Billion Dollar Bus Service Enhancement Program Completed

kdash

with the ramp up in bus services and number of buses, hopefully this can be part of the redundancy for people in case MRT breaks down...

Billion-dollar Bus Service Enhancement Programme completed with 1,000th bus added to fleet

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/billion-dollar-bus-service-enhancement-programme-completed-1000th-bus-added-fleet

"SINGAPORE — The government’s billion-dollar Bus Service Enhancement Programme (BSEP) that was rolled out in 2012 to tackle bus congestion and long waiting times has wrapped up, as the 1,000th government-funded bus and 80th new bus service planned under the initiative hit the road.

The five-year effort translated to a ramping up of bus capacity for about 70 per cent of bus services – or 218 out of 309 basic services – either through the deployment of higher capacity buses or the operation of more frequent bus trips, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) said on Saturday (Dec 6)."

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

The journey doesn't end here even they have added 1,000 buses and 80 new routes.

There are still some services that still needs improvements.

More double deckers are still needed.

There are still areas with bad connections, e.g. no direct bus service from Northwest to Northeast.

And what happened to the quiet and peaceful bus service?

Please do not be complacent yet.  :a-no:

So this BSEP completed meaning they would not improve other bus services which do not fall onto this program? And no more new buses will be added? Anyway, this BSEP rolled out in 2012 since now, dont think it have benefits the bus services and the area that i have/had take. Seems like this program is only benefit more to SMRT service standard, cause i notice after this program rolled out, basically all the buses in smrt have been replaced with new buses, and the frequency of SMRT buses indeed improved a lot and many bus route runs on double decker. Whereas for SBS buses, i do not see great improvement la, majority of their buses still using the old scania bus, and double decker buses seems very precious on SBS bus service.

So this BSEP completed meaning they would not improve other bus services which do not fall onto this program? And no more new buses will be added? Anyway, this BSEP rolled out in 2012 since now, dont think it have benefits the bus services and the area that i have/had take. Seems like this program is only benefit more to SMRT service standard, cause i notice after this program rolled out, basically all the buses in smrt have been replaced with new buses, and the frequency of SMRT buses indeed improved a lot and many bus route runs on double decker. Whereas for SBS buses, i do not see great improvement la, majority of their buses still using the old scania bus, and double decker buses seems very precious on SBS bus service.

Because SMRT buses was damn terrible before BSEP. They can only improve when the govt intervenes. They really can't be bothered to buy new fleets and the right fleets to suit Singapore bus operations. Need LTA to spoon feed them. They leave it to LTA to change their buses, when their buses were so old and badly maintained before BSEP comes in.

As for SBST, because majority of its fleet is still under its assets, like the older Scania K230UB, a number of the older Volvo B9TL, B10TL and Dennis Tridents, and part of the newer Wright Volvo B9TL and Mercedes Benz Citaro. Because they always buy in big fleets for replacements and expansion. However SBST recently do receive some of the new buses like the MAN A95 double deckers, better specs than the SMRT ones, and running on some East side services like 47, 76.

Because SMRT buses was damn terrible before BSEP. They can only improve when the govt intervenes. They really can't be bothered to buy new fleets and the right fleets to suit Singapore bus operations. Need LTA to spoon feed them. They leave it to LTA to change their buses, when their buses were so old and badly maintained before BSEP comes in.

As for SBST, because majority of its fleet is still under its assets, like the older Scania K230UB, a number of the older Volvo B9TL, B10TL and Dennis Tridents, and part of the newer Wright Volvo B9TL and Mercedes Benz Citaro. Because they always buy in big fleets for replacements and expansion. However SBST recently do receive some of the new buses like the MAN A95 double deckers, better specs than the SMRT ones, and running on some East side services like 47, 76.

Damit...

You REALLY into buses

Edited by Playtime

Damit...

You REALLY into buses ðð

You in the industry or just really realllllyyyy happy to ride them?

No one can debate u Liao..

haha ya i fully suspect bro @dach is a super bus fan (pun intended haha)... was just waiting for him to post in this thread

I do find bus services have improved over the years, waiting time for most of my bus trips is now shorter. Of course, helps to plan the journey with a bus app (I use SG Buses) or use the timing arrival board at some bus stops.

Actually we don't have to keep getting new buses, think we seldom use our buses to their full designed life span. Think I read before our buses are actually exported to other countries and continue to run there. I do travel on public buses in HK and I must say ours are in better condition in general.

