaked away too much and most of it remains until the next oil change.

So I didn't bother to fix the hole thread.

I did most of my own servicing.

Supercharged

Yeap, that's one thing I never get to learn.

What I know from my fren, is that you need to drill a slightly bigger hole, use a special size tap to thread

And then a tool to insert the coil and snap it off.

Thus leaving the coil inside the hole and a new thread.

I had thought of doing the heli-coil earlier when the van oil plug hole was damaged.

But soon, I realized that hand-tightened is not that bad.

Surprisingly, the oil didn't leaked away too much and most of it remains until the next oil change.

So I didn't bother to fix the hole thread.

I did most of my own servicing.

oh, maybe that's when the thread is all stripped out.

mine still salvageable by just screwing in the insert to fix the few messed up thread turns.

The thread is usually damaged by not inserting the bolt squarely in.

And then forcing it in, even after it hit restriction, causing cross-threading.

The force is usually the air gun.

With 1000 ft-lb of torque, the bolt now cuts new thread and the old one is damaged.

Edited by Kb27

oh, maybe that's when the thread is all stripped out.

mine still salvageable by just screwing in the insert to fix the few messed up thread turns.

For female crossed thread , you either need a thread chaser or tap to clean up / form the thread back to original form.

For stripped female thread , you either use a thread insert or drill a next oversize tapping hole and tap the next tread size.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

For use on vehicles that use wheel bolts

thanks, u the most knowledgeable regarding workshop tools! 

↡ Advertisement