K-pop star Jonghyun commit suicide

Yamapi

He was suffering from depression. And thousands of Singaporean fans of South Korean pop group SHINee turned up in a sea of black and white at Hong Lim Park on Wednesday (Dec 20) night to pay their respects to the band's lead singer Kim Jong Hyun at a memorial service organised for him.

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/a-black-and-white-memorial-for-shinees-jonghyun-by-singaporean-fans-at-hong

power of kpop in sg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

My son was telling me that from their social medias news floating ard, more than 100 have commit suicide or attempted suicide because of his death. 

ultimate stupidity!!!! <_<

But then again, it is no secret that life of a k-pop start is very tough.  -_-

• Praise 1

RIP... from the outside, all the pop stars, movie stars and celebrities seem to be living the good life, but they have no rest from the public scrutiny... jin stressed... 

artists in korea become a commodity, every year they produce thousands and thousands of them, everyone trying to make it to the top. 

cannot underestimate the influence of these korean artists, even fans of different races (chinese, ang mo, malay, indian , etc) went crazy about them, even though they dun have a clue of what these singers are singing   [grin]

Fans offer support to one another to cope with K-pop star's death

Melanis Tai Yunita Ong
Dec 21, 2017 06:00 am

NP_20171221_MTJONG21-LCC_1682278.jpg?ito
Some fans sang songs and others were sobbing at Jonghyun's memorial. TNP PHOTO: GAVIN FOO

More than 1,000 turn up to honour Jonghyun, who died on Monday

In an unprecedented outpouring of grief for a pop star, more than 1,000 fans descended on Hong Lim Park yesterday evening to attend a memorial for Jonghyun, the lead singer of K-pop boy band Shinee, who died on Monday.

Organised by a team of fans here, the event was announced on Twitter on Tuesday and widely shared on social media.

Half an hour before the start at 7.30pm, sombre-faced attendees in black and white - mostly teen girls - had already formed a long line to pay respects to the 27-year-old whose death has been ruled a suicide.

Jonghyun, whose full name is Kim Jong Hyun, struggled with depression, according to a note he left behind.

He was discovered unconscious in an apartment in Gangnam district, at around 6.10pm (5.10pm, Singapore time) on Monday, after he sent his sister text messages alluding to a "final farewell".

His sister then called emergency and ambulance services, saying she thought he might be attempting suicide. He was rushed to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Shinee, which debuted in 2008, had performed at a concert in Singapore last month. The band's hit songs include Ring Ding Dong and Juliette.

Jonghyun released his first solo album in 2015.

Fans told The New Paper that they had not seen a memorial on such a scale here before.

To attend, they had to fill up a lengthy registration form online or on-site.

The form required them to fill in their IC number, indicate the objects they were taking to the event and to agree to several conditions, including behaving respectfully and to call helplines instead of attending the event if they were thinking of harming themselves.

Participants above the age of 16 had to give consent to the collection of their personal information and those younger had to declare that a guardian had acknowledged the collection of personal information. The registration form was closed temporarily at 3pm yesterday "due to overwhelming response".

Despite the large turnout at Hong Lim Park, organisers kept everything orderly.

They cordoned off much of the park and allowed fans to enter in a controlled manner, conducted bag checks and ensured participants were registered.

They declined to comment for this report but were overheard telling attendees that they were expecting more than 1,000 people to show up.

Upon entering the park, fans, many holding roses and light sticks, were directed to a makeshift shrine with photographs of the star. Many left Post-it notes, messages and flowers before sitting in groups on the grass quietly. Some sang songs and others were openly sobbing.

A student who wanted to be known only as Eluuka, 22, said she felt Jonghyun deserved a proper memorial beyond Internet tributes.

"I never thought that a favourite celebrity of mine would die when I am still so young," she said, adding that she wished mental health was taken more seriously in the region.

Singapore Polytechnic student Kay Lim, 18, had encouraged fans to share their feelings with her on Twitter. She said 10 fans reached out to her.

"Most just needed a listening ear. They expressed how they felt empty and helpless after Jonghyun's passing," she said.

Since Jonghyun's death, memorials have been held all over the world, including cities in the US and Chile. Fans in Sydney and Melbourne are planning memorials later this week.

RIP... from the outside, all the pop stars, movie stars and celebrities seem to be living the good life, but they have no rest from the public scrutiny... jin stressed... 

but no matter how stress.

their life much better then alot of ppl outside

anw when i was a kid, we too poor to chase idol,

so i wont understand the feeling also

• Praise 3

My son was telling me that from their social medias news floating ard, more than 100 have commit suicide or attempted suicide because of his death.

ultimate stupidity!!!! <_<

But then again, it is no secret that life of a k-pop start is very tough. -_-

I can sympathize with those who commit suicide because of breakups or whatever.

But to kill yourself over some fellow who doesn't even know you and wouldn't have given a damn about you is retarded.

• Praise 4

Personally I find these very unhealthy for our society. We appreciate their talent and pay to enjoy them but that is about all.

To pay a leg or arm for that talent or to die for them, need to send for medical examination liao. 

We need to kick the media over glamorizing idols for their own gains. They must act as a responsible media and the authorities should take away their licence. 

• Praise 1

Personally I find these very unhealthy for our society. We appreciate their talent and pay to enjoy them but that is about all.

To pay a leg or arm for that talent or to die for them, need to send for medical examination liao. 

We need to kick the media over glamorizing idols for their own gains. They must act as a responsible media and the authorities should take away their licence. 

Nowaday, entertainment news also comes from non-traditional channel and not regulated.

How to take way their license?

Only unker/aunty read traditional media

not only our society, is the whole world. last time dun have social media people also went crazy over Beatles in the 60s.
  • Praise 1

Poor people --> Financial problems, everyday stress

Rich people --> emotional problems, everyday depress.

Staying in the middle is probably the best. A little bit of each problem, but you will get by without getting insane.

The way the Beatles was popular was sort of different ? It was like a new kind of sound when people didn't have many choices of music, together with some kind of hippy culture and anti-war sentiments.

The kpop culture today is plastic surgery and autotune vocal to create an out of this world perfect image. Of course there is still hard work, but not sure what it represents. YOLO?

Singing may not be needed in the future as there's already computer idols created that can sing like humans. The perfect money making machine, no need to pay for talents.

last time good voice or good music was rare since all just started, however, i think 50% of the fans probably not because of their music, but the members.

Same for today or every generation, if not music then must be packaging of the look or the charisma. 

People deemed creative are more than 30-40 percent more likely to be depressed and also attempt suicide. Nothing unusual.

↡ Advertisement