Singaporeans killed in Arizona highway accident

Jman888

i feel LHD driving straight not so jialat

it’s the turning ... if did not stay alert can easily turn into oncoming traffic (head on) [sweatdrop]

yes it's the turning, especially in cities...

Not so much out in the country or highway.

↡ Advertisement

yes it's the turning, especially in cities...

Not so much out in the country or highway.

yeah in cities with multiple lanes

each time when i need to turn i always hope there is another car in front of me ...

That's the danger of driving with one's "instinct", after driving becomes more of a habit, than having eyes wide open. A lot of drivers here do that, and once they drive into unfamiliar grounds like some roads become one-way or merging lanes, they become dangerous just driving with "instinct". This is similar to driving blindly following GPS without reading road signs.

as I said, easy to loose concentration in long drive. Due to fatigue which one may not realise, then instincts and even complacency sets especially in rural traffic. Its the body's natural reaction. Frequent stops and switching drivers can help to minimise. It's not similar to blindly following GPS

RIP... sometimes better not to drive overseas if not confident. no shame not to drive.

Edited by kdash
  • Praise 1

another stange thing for LHD in US (not sure apply to all states)

when you are the most right lane, Red light you can turn because you make a small turn into the lane

for several time i did not turn and kena horned gao gao

unlike spore there is no Green turn right but just Red light (straight) but you can turn right just have to check the traffic

The thing is, most people will still choose to self-drive iin foreign land for free and easy sight seeing, whether it is USA or Japan or wherever. It is part of the activity.

Ya, if not it will be very boring.

More important thing is to have enough sleep, have a person to take over you whenever possible and plan your route. 

similar fatal accidents happened in RHD countries like Australia and NZ before

I think fatigue is the main reason

I drove in Australia twice. There were a few times after lunch that I was dead tired and almost dozed off, for the first trip. On the second trip, i told my wife that everyday after lunch, i need to take a short power nap of min 15 minutes before we get going if it's on the road... 

It was si bey useful, and somewhat necessary.

• Praise 5

It is good to have someone beside the driver to talk to, or feed the driver.  This will prevent him from dozing off.  But blowjob is a no no.  Lol. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

similar fatal accidents happened in RHD countries like Australia and NZ before

I think fatigue is the main reason

agree with the fatigue part. I was the sole driver on 2 of such trips - 1 LHD and 1 RHD.

but what i learnt is to rent a slightly more powerful car than necessary. A less powerful vehicle saps more of my energy trying to move it according to the regulated speed.

and of course, the mandatory coffee or can of coffee in the car is necessary for longer drives. but should not exceed > 2 hours straight where possible. stop and take a break.

• Praise 1

When I was driving in Iceland. I also have meet an incident where the opposite driver happened to cross the centre lane when approaching me and fortunately the driver managed to get back into lane in time. That was so Scary that There was nothing I could do to prevent it.

• Praise 1

Driving on the wrong side could be a strong possibility. I'm sure many of us who hv driven in US did make that mistake at certain point

Yes, i think thats quite likely.

Anyway, its a real tragedy.

I hope the young girl has the strength to carry on.

Losing one’s family like that is a very painful thing.

• Praise 4

Yes, i think thats quite likely.

Anyway, its a real tragedy.

I hope the young girl has the strength to carry on.

Losing oneâs family like that is a very painful thing.

ð¢

A real tragedy indeed and i can feel her pain.

Hope too that NTU will let her defer her studies until she can get truly back on her feet and maybe even waive off the remaining of the fees if she lacks financial support

• Praise 6

When driving overseas lhd or rhd i constantly remind myself:

"i must always be nearer to the divider than my passenger, or i'll soon be six feet under"

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Typically should be going from LV to GC via I40 then HW64. That drive is 4hr+ with not much scenary or rest stops and HW64 is the last stretch.

Very likely it's fatigue setting in.

RIP

Yes, unfamiliarity with LHD, terrain, tiredness n even weather conditions can be a cause n that’s why it may be better to avoid driving if u are not confident n also prone to sleepiness which I am both guilty of so I don’t dare take this risk but I guess there will always be drivers who enjoy the long drives which we are not able to do so here locally.

Stay safe all n take care!!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6