Keppel Corp pays S$570m to resolve bribery probes

kdash

If CEO is smart enough not to get his hands dirty, why would some low ranking fellow wanna take the blame? It's not just getting fired you know? You might be jailed and for what? 20% salary increase next yr?

PRECISELY!! Was looking at possible jail time if caught.

The most ridiculous part for my case is I wasnt even doing sales and thus has no target to hit. So there was no commission or increment at all for anyone.

Stupidity to the max. I see it as some misguided credit claiming attempt.

U simi company? I go Leepork.....ð

Wait a Kenna Toto then I tell u
↡ Advertisement

maxresdefault.jpg

Cos this is different from ahtc.
No need bring up in Parliament, no need competing best actor, best script, best special effects performances from Vivian, kbw, various ST editors etc etc.

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 3

Yes. What is done may be modus operandi in a country like Brazil but the damage it has done to our squeaky clean reputation is Irreparable given this is a Temasek Co. Will there be an episode 2 for damage control?

Hanging them out to dry? "Separation"...Just wondering if more will be asked to go.

post-24635-0-84963600-1514514202_thumb.jpeg

hahahaha.... saw it during breakfast.

my first impression, some lower folks will be punished... others will be protected. they want to close it asap.

Zwi Skornicki, the former third-party commercial representative for Keppel in Brazil, told a judge that five leading executives, including current Keppel Offshore & Marine Ltd. Chief Executive Officer Chow Yew Yuen, authorized him to bribe public officials in exchange for Petrobras contracts that often exceeded a billion dollars. Keppel denied the allegations in a July 24 statement, said it has zero tolerance for illegal activities, and that it will “take all necessary steps to eradicate such conduct if discovered.”

The other Keppel executives who allegedly knew about and authorized the kickbacks are Tong Chong Heong, a former senior executive at Keppel Corp.; Tay Kim Hock, a former CEO of Keppel Fels Brasil; Tay Kim Hock, the current CEO at Keppel Fels Brasil; and Choo Chiau Beng, a former Keppel Corp. CEO, according to Skornicki’s testimony given on July 21 to judge Sergio Moro, who heads the so-called Carwash investigation. The testimony was published on a court website as part of the court record.

“The agency relationship with Mr. Skornicki had been put on hold. In view of his admission to illegal payments, we will terminate the agency relationship,” Keppel said in an e-mailed response on July 29.

http://gcaptain.com/keppels-man-in-brazil-says-managers-backed-bribes/

• Praise 1

wah ... all CEO level [lipsrsealed]

The other Keppel executives who allegedly knew about and authorized the kickbacks are Tong Chong Heong, a former senior executive at Keppel Corp.; Tay Kim Hock, a former CEO of Keppel Fels Brasil; Tay Kim Hock, the current CEO at Keppel Fels Brasil; and Choo Chiau Beng, a former Keppel Corp. CEO, according to Skornicki’s testimony given on July 21 to judge Sergio Moro, who heads the so-called Carwash investigation
Edited by Wt_know

If CEO is smart enough not to get his hands dirty, why would some low ranking fellow wanna take the blame? It's not just getting fired you know? You might be jailed and for what? 20% salary increase next yr?

It's sometimes not just that. My friend and ops manager ever asked me some questions while teaching me the ways of management.

1) How many of us actually read the minutes of meetings? To ensure attendance of meetings and objections to certain actions are duly recorded and to object if any inaccuracies are found? Cos if anything happened, the minutes of meeting can be submitted as evidence.

2) How many of us follow up a verbal conversation with an official email with the words "as spoken?" Someone said had a shouting match with the ceo but what if the ceo, in court, turn around and said actually that someone agreed to it? And the shouting match was of something irrelevant? Any written proof?

So sometimes it's not that someone wants to do it but it's because they do not know how to protect themselves and without evidence, you cannot achieve anything except paint yourself as a target. And resignation after whistle blowing can be taken as evidence of guilt of sabotage in which all blame is now attached to you unless you have written evidence, which how many of us know to obtain?

In the keppel case, the whistle blower was from the legal department. ? Lawyer? So what does this say? People in legal dept know how to cover themselves as opposed to "rank and file" management?

Edited by Philipkee
  • Praise 2

It's sometimes not just that. My friend and ops manager ever asked me some questions while teaching me the ways of management.

1) How many of us actually read the minutes of meetings? To ensure attendance of meetings and objections to certain actions are duly recorded and to object if any inaccuracies are found? Cos if anything happened, the minutes of meeting can be submitted as evidence.

2) How many of us follow up a verbal conversation with an official email with the words "as spoken?" Someone said had a shouting match with the ceo but what if the ceo, in court, turn around and said actually that someone agreed to it? And the shouting match was of something irrelevant? Any written proof?

So sometimes it's not that someone wants to do it but it's because they do not know how to protect themselves and without evidence, you cannot achieve anything except paint yourself as a target. And resignation after whistle blowing can be taken as evidence of guilt of sabotage in which all blame is now attached to you unless you have written evidence, which how many of us know to obtain?

In the keppel case, the whistle blower was from the legal department. ? Lawyer? So what does this say? People in legal dept know how to cover themselves as opposed to "rank and file" management?

It makes me think in this case, it goes higher. so many C level involved somemore. of cos must close it down asap to limit damage... who knows where it could lead.

Probably cut a deal when he found out he will be sacrificed.

its damning enough whats known so far. (even more damning that it didnt break earlier/bigger in local media.).

Edited by Playtime

This world is like that. who sit in the board for keppel and why are they not taken to task? didn't they appoint and are responsible for their staff action?

so what is bribery and what is not? giving benefits for serving is consider bribery? things like free parking, special entry to schools or applications for HDB, etc?

if you buy a house with discount and along the way have direct or indirect dealing with that company, ok? Having meals or even flying over on their account can also be considered as bribery lor. 

Just want to pick or not. 

• Praise 1

means you are incompetent... didn’t do enough due diligence before putting in the resources to get the bid

and you still want to make it worse by bribing?

post-9528-0-79956600-1514520403.txt

• Praise 1

There's all kind of reasons someone can give to avoid doing the right thing one lah. 

hahahaha.... saw it during breakfast.

my first impression, some lower folks will be punished... others will be protected. they want to close it asap.

Let's see.

somehow i am getting the vibes here that quite a few people here are not adverse to paying bribes to clinch deals in countries rife with corruption so as to climb the corporate ladder in the company

good luck then if you think this way

I cannot give bribes but if any company is looking for

someone to entertain important customers in fancy

restaurants and KTVs please pm me. Don't even

have to pay me a lot and I will work hard every night

for you. Very hard.  [thumbsup]

:D

• Praise 1

somehow i am getting the vibes here that quite a few people here are not adverse to paying bribes to clinch deals in countries rife with corruption so as to climb the corporate ladder in the company

ðð

How much was the bribe and how much this executives are paid for their salary? Dont think they have the depth to come up with the amount from their own pocket....

↡ Advertisement