For peak hour travel or trips to say Orchard, MRT is still the way to go. Buses have their limitations.

I do find bus services have improved over the years, waiting time for most of my bus trips is now shorter. Of course, helps to plan the journey with a bus app (I use SG Buses) or use the timing arrival board at some bus stops.

Actually we don't have to keep getting new buses, think we seldom use our buses to their full designed life span. Think I read before our buses are actually exported to other countries and continue to run there. I do travel on public buses in HK and I must say ours are in better condition in general.

For peak hour travel or trips to say Orchard, MRT is still the way to go. Buses have their limitations.

The statutory lifespan of our public buses is now 17 years. Extensions can be given prior to approval from LTA, like the bus is still in good condition, or fleet logistical problems. An example is the extension of the buses bought in the 1990s, in which they are extended to 19 -20 years. The buses were in relatively good condition and are needed to enhance the fleet size for increasing demands at the moment while the new bus purchase are still in the process of procurement and assembly.

While i agree that some of these buses, especially those SBS ones, should be kept longer, maybe used till its 30 years of age, but problem is as the age passes, some of the models are already long after EOL, finding parts and maintenance is difficult and costly. Also commuters have always complained about old buses. 

Other than slower, I think buses are better for commuting, as it is very flexible, able to transport many people to many places at one time, and provide better alternatives. 

• Praise 1

haha ya i fully suspect bro @dach is a super bus fan (pun intended haha)... was just waiting for him to post in this thread ððð

to me, the age of the buses do not matter as much as new bus services and new routes to better serve the public... generally most of the buses currently running are still in good condition...

in my area which is a mature estate, i do not see many new trunk services since 2012, so maybe most of the new services are at the newer estates...

whatever it is, its still good to see SMRT removing their bendy buses and having double deck buses which has higher human capacity and takes up smaller road space haha...

Age of the bus may not matter but i find those SBS scania bus is like riding a boat lo, ride quite jerky and bouncy lo. Even one of my friend who don't have motion sickness, can ride on any buses also commented those scania bus is jerky. I guess it should be due to the small tyre size on those buses, that's why bus not very comfy.

Age of the bus may not matter but i find those SBS scania bus is like riding a boat lo, ride quite jerky and bouncy lo. Even one of my friend who don't have motion sickness, can ride on any buses also commented those scania bus is jerky. I guess it should be due to the small tyre size on those buses, that's why bus not very comfy.

i see... i still remember the old buses in the 80s and 90s where the drivers just chiong all the way and open the doors before even reaching the busstops haha...

i do notice some drivers nowadays brake quite suddenly, and even argue with passengers who complain... and looks like from certain specific nationality...

i see... i still remember the old buses in the 80s and 90s where the drivers just chiong all the way and open the doors before even reaching the busstops haha...

i do notice some drivers nowadays brake quite suddenly, and even argue with passengers who complain... and looks like from certain specific nationality...

Nowadays taking bus must hold tight to the pole, if not high chance will lose your balance and might fall down. Cause drivers now love to jam brake. And if take those SBS scania bus even must hold very tight to the pole, cause the bus super jerky, if balancing no good. Lol.

• Praise 1

Even SMRT was terrible before BSEP, it doesnt mean SBS is better la. Still dont understand why all buses from SBS did not replaced, they just merely add on some new buses. So if the type of buses which last time SBS had purchased are not comfy to ride on, commuters have to endure taking these buses for a very long time before they will be scrapped. Actually if the type of buses are nice to ride on, i dont really mind if the bus age is old.

Even SMRT was terrible before BSEP, it doesnt mean SBS is better la. Still dont understand why all buses from SBS did not replaced, they just merely add on some new buses. So if the type of buses which last time SBS had purchased are not comfy to ride on, commuters have to endure taking these buses for a very long time before they will be scrapped. Actually if the type of buses are nice to ride on, i dont really mind if the bus age is old.

So you want to pay for the fleet renewal? 

The buses they bought, the Scania K series, from 2007 to 2010, are only 10 years old for the oldest fleet and 7 years old to the youngest fleet. Since you are saying that SBS should scrap these buses prematurely before their useful lifespan of 17 years, are you going to pay the money on such kind of wastage for the newer fleet you wanted?

