Repair stripped wheel lug bolt hole

Eyke

thanks, u the most knowledgeable regarding workshop tools! 

Tku for your compliment, I was trained as a machinist and later as a heavy diesel mechanics and thereafter spend almost all my adult life in the automotive service industry.

• Praise 2

i was a bit stunned, coz 1st time kena this issue, so i thought just go buy a new lug bolt can liao,

thus didn't kick up a fuss.

but after getting a new lug bolt, oso can't screw in coz the hole's thread oso screwed up.

had to spend whole morning running shop to shop in industrial park to ask shops if can help,

luckily remembered Motor EDGEvantage does Volvo, so got them to help.

Should still go back and tell Poh Heng off....

• Praise 1

Actually the thread repair toolkit is easily available at hardware shops selling bolts and nuts. Around Jalan Besar Stadium there are a couple of shops selling. Just have to know the right size. There will be instructions to tell you how big a hole to drill, with the hand/machine tap to thread and insert the replacement. I usually apply loctite on the replacement thread. What regular folks usually do not have is the drill, drill bit,and tap handle. I have replaced a couple of threads with the repair kit. It comes complete with the tapping tool, 5pcs replacement threads and instruction manual. It's always good to use loctite to lock the replacement thread in place. After it's dry dan insert the bolt.

How to preserve the screw threads.

Clean the thread surface, make sure no sand or dirt is on the thread. Apply grease on the threads. Coz if the bolt rust it will be jammed and ppl will use force and damge the bolt and internal screw thread. No, it will not cause the bolt to unscrew itself. Dirt and sand will cause more wear and tear to the threads.

Edited by Watwheels

Actually the thread repair toolkit is easily available at hardware shops selling bolts and nuts. Around Jalan Besar Stadium there are a couple of shops selling. Just have to know the right size. There will be instructions to tell you how big a hole to drill, with the hand/machine tap to thread and insert the replacement. I usually apply loctite on the replacement thread. What regular folks usually do not have is the drill, drill bit,and tap handle. I have replaced a couple of threads with the repair kit. It comes complete with the tapping tool, 5pcs replacement threads and instruction manual. It's always good to use loctite to lock the replacement thread in place. After it's dry dan insert the bolt.

How to preserve the screw threads.

Clean the thread surface, make sure no sand or dirt is on the thread. Apply grease on the threads. Coz if the bolt rust it will be jammed and ppl will use force and damge the bolt and internal screw thread. No, it will not cause the bolt to unscrew itself. Dirt and sand will cause more wear and tear to the threads.

the rethread tools quite easily available,

but u need to know your fitment also.

0.25 or 0.5?

10mm or 12 mm

the rethread tools quite easily available,

but u need to know your fitment also.

0.25 or 0.5?

10mm or 12 mm

That's the thread pitch. For metric 10mm the pitch is 1.5 for coarse thread and 1.25 for fine thread for example. The pitch refers to the distance between two threads. For metric size it will be in mm.

For 12mm it will be 1.75 for coarse thread and 1.25 for fine thread.

There are inches size too.

I have both charts and the charts also let you know how big a hole to drill for close, medium and coarse clearance.

• Praise 1

That's the thread pitch. For metric 10mm the pitch is 1.5 for coarse thread and 1.25 for fine thread for example. The pitch refers to the distance between two threads. For metric size it will be in mm.

For 12mm it will be 1.75 for coarse thread and 1.25 for fine thread.

There are inches size too.

I have both charts and the charts also let you know how big a hole to drill for close, medium and coarse clearance.

[thumbsup]

ya my mistake. remember wrongly

too long never touch own car these days. haiz

just MHO

after reading all the sharing above.

Is it not as simple job as we think can be fixed DIY,

First : you may not know what type of tools to buy

Second : you may not know how to do even instruction attached 

Third : it may take a long time to carry out the job . 

Forth : you may further damage it because of wrong procedure.

MHO : Cost of the tools and time running around to search and fix can be very tiring. etc

I believe most tire workshop in Sg also don't know about all the repair kit and Tools.

first or all my view is that damaged thread may not be damaged by the WS (Poh Heng for this case ) , I said may not only, it could be the last WS shop had done. screwed up the Screw job without our knowledge .

make it simple , that damaged could be Before or After the last WS.

