Star Wars: The Last Jedi (SPOILER ALERT)

Blueray

How's this compared to Episode 5 ?

Do you mean by how similar they are? How Luke/Rey goes in search of a reluctant master... while the rebel alliance/resistance-republic are chased away from their base.

Yes... Ep 8 is similar in that way... but a bit more light-hearted... bit more fun... a good movie

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Do you mean by how similar they are? How Luke/Rey goes in search of a reluctant master... while the rebel alliance/resistance-republic are chased away from their base.

Yes... Ep 8 is similar in that way... but a bit more light-hearted... bit more fun... a good movie

Edited by Blueray

Overall I enjoyed this movie.

This is one of the SW movie that fall out of the norm in terms of the traditional soap of previous movies...

WARNING: major spoilers ahead!

Unlike past SW movies, this one has full of "decoys" to throw you off tracks from predictinf the overcome of the movie. I find all these decoys refreshing as it shows how a SW fan who "know it all" could be so conditioned to the past plotlines that they automatically thought all SW movies will follow the simliar plot or at least conform to the SW lore.

Point of no return...

Some fans couldn't fathom the direction and were disappointed, but as a casual fan, I find it refresh as it total throw us off to predict what to expect for EP9.

I will attempt to list some of the decoys attempted by this movie:

1) The trailer is full of decoys. All the deception already started here.

a) We were sort of lead to believe that Kylo Ren will kill Leia and we were most certain of it since Carrie Fisher died during post-production and they had change the plot to cater for her death. But the actual movie shows otherwise, not only did Kylo not push the button to kill, Leia survived till the end of the movie.

b) In the trailers, we were lead to believe that Leader Snokes has got hold of Rey and tries to corrupt her into the darkside of the force, we see how she asked Kylo to show her place in all this. But it's all decoy to lead you to believe that Rey is going to the darkside. Of course in the movies it's quite a different direction.

c) In the trailers, it's presented in such a way it's like a rehash of EP5, with the new AT-AT, Rey meeting Luke, but it's far from EP5 in terms of storyline.

2) The toys, mechandize and movie posters are deceptively misleading.

a) If you look at Rey's clothes in the toys, it's in dark grey and dark brown leather tones. According to the Jedi Order's code, Jedi are discouraged from wearing dark color robes and tunics as it symbolized that you are partially influenced by the darkside. This is why in EP1,2 and 3 all Jedi are dressed in white, beige or light brown with the exception of Anakin who is wearing dark brown and black suit, defying the Jedi code, not to mention Count Dooku.

b) This is more of a fan observation but in all SW poster, the villian is always lurking at the background. But in EP8 guess who is lurking in the BG? It's Luke Skywalker! There are theory that he has turned darkside! Even in the movies there are subtle hints to mislead you but we all knew it wasn't the case

Movie decoys:

3) The most glaring decoy of all is Leader Snokes. I totally didn't see this coming. in Ep 1,2 & 3, senator Palpatine lurks behind Maul and Anakin as the mastermind, Ep 4,5 & 6 the Emperor lurks behind Darth Vader so naturally we are conditioned to believe Kylo is the new Darth and and Snokes is the new Emperor. But nope, Snokes is a "SMOKE" in the plot, the decoy to make us  believe that he planned it all. With him "departed" we can no longer predict the outcome in Ep9 and how Kylo and Gen Hux will lead the first order. Anything can happen....... And NO, his purpose is served, Snoke will not return from the dead.

4) Vice Admiral Holdor, from the start, we were lead to believe she is a weak commander with no plan and no idea. I was even convinced she is a traitor that lead the first order to the rebels, but in the end, it's all part of the plan, another decoy character

5) Thought Leia is a goner since she died IRL, but she force-floated back like chang-er to the ship!!

6) Rey training the lightsaber with backhand grip, another hint that she may turned darkside as backhand grip is forbidden in the Jedi Order and used mainly by Sith. But then again the jedi order is gone so the rules are lost.

7) We were led to believe the Code Breaker is the new Han Solo, a mecenary who will turn good. I was even thinking perhaps he will come to his senses to save Finn and Rose. In the end, he is as scum as he gets. A small decoy here.

8) The rebel walking in the ice and "bleeding". In the end "it's salt!"

9) We were midled to believe Luke when to help the resistance. In the earlier scene we saw a submerged X-Wing, a hint that he can still leave the planet if he wants to (with the force). During the fight, I half guessed he is not there and it's only a projection due to his lightsaber (was destroyed by Kylo and Rey) and his well groom face. I guess he is hiding behind the mountains or some rocks in the same planet, in the end he actually force-project himself while still in his hermit planet! Super major decoy!

10) When he try to burn the Jedi tree and in the end Yoda helped him, I tot that's it! Never did I know Rey had took the books with her and it's safe in the Falcon! Another Decoy.

11) Black guy wants to sacrifice himself. With the death of Snokes and Plasma, I really tot he's gotta die. But was saved! I guessed sacrifice was too cliche in SW lore.

12) Carrie Fisher's death and the script change announcement, was surprised she didn't die in the whole movie! I guess it a mark of respect for her. I believe in Ep9 they will explain that she died off-screen, just like what they did to "the doc" in "Cars 3" as a mark of respect.

Other observations in the movie:

1) R2D2 got less than 1 min screen-time

2) Chewbacca got about 5min screen-time

3) Asian Girl Rose alot of screentime

4) What's with the chained dice?

5) BB8 can blow

6) when Rey fall into the hole and saw the mirror, at first she made the first move but in the end she is merely following the other actions. It symbolize she question being a chicken and egg question.

7) hyperspeed crash, a first in the SW lore.

8) The stable boy forced-grab his broom. Only 40% audience noticed it.

That's all. Hope you guys had fun watching. Please share you thoughts too!!

Edited by Pocus
  • Praise 4

Not a bad movie actually although a bit draggy. Many twists and surprises...

But I just feel it lacked something... :mellow:

originality ?  [:p]

Rubbish instalment...trigger no senses whatsoever.

Ah mah with goggle could do video call and gave some professional advice in the midst of a battle...brilliant act...

Is snoke blood related to voldemort?? They looked alike...

Ben?!?! He should be banned from the future instalment...the ultimate weak link in the recent episodes.

Ah mah with goggle could do video call and gave some professional advice in the midst of a battle...brilliant act...

Ben?!?! He should be banned from the future instalment...the ultimate weak link in the recent episodes.

Snoke is so weak.

I thought he could be the ultimate bad guy.

Snoke is so weak.

I thought he could be the ultimate bad guy.

He look powerful but the way he kena killed is so lame.

If like that also can, then past sith lords can just  sneakily kill the Jedis with their light saber still hanging on the waist.  

Best scene for me is seeing the red Elite Praetorian Guards (Emperor's Royal Guard) in action, and I'm impressed. Captain Phasma again a huge flop, don't see any reason for this character, big disappointment. 

Overall the movie is fine. Just lack that Star Wars magic I feel.

Siao lang. What insurance company would cover them in the event of a war?

These ppl got air in their heads.

bulls**t article lah. No insurance company will cover war machines or machine involved in war.

You called? Edited by BenTong

Backhand grip is not really a darkside saber fighting skill. Ahsoka uses that. 

6) Rey training the lightsaber with backhand grip, another hint that she may turned darkside as backhand grip is forbidden in the Jedi Order and used mainly by Sith. But then again the jedi order is gone so the rules are lost.

↡ Advertisement