Keppel Corp pays S$570m to resolve bribery probes

kdash

many amdks esp those who are not based in sg are not in the know

but a big case like this.... habis liao

ð¬ð

you think amdk really squeaky clean ar? Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement

From the current news, it doesn't seem like this guy is the scapegoat leh. He's the inside guy who spilled the beans to USA. Being a us citizen, he can probably get away with whatever plea agreement they give him and avoid coming back to us for punishment. Other fellows probably got no where to hide.

i didn't read everything but if this guy spill the beans and is safe in USA, i smell fish liao. it is a conspiracy by USA to cheat our money lor. 

they are very good in bullying small countries like us. karma on them soon. 

you think amdk really squeaky clean ar?

that’s besides the point

btw amdk companies had also been caught previously too and given hefty penalties under fcpa

• Praise 1

i didn't read everything but if this guy spill the beans and is safe in USA, i smell fish liao. it is a conspiracy by USA to cheat our money lor.

they are very good in bullying small countries like us. karma on them soon.

Like my sifu says, you should read everything.

Yes. What is done may be modus operandi in a country like Brazil but the damage it has done to our squeaky clean reputation is Irreparable given this is a Temasek Co. Will there be an episode 2 for damage control?

here's a common scenario....

u work for a sg company and hunt for big international projects

your potential clients respect you because you bring the sg values - competency, professional etc

you and team work very hard for months, 16-hour days, and when the bid is finally announced, you won fair and square... lowest bidder, best value, etc etc

your teams meet, set date for signing ceremony by both CEOs, to be witnessed by president/ruler/king etc

a week before signing you heard its not happening as president/ruler/king is 'not happy' ie he wants his slice, or project goes to next lowest bidder

what do you do?

1. walk away as its unprofessional, goes against company values etc etc

2. give him what he wants

3. engage a middle man to take care of the 'problem' and pay his fees

such scenarios are faced by many foreign giants across many fields when doing biz outside europe and us.

damned if you do, damned if you dont

Edited by Karoon
  • Praise 6

your potential clients respect you because you bring the sg values - competency, professional etc

you and team work very hard for months, 16-hour days, and when the bid is finally announced, you won fair and square... lowest bidder, best value, etc etc

your teams meet, set date for signing ceremony by both CEOs, to be witnessed by president/ruler/king etc

a week before signing you heard its not happening as president/ruler/king is 'not happy' ie he wants his slice, or project goes to next lowest bidder

what do you do?

such scenarios are faced by many foreign giants across many fields when doing biz outside europe and us.

This is a question for the CEO to decide. All I can say is that at my payscale, I would rather quit, report then company and find a new job has be involved in this.

But I believe everyone has a price...

what do you do?

means you are incompetent... didn’t do enough due diligence before putting in the resources to get the bid

and you still want to make it worse by bribing?

This is a question for the CEO to decide. All I can say is that at my payscale, I would rather quit, report then company and find a new job has be involved in this.

But I believe everyone has a price...

I had a shouting match with my boss over being asked to do something similar. End up my colleague was arrowed to do, he is younger and dumber.. so he do.

I didn't quit.. but there was an impact.

Still, never regretted.

Just wanna comment/ ask? What is the difference between bribery and giving donations so that a child can enter a good school? It looks kind of similar except one is under table and one over table? But bribes can be over table also, no?

And I disagree somewhat with @kusje. Sometimes resignation is not the solution. Cos you might have dependants who need your salary. Or your staff whom you are responsible for might have family members depending on them and your resignation might affect their jobs as well especially if the deal in question is important in keeping the department afloat. You don't need to be ceo. Maybe just a middle manager. And I don't think a ceo will say let's bribe. He will probably say what do you think and throw the problem back to you.

As @karoon said, damn if you do, damn if you don't.

Edited by Philipkee
  • Praise 2

Oh cool, did he say that everything is in order now and that they have taken care of matters?

But i reckon he didnt apologise right?

I havent read the report yet.

Do not be hard on him, he might be a volunteer for the job too, didn’t ask for it !!

Reminds me of PM's rally speech...........

http://www.pmo.gov.sg/newsroom/prime-minister-lee-hsien-loongs-national-day-rally-2014-speech-english

Keppel Corp illustrates what we are trying to achieve. I visited Keppel’s Offshore and Marine (O&M) Shipyard at Tuas recently and talked to their people, both their management as well as the staff. I was deeply impressed, both by what they have achieved but also by their can-do spirit and confidence.

Keppel O&M values every worker and the tone is set from the top over many years by leaders like Mr Choo Chiau Beng and sustained by the current Keppel leadership. So, well done, Keppel! Keppel illustrates that you can progress by acquiring deep skills and knowledge throughout your career and there are different ways to deepen your skills and knowledge, by learning on the job or by going for higher qualifications as you work, and progressively, or both. And you should look for the best ways to learn, learn what is relevant, apply that. Do not go on a paper chase for qualifications or degrees, especially if they are not relevant because pathways and opportunities to upgrade and to get better qualifications will remain open throughout your career. It is never the last chance. You always have the possibility to advance, to improve yourself, to take another step as long as you are working, as long as your mind remains fresh and active and you dare to go.

• Praise 3

Just wanna comment/ ask? What is the difference between bribery and giving donations so that a child can enter a good school? It looks kind of similar except one is under table and one over table? But bribes can be over table also, no?

And I disagree somewhat with @kusje. Sometimes resignation is not the solution. Cos you might have dependants who need your salary. Or your staff whom you are responsible for might have family members depending on them and your resignation might affect their jobs as well especially if the deal in question is important in keeping the department afloat. You don't need to be ceo. Maybe just a middle manager. And I don't think a ceo will say let's bribe. He will probably say what do you think and throw the problem back to you.

As @karoon said, damn if you do, damn if you don't.

Hmm... Sound like u been there done that...

I had a shouting match with my boss over being asked to do something similar. End up my colleague was arrowed to do, he is younger and dumber.. so he do.

Still, never regretted.

U simi company? I go Leepork.....

Still, never regretted.

Well, I wouldn't resign immediately... 

But I wouldn't stay too long either. Like PK says, need to balance between financial requirements.

quick question

pay $570M liao means case closed? ... move on

Case closed for company.

But not case closed for individuals involved.

quick question

pay $570M liao means case closed? ... move on

Cos this is different from ahtc.

No need bring up in Parliament, no need competing best actor, best script, best special effects performances from Vivian, kbw, various ST editors etc etc.

↡ Advertisement