2018 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross

Stratovarius

Remember the eclipse? His SUV brother is born. Front foggies seems too big though. Remember Mit used to say they may evo their SUVs (somehow they retracted that statement recently). Maybe this is the model they are referring to. Wonder if this will arrive in SG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g79iujwY930

In the video at around 4:30 mins the ang mo mentioned that the eclipse cross engine comes with both direct injection and port injection. Is this true? Cos I cannot find this info when google for Mitsubishi 4B40 engine....

In the video at around 4:30 mins the ang mo mentioned that the eclipse cross engine comes with both direct injection and port injection. Is this true? Cos I cannot find this info when google for Mitsubishi 4B40 engine....

I think is only direct injection. Watched a few other videos and non mention the engine uses both.

Test drive it with my wife.

My wife as passenger at back seat the comment is spacious and comfortable during the ride.

Me as a test Driver feel as below;

1. Not as firm as tuscon, where it felt a bit swaying than tuscon.

2. Turbo kick in nicely and smoothly. Just like honda jade turbo i tested few weeks ago.

3. Boot space quite large.

4. Steering wheel ring feel too thin.so make the holding not so firm and not so comfortable. This need to do extra wraping up to personal feel.

Overall the car is great. Will be in my list for consideration.

• Praise 1

Follow. Currently on Qashqai 2.0 (old model)

Am targeting:

Qashqai 1.2T

Subaru Forester 2.0FNA

Mit. Eclipse X 1.5T

Since i am ready to compromise and downgrade from driving 2.0 (budget constraints like road tax, insurance etc.)

• Praise 1

Am targeting:

Qashqai 1.2T

Subaru Forester 2.0FNA

Mit. Eclipse X 1.5T

Since i am ready to compromise and downgrade from driving 2.0 (budget constraints like road tax, insurance etc.)

I think Forester will suit you since you have been driving a 2.0l.

It's also selling at a pretty good price now, for a 2.0l car.

Am targeting:

Qashqai 1.2T

Subaru Forester 2.0FNA

Mit. Eclipse X 1.5T

A 1.2 turbo petrol or 1.5 turbo petrol usually deliver its max torque at lower RPM compared to a 2.0 NA, I feel it might not be a downgrade in terms of power
  • Praise 2

Am targeting:

Qashqai 1.2T

Subaru Forester 2.0FNA

Mit. Eclipse X 1.5T

Hi JinnKoh,

So far what is the price that you have been quote for eclipise?

Care to share more?

You can PM me.

Just curious not much comment on this eclipse model....

Wonder if this car model is over rate or not so popular with the mass?

• Praise 1

So far any one have bought eclipse cross... can share more details and freebies? Or already got the car?

Thanks

Got it. Been driving the AWD version (I'm a SGean living in Oz) of the Cross for the past week so I can give a bit of insight into the car. Just don't ask how much I bought the car unless you wanna experience heartache.

Build quality/Exterior:

Solid build quality as you'd expect from a Japanese made car. One of the forumers mentioned of the light car door and I do not disagree, but not exactly something that'd be niggling as the doors close easily. Otherwise, I can find no faults on the exterior. They slapped on a nudge bar on mine so it looks more bad-ass (and I can kill me some dingoes). Check out their accessories list so you can pimp it up a bit. The double sunroof is pretty nifty also although its more aesthetic pleasing than anything else.

Interior/Boot/Comfort:

I went shopping and compared it against Tiguan/Golf Alltrack, CX-5 and X-Trail and the interior is something you wouldn't expect from a Mitsubishi or this particular segment at this price range. It looks very refined and classy with the orange threads on the leather seats and trim, gloss trims on the dashboard/console and faux carbon fibre trims on the door. The Outlander and Pajero Sport, which I had also considered, paled in comparison. So far, my wife and daughters mentioned that the seats are more comfortable than the Tiguan that I last drove. I like the fact that the rear seats can move 200mm. My daughters are not exactly tall so I could move the seats a fair bit and gain more boot space. I managed to stash a big picnic towel and a large tarp at the crevice created by moving the seats. Driver ergonomics is also good with the high riding position. I'm a bit miffed with the position of the two USB ports though. Phone is rather intrusive against the gear stick. Make sure you get a short mobile phone cable. Also, the rear seats don't fold down completely but it shouldn't detract it's functionality. More like an eyesore really.

Technology/Entertainment:

I got the top-of-the-range model so all the available technology was in store. Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Departure Warning, AEB, Sensor headlights/wipers, auto dipping high beam. Still getting used to all the technology and the ACC can be a bit scary at times. Even the base model has a decent amount of tech thrown in. Seamless connectivity with iOS or Android. Australian models come with a cool Lexus-esque touchpad though. 

Ride Quality/Engine:

For an SUV, the ride is a bit firm. Even though I'm picking up a fair amount of shitty Darwin road deformities, it does not adversely affect steering. You can feel a bit of roll on sweeping roads at cruising speeds but that's to be expected from a high riding SUV. But otherwise, it feels very planted. Steering response is precise. Now it took me a while to get used to the CVT but now I'm having a bit more fun. Maximum torque comes early and overtaking is a breeze. It feels quicker than the claimed 9.7 sec century sprint but you have to bear in mind that this is not a sporty car despite the coupe heritage. I've taken her to 120km/h but that's about it as she's still running in. Linear delivery of power off the lights until about cruising speeds. I would go so far to say that the CVT's uninspiring but it's not raising pulses either. But I would say its a significant improvement over other CVTs that I've driven. And the 1.5 liter turbo engine pulls its weight and does what is required without fuss.

