Singaporeans killed in Arizona highway accident

Jman888

In Europe, the city roads and parking lots are very narrow. There's a reason most Europeans drive small cars. Similarly in Japan, they make narrow mini vans for a reason. But a lot of Singaporeans like to drive big car when overseas. 

This is useful info for me.

Twice in Aust, we rented Hyundai iMax, which is quite big. But bo bian cos we needed the space. I think any other smaller MPVs, we would not have enough luggage space...

next time if drive elsewhere, better take note of this...

↡ Advertisement

Even in SG I can have that sleepy feeling and struggling to keep my eyes open.

After that either I don't drive to work if I had a late night, or leave office early to avoid a long boring peak traffic

I learnt my lesson long long ago.

When i first started driving, it was a company car (luckily). At end of the day on way home, i dozed off momentarily (must admit not for the first time), and regained my alertness too late that once. Stepped on the brake, but didn't manage to stop in time and kissed a cab in front. It was just a little bit, but you can guess what happened as it was a cab.

Good thing it was a company car, so i didn't have to worry about claims and settlements.

I count myself fortunate as it was a lesson learnt that wasn't costly. Damage was very slight, it was company car, and importantly, i learnt an important lesson, and would ensure that i find ways not to fall asleep on the wheels again...

Yah, now smarter already.

First time, we took the car from airport, and it was day time when we reached, and distance to destination was not that far.

Second time was tough... Now we know never to repeat that pattern again. [sweatdrop]

Think on the bright side. At least it was only 30+ km and not longer...

but yes, add in the LHD and night time, then it's really tough.

I better remember this in case Fatty Kim turns peaceful and we should go to Korea in future [laugh]

for me it is not only about distance driving, staying for a night or two in the city is for the family to get into the mood. We hate rushing cos when you go straight into driving, a lot of frustration may set in.

We rather enjoy the slow pace to eat, shop and walk around to feel the difference in that country before going to another town/city.

• Praise 2

for me it is not only about distance driving, staying for a night or two in the city is for the family to get into the mood. We hate rushing cos when you go straight into driving, a lot of frustration may set in.

We rather enjoy the slow pace to eat, shop and walk around to feel the difference in that country before going to another town/city.

i see... you need to 培养情绪。。。 [laugh]

We kid ourselves we are good drivers.

Looking at the accidents abroad or even how PHV drivers drive here.

This is the standard of our driving.

• Praise 1

Last year on a trip to Perth, i was in for a surprise:

Took morning (direct) flight, reached Perth at local time about 3 pm, after about 5-6 hr flight. Went to pick up rental car, and was ready to drive off around 5+pm. Took a while as we went to buy SIM card after arrival, then waited for the rental pick-up (as the company was not at the airport -- we booked too late and airport ones do not have what we needed anymore...).

The rental people looked a little surprised when my wife - who planned the trip - told then we where we were heading to when they asked.

Then i found out why.

Our destination - after about two-third of the day gone - was near Bunbury, about 180 km away. It was evening peak hours and nightfall was approaching. My elderly parents were with us on the trips, so it was necessary to arrange for toilet breaks, dinner, etc.

And of course, it was first time there. The kids and my folks all fell asleep at some points of the ride. Only wife stayed awake to help with navigation.

I think the only reason why i (we) made it was the adrenaline rush on the first leg of the trip, plus constantly reminding myself that i have a total of 6 lives on my hands at that time...

We finally reached our destination at around 8.45 pm, taking about 3 hr. I admit that I had sped in darkness on some stretches, but it was a calculated risk as i was worried that my folks would have needed more stops if i didn't...

Definitely not recommended.

Whoaaa....definitely NOT recommended

After all the hassles u mentioned before even getting on your way, juz going to Northbridge for dinner oredi i tink tired liao....

On company training in the US i knew a local guy who drove 100miles to work each way, and he enjoyed it.

Thats about 320km per day.

Wonder what is long drive to him.

His MIL lives with him?

• Praise 1

On company training in the US i knew a local guy who drove 100miles to work each way, and he enjoyed it.

Thats about 320km per day.

Wonder what is long drive to him.

My friend lives in France and she drives like 100 miles to work in Switzerland and back everyday.

Not sure if this helps but I keep a bottle of caffeine tablets in my car for those long highway drives but so far I have only used it once.

RIP.

myself, I really don't dare to drive in another country ... even Malaysia !!

my relative also had a bad accident many years(+15) ago when she went on a Australian trip with her fiancé.

car fell into a ravine and she was paralyzed and the guy left her ! insurance paid about 4mil ... but no use also ... heard that her parents sold their landed property a few years back due cash strapped.

• Praise 2

my relative also had a bad accident many years(+15) ago when she went on a Australian trip with her fiancé.

car fell into a ravine and she was paralyzed and the guy left her ! insurance paid about 4mil ... but no use also ... heard that her parents sold their landed property a few years back due cash strapped.

I remember watching about this incident on a documentary just a a few months back. 

My friend lives in France and she drives like 100 miles to work in Switzerland and back everyday.

Not sure if this helps but I keep a bottle of caffeine tablets in my car for those long highway drives but so far I have only used it once.

RIP.

The perfect excuse to leave their workplace early Edited by Sotong1977

Sometimes there are incidents that will seriously impact our confidence. I had 4 accidents before in my almost 30 yr of driving. First one was my fault (falling asleep); 2nd one was in front got a long vehicle (front only, no container) skidded out onto my lane in front, and my car skidded forward as i jammed brake (no ABS); the other 2 were people knocked me from behind after i've stopped. After the first two, it took maybe a few days to a week before i could regain my composure on the road.

A number of my relatives went to Aust/NZ many yr ago to attend my cousin's graduation and another relative's wedding. They rented cars there too. When they came back, they purposely didn't want to talk about the drive. I'm sure there must have been some incident and near miss or something.

Need to be really careful when driving, more more more so when driving abroad.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Many locals are not used to long drives, and think too highly of their abilities; and when they rent a car overseas just want to chiong and be a hero.

Sometimes there are incidents that will seriously impact our confidence. I had 4 accidents before in my almost 30 yr of driving. First one was my fault (falling asleep); 2nd one was in front got a long vehicle (front only, no container) skidded out onto my lane in front, and my car skidded forward as i jammed brake (no ABS); the other 2 were people knocked me from behind after i've stopped. After the first two, it took maybe a few days to a week before i could regain my composure on the road.

A number of my relatives went to Aust/NZ many yr ago to attend my cousin's graduation and another relative's wedding. They rented cars there too. When they came back, they purposely didn't want to talk about the drive. I'm sure there must have been some incident and near miss or something.

Need to be really careful when driving, more more more so when driving abroad.

wow 30 years ... I only 17 years ... didn't dare to learn driving until I got my forklift license.

my accident record :

1. youngster drove cabstar and jabbed my rear at a turning ... I think he no license so went to his coy's workshop.

2. guy jabbed my rear at red light stop ! I think he skidded.

3. guy reversed out of parking and hit my door.

4. old man chiong red light and whacked the side of my car ... accused me of running red light instead. 50/50.

all no injury ... but #4 was a rather strong hit ... and taught me to ensure that all cars stopped before moving off.

we can drive in china ... but looking at the traffic situation there, I even fear walking across their roads !!

When Singaporeans paid so much for driving lessons, paid so much for their cars, it's no wonder we think we are the BESTEST driver. Unfortunately, I (being a Singaporean too) thinks we are a frog in a well.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1