Be glad that there are enough buses now to cater for the demands, enough to improve the frequencies, enough to introduce new services. And these buses are already modern, low entry and air con equipped. People are more than happy that a bus came to take them to a destination. Seriously what more you want to ask? Go back to the days when you have to wait for a bus for an hour, and non air con buses?

And then you complain again.

So you want to pay for the fleet renewal? 

The buses they bought, the Scania K series, from 2007 to 2010, are only 10 years old for the oldest fleet and 7 years old to the youngest fleet. Since you are saying that SBS should scrap these buses prematurely before their useful lifespan of 17 years, are you going to pay the money on such kind of wastage for the newer fleet you wanted?

Be glad that there are enough buses now to cater for the demands, enough to improve the frequencies, enough to introduce new services. And these buses are already modern, low entry and air con equipped. People are more than happy that a bus came to take them to a destination. Seriously what more you want to ask? Go back to the days when you have to wait for a bus for an hour, and non air con buses?

And then you complain again.

So it was indirectly the fault of SBS back then by buying so many of these buses, never get feedback or find out if the buses they bought is comfy or not. So now these buses are only 10 year old and yet the bus already so bouncy and jerky. Actually there are also many bendy buses that SMRT was using, dont think all of them are very old but seems like many have disappeared from the road after the BSEP started. If those buses have not used for at least 17 years and scrapped, also consider scrap prematurely lo?! Looks like this is how our bus operators mindset are, when people complaint, they dont analyse and think why people complain, always have the mentality of take it or leave it, dont complain so much. No wonder there are so many problems deeply implant in our public transport.  [rolleyes]

Anyway, if i no need to take SBS bus, i dont really bother if those scania bus ride like a boat or not. Like last time my area is run by SMRT buses, so i seldom take SBS buses.

Edited by 13177

So it was indirectly the fault of SBS back then by buying so many of these buses, never get feedback or find out if the buses they bought is comfy or not. So now these buses are only 10 year old and yet the bus already so bouncy and jerky. Actually there are also many bendy buses that SMRT was using, dont think all of them are very old but seems like many have disappeared from the road after the BSEP started. If those buses have not used for at least 17 years and scrapped, also consider scrap prematurely lo.

Anyway, if i no need to take SBS bus, i dont really bother if those scania bus ride like a boat or not. Like last time my area is run by SMRT buses, so i seldom take SBS buses but now not anymore liao.

It's not like these buses have no air con or difficult to climb up, and there are more than enough seats for you to choose. Do you even know that the new MAN A22 single deckers have much less seats than the Scania buses? So are you going to complain these MAN buses as well with less seats and narrow rear aisle?

You seriously do not know about the age of the bus fleets.

Scania K230UBs - Registered between 2007 to 2010, estimated deregistration years 2024 to 2027

Mercedes Benz O405G articulated buses - Registered between 1996 to 2004, deregistration years 2013 to 2021.

The articulated buses are much older, of course they have to go first. And LTA wants to get rid of them faster to improve the bus services with more buses.

Good bus or not so good bus, as long as it is maintained properly like SBS, why do I have to complain so much unless the frequencies are that bad? Even if the bus is good, it will be like shit if it is poorly maintained, hot air con, dusty seats, blacken and dirty window sills, insects dead or alive in the bus, uncleared litter, etc, this was the condition of buses when SMRT was at its worst. No matter how much I have complained, they won't do much until the govt have to intervene.

New Volvo B8L tri-axles double decker prototype spotted testing on Lornie Rd.

Volvo-B8L-video.jpg

Euro 6 Double Deck buses procured by LTA

http://landtransportguru.net/euro-6-double-deck-buses-procured-by-lta/

2017-71-1-800x445.jpg

2017-71-4.jpg

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has put up a tender for the Procurement of Euro 6 Double Deck Diesel Buses on Thursday, 28 December 2017 (Contract Ref. PT322).

This large scale tender comes after the procurement of 50 diesel hybrid buses and 60 electric buses earlier in the same year. While the number of units has yet to be announced, it is believed that at least 200 units will be procured.

Euro VI (Euro 6) buses were first introduced in December 2017 with the launch of SG2017C, a MAN A95 bus and Singapore’s first Euro IV bus. A Volvo B8L, registered as SG4003D, has yet to enter revenue service.

Tender submissions close on 25 Jan 2018 at 4:00PM

↡ Advertisement