Does boredom lead to trouble?

Lmws214

Some sharing.

These days, I have seen that people are bored and often get himself/herself into trouble of some sorts. Is it true? I may be wrong. I sat at the coffee shop once for some while and have observed that this teenager was feeling so bored that he started to use a penknife to slice the table to make scratch marks. He seemed to be waiting for his friend and while waiting he decided to do what he did. Then I approached him to ask him to stop. He was not happy and showed me that face" mind your own business!". Then he walked away.

What are your views on this ? Do share if you seen or know of people.

Cheers and thank you.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I believe there is some attitude and behavior problem in that person, many times nothing much got to do with boredom lo.  [rolleyes]

Edited by 13177

Some sharing.

These days, I have seen that people are bored and often get himself/herself into trouble of some sorts. Is it true? I may be wrong. I sat at the coffee shop once for some while and have observed that this teenager was feeling so bored that he started to use a penknife to slice the table to make scratch marks. He seemed to be waiting for his friend and while waiting he decided to do what he did. Then I approached him to ask him to stop. He was not happy and showed me that face" mind your own business!". Then he walked away.

Cheers and thank you.

Boredom in the right dose stimulates creativity and also allows a person to find intrinsic motivation to find other things to do. Hence it's important to help cultivate your own ways of relieving boredom for yourself. And especially for children, time to be bored is not really a bad thing. 

Just like many of us singaporeans find the life in rural countries or aussie or NZ boring. Granted that boredom is one reason why there's so much alcoholism and drinking going on there over the weekends whereby many teens/men/women start the weekend by getting drunk on fri afternoon.

Sample size needs to be larger.

Boredom to different people can have different results.

I know of a friend who got bored and started to pick up leather sewing, and it's now his sideline... I also know of people who are bored that take up courses to improve their own knowledge, or skills...

So the real question is: What does boredom motivate you to want to do? Create or destroy?

Some sharing.

Cheers and thank you.

May not be directly related to boredom for the above case. Maybe he has certain mental conditions.

But one thing I notice more is that  people tend to be more impatient thesedays. With an online world now, our needs can be met pretty quickly and conveniently so people has lost the virtue of  being patient. And it shows from the way people drive or work......less tolerance to others, more complain, less want to talk to others but rather just text, etc. etc.

when was the last time when you take the MRT ride, everyone like 90% of people in the train are all using the mobile phones? Nowadays even people at dinner table are using phones or checking phones , me guilty too.

Hence I have been to a food eatery where diners have to put /surrender the phone in a box and place the box on the side table so that dinner can be of quality time and less distraction.

Sharing

May not be directly related to boredom for the above case. Maybe he has certain mental conditions.

But one thing I notice more is that  people tend to be more impatient thesedays. With an online world now, our needs can be met pretty quickly and conveniently so people has lost the virtue of  being patient. And it shows from the way people drive or work......less tolerance to others, more complain, less want to talk to others but rather just text, etc. etc.

When people begin to be less independent and depends more on others, they become less and less patient.

It's how you channel that boredom lor.

I get bored easily. But I always find my own things to do if I'm bored, and don't bother others. Sometimes I just go Wikipedia and read random things. Quite interesting to learn stuff from there.