I don't know how bad is the damaged and if the internal thread is total damaged (Botak) i think is more cost effective to replace the whole Rotor.

just FYI , most new Volvo Bolt tightening spec is M14x1.5 mm correct me if I am wrong (except the Nuts tightening)  

just MHO

after reading all the sharing above.

Is it not as simple job as we think can be fixed DIY,

First : you may not know what type of tools to buy

Second : you may not know how to do even instruction attached 

Third : it may take a long time to carry out the job . 

Forth : you may further damage it because of wrong procedure.

MHO : Cost of the tools and time running around to search and fix can be very tiring. etc

I believe most tire workshop in Sg also don't know about all the repair kit and Tools.

first or all my view is that damaged thread may not be damaged by the WS (Poh Heng for this case ) , I said may not only, it could be the last WS shop had done. screwed up the Screw job without our knowledge .

I don't know how bad is the damaged and if the internal thread is total damaged (Botak) i think is more cost effective to replace the whole Rotor.

just FYI , most new Volvo Bolt tightening spec is M14x1.5 mm correct me if I am wrong (except the Nuts tightening)  

Sharp observation, it's easy  said than done. To the best of my knowledge,  hardware shops in Singapore handling repair and service tools for general engineering works will not stock ( due to almost no or low demand ) specialty repair tools for automotive industry . They will normally source from companies who service the automotive industries ( hardly more than handful in Singapore ).

Supercharged
(edited)

first or all my view is that damaged thread may not be damaged by the WS (Poh Heng for this case ) , I said may not only, it could be the last WS shop had done. screwed up the Screw job without our knowledge .

I don't know how bad is the damaged and if the internal thread is total damaged (Botak) i think is more cost effective to replace the whole Rotor.

no way is the previous shop, since the lug bolt was all the way in when i went to Poh Heng.

and when i tried to hand screw the lug bolt back in, it jammed after just 3 half-turns or so.

if it thread was already crossed by previous shop, how did Poh Heng even manage to get the lug bolt out (not to mention how the previous shop got the lug bolt all the way in when the crossed threads are so near the surface/outside).

anyway, no point wasting time asking them to fix since they don't even know who can fix it, and not willing to leave the car there with them till god knows when, especially when they already shown me that they are unwilling to even admit fault.

go scold them/bang table also no point, will just get my own blood pressure up.

just thankful that i didn't have to change the wheel hub (the flat part with the lug bolt holes) which would've cost $200+ (integrated with wheel bearings), and that i managed to find a friendly and professional workshop that helped me out.

Edited by Eyke
  • Praise 1

Hi bros,

Anyone know where to find lug nut key?

I lose my lug nut key so now cannot change the brake disc.

I need help.

Stamford Jurong or Leong Seng Tyres that big shop has many lugnut Brand’s keys. Hope can help to release... but then you have to throw the lug nut Liao. They may be able to help you open but don’t think they will sell the key

Stamford Jurong or Leong Seng Tyres that big shop has many lugnut Brand’s keys. Hope can help to release... but then you have to throw the lug nut Liao. They may be able to help you open but don’t think they will sell the key

yup. mostly have to buy the whole set to get the key.

if u not their regular, i doubt they so nice to sell or lend u 1 key only [;)]

Hi bros,

Anyone know where to find lug nut key?

I lose my lug nut key so now cannot change the brake disc.

I need help.

would you mind take a picture of the Lug nut here so we know better

by the way what car are you drivng ? and is it Orignal Lug nut ?

Edited by Roberttan

yup. mostly have to buy the whole set to get the key.

if u not their regular, i doubt they so nice to sell or lend u 1 key only [;)]

Buy new branded lug nuts from them again or do wheel alignment

Neutral Newbie

Stamford Jurong or Leong Seng Tyres that big shop has many lugnut Brandâs keys. Hope can help to release... but then you have to throw the lug nut Liao. They may be able to help you open but donât think they will sell the key

I try Stamford but they dun have

would you mind take a picture of the Lug nut here so we know better

by the way what car are you drivng ? and is it Orignal Lug nut ?

I have the pic but not sure how to post here. I newbie here.

How to attach pic here?

BTW I am driving VW CC. Original Lug Nut

Edited by Joycelim79
↡ Advertisement