Packaging/Pricing:

I don't know what C&C is offering but the Oz dealers are aggressively pushing the Cross. Rumour has it that the production of ASXs and Outlanders were halted temporarily to push the Cross out to North American, Australian and European markets. My friend's brand new ASX was delayed for a month. The dealers are throwing in a $700 nudge bar here with all the usual freebies of upgraded carpets and weathershield. The dealer called me up and handed me a goody bag yesterday with Eclipse Cross monogrammed items such as caps, powerbank, pen, picnic blanket and key chain. I reckon C&C would be throwing in a fair deal of goodies also. For the price I'm paying here, I would say its a good deal when I compare it against top-of-the-line segment mainstays like the CX-5, X-Trail, Highline Tiguan or Outlander.

Overall:

Although it's early days, I'm beginning to form the impression that the car is more functional rather than sporty. It does what is required without fuss as long as you're realistic with expectations. But I've had strangers compliment on the sporty looks of the car. And this is saying a lot from a city that is flooded with SUVs. Two of my colleague have order theirs after seeing mine. The rear end of the car has garnered divided opinions but you cannot deny that it does stand out from the mediocre. And I love it anyhow. I'll be taking her to unsealed roads and blood her AWD capabilities soon enough.

Hopefully this should give you an insight into the car. Cheers!

Edited by mirkhan_ariffin
  • Praise 4

Got it. Been driving the AWD version (I'm a SGean living in Oz) of the Cross for the past week so I can give a bit of insight into the car. Just don't ask how much I bought the car unless you wanna experience heartache.

Build quality/Exterior:

Solid build quality as you'd expect from a Japanese made car. One of the forumers mentioned of the light car door and I do not disagree, but not exactly something that'd be niggling as the doors close easily. Otherwise, I can find no faults on the exterior. They slapped on a nudge bar on mine so it looks more bad-ass (and I can kill me some dingoes). Check out their accessories list so you can pimp it up a bit. The double sunroof is pretty nifty also although its more aesthetic pleasing than anything else.

Interior/Boot/Comfort:

I went shopping and compared it against Tiguan/Golf Alltrack, CX-5 and X-Trail and the interior is something you wouldn't expect from a Mitsubishi or this particular segment at this price range. It looks very refined and classy with the orange threads on the leather seats and trim, gloss trims on the dashboard/console and faux carbon fibre trims on the door. The Outlander and Pajero Sport, which I had also considered, paled in comparison. So far, my wife and daughters mentioned that the seats are more comfortable than the Tiguan that I last drove. I like the fact that the rear seats can move 200mm. My daughters are not exactly tall so I could move the seats a fair bit and gain more boot space. I managed to stash a big picnic towel and a large tarp at the crevice created by moving the seats. Driver ergonomics is also good with the high riding position. I'm a bit miffed with the position of the two USB ports though. Phone is rather intrusive against the gear stick. Make sure you get a short mobile phone cable. Also, the rear seats don't fold down completely but it shouldn't detract it's functionality. More like an eyesore really.

Technology/Entertainment:

I got the top-of-the-range model so all the available technology was in store. Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Departure Warning, AEB, Sensor headlights/wipers, auto dipping high beam. Still getting used to all the technology and the ACC can be a bit scary at times. Even the base model has a decent amount of tech thrown in. Seamless connectivity with iOS or Android. Australian models come with a cool Lexus-esque touchpad though. 

Ride Quality/Engine:

For an SUV, the ride is a bit firm. Even though I'm picking up a fair amount of shitty Darwin road deformities, it does not adversely affect steering. You can feel a bit of roll on sweeping roads at cruising speeds but that's to be expected from a high riding SUV. But otherwise, it feels very planted. Steering response is precise. Now it took me a while to get used to the CVT but now I'm having a bit more fun. Maximum torque comes early and overtaking is a breeze. It feels quicker than the claimed 9.7 sec century sprint but you have to bear in mind that this is not a sporty car despite the coupe heritage. I've taken her to 120km/h but that's about it as she's still running in. Linear delivery of power off the lights until about cruising speeds. I would go so far to say that the CVT's uninspiring but it's not raising pulses either. But I would say its a significant improvement over other CVTs that I've driven. And the 1.5 liter turbo engine pulls its weight and does what is required without fuss.

Packaging/Pricing:

I don't know what C&C is offering but the Oz dealers are aggressively pushing the Cross. Rumour has it that the production of ASXs and Outlanders were halted temporarily to push the Cross out to North American, Australian and European markets. My friend's brand new ASX was delayed for a month. The dealers are throwing in a $700 nudge bar here with all the usual freebies of upgraded carpets and weathershield. The dealer called me up and handed me a goody bag yesterday with Eclipse Cross monogrammed items such as caps, powerbank, pen, picnic blanket and key chain. I reckon C&C would be throwing in a fair deal of goodies also. For the price I'm paying here, I would say its a good deal when I compare it against top-of-the-line segment mainstays like the CX-5, X-Trail, Highline Tiguan or Outlander.

Overall:

Although it's early days, I'm beginning to form the impression that the car is more functional rather than sporty. It does what is required without fuss as long as you're realistic with expectations. But I've had strangers compliment on the sporty looks of the car. And this is saying a lot from a city that is flooded with SUVs. Two of my colleague have order theirs after seeing mine. The rear end of the car has garnered divided opinions but you cannot deny that it does stand out from the mediocre. And I love it anyhow. I'll be taking her to unsealed roads and blood her AWD capabilities soon enough.

Hopefully this should give you an insight into the car. Cheers!

Thanks for the detailed review.  [thumbsup]

Your car should be the first batch on the roads. Hope to see your new Eclipse Cross on the roads soon.

↡ Advertisement