Singaporeans killed in Arizona highway accident

Jman888

apparently driver doze off   [sweatdrop]

3 Singaporeans killed, 1 injured in Arizona highway accident
26 Dec 2017 09:00PM (Updated: 26 Dec 2017 09:57PM)

SINGAPORE: Three Singaporeans were killed and another injured in a road accident in the United States last Friday (Dec 22).

The four were en route to the Grand Canyon in Arizona in a silver Hyundai sedan, when it collided head-on with a Dodge van.

The Hyundai was travelling northbound on State Route 64 and "crossed the painted median, colliding with a green Dodge van travelling southbound", the Arizona Department of Public Safety said in response to Channel NewsAsia's queries about the incident.

"The Dodge van travelled off the roadway and into a ravine. The Hyundai then collided with a third vehicle."

The driver of the Hyundai and two passengers were pronounced dead at the scene, while another passenger in the Hyundai was taken to Flagstaff Medical Center.

The driver of the Dodge van was also pronounced dead at the scene, and four passengers in the van were taken to Flagstaff Medical Center.

No injuries were reported from the third vehicle.

Initial US media reports suggested that the Singaporeans had been travelling in the van.

The injured Singaporean is currently in a stable condition and remains warded in hospital, Channel NewsAsia understands.

The Arizona Department of Public Safety said it would not release the identities of those killed until it confirms that all next of kin have been notified.

Channel NewsAsia understands the Singapore Consulate General in San Francisco is rendering its assistance.

Source: CNA/nc

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

This means that the Singaporeans were in the Hyundai and not the van, if 3 were killed.

Heard on the radio this morning, the sole survivor is an NTU student. Those killed are her parents and younger sibling.

Edited by Beehive3783

Sigh... RIP to the deceased...

Should be a family on vacation, i suppose... 

What should be a joyous and happy occasion ended in grief. Hope the sole survivor will recover well and stay strong.

easy to loose concentration in long drive and sometimes our body auto moves to the left since we are used to right side driving. I'm always reluctant to drive in right hand drive countries. Almost got into an accident in Vietnam coming out of minor road cos I look right-left-right instead or left-right-left coming out.

• Praise 1

Driving on the wrong side could be a strong possibility. I'm sure many of us who hv driven in US did make that mistake at certain point

• Praise 1

Long straight road not easy to drive, can doze off easily especially if it is a long drive of many hours. Hence it is always good to change drivers if one is tried. Safety first very essential. RIP to the decreased. God bless.

• Praise 3

The thing is, most people will still choose to self-drive iin foreign land for free and easy sight seeing, whether it is USA or Japan or wherever. It is part of the activity.

• Praise 2

yeah clearly lose concentration, crossing the median

Possibility is that after driving a long straight stretch of road with a 'left' hand drive vehicle on the right side lane,the mind gets tire & driver tend to lost concentration and thinking that he was driving in SG roads... :wacko:

So the vehicle veer to the left side and thereby head-on with on coming vehicle... [smallcry]

:a-rip:    :a-rip:

• Praise 1

i feel LHD driving straight not so jialat

it’s the turning ... if did not stay alert can easily turn into oncoming traffic (head on) [sweatdrop]

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

The thing is, most people will still choose to self-drive iin foreign land for free and easy sight seeing, whether it is USA or Japan or wherever. It is part of the activity.

I only drives in any countries where it has the same as SG. Right-hand drive vehicle. [drivingcar]

↡ Advertisement