Singaporeans killed in Arizona highway accident

Jman888

When Singaporeans paid so much for driving lessons, paid so much for their cars, it's no wonder we think we are the BESTEST driver. Unfortunately, I (being a Singaporean too) thinks we are a frog in a well.

What a leap. From a road accident to complaining about cost of driving lessons and car.

[hur]

↡ Advertisement

Yet another case. 

Two Sinagapreans met with car accident during self drive holiday at South Africa. One dead, the other injured. The car cross the divider and crashed. The deceased driver just got her license a year ago

http://www.zaobao.com.sg/znews/singapore/story20171228-822426?xtor=CS2-8

http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/singapore-dies-south-africa-accident-another-injured

Edited by Stooky
  • Praise 4

myself, I really don't dare to drive in another country ... even Malaysia !!

my relative also had a bad accident many years(+15) ago when she went on a Australian trip with her fiancé.

car fell into a ravine and she was paralyzed and the guy left her ! insurance paid about 4mil ... but no use also ... heard that her parents sold their landed property a few years back due cash strapped.

The guy so bad just left her in the ravine.

Some hikers found her?

RIP

I have driven this route before. The journey from Las Vegas to GC is about 5 hours. I left my hotel 630 in the morning. Reach GC around 12 noon and I have only 4 and a half hours of daylight left. I left GC in a rush due to unfamiliar driving in the dark. Manage to reach LV at 930pm with all my energy drained. On My second trip, I stay one night at the national park and I believe I can manage better. The speed limit on this hwy is 65 - 75 mph. My advice for fellow drivers is donât rush and squeeze all the itinerary too near. Relax and have sufficient rest in between.

Yes. The drive back in dark is damn siong. I will never do LV-GC-LV day trip again. Too rush and it was really no fun driving 10 hours on the same day, whatever the historic route 66 has to offer.
  • Praise 2

My they RIP. In USA, LA going to Grand Canyon traveling by the freeways must go according to their speed. If too slow, the big truck will bang your backside and the police will stop you to ask whether you are tire and order you to get out of the freeway. If you are going too fast and sway you may get a ticket or encounter mishaps. Most Singkee are not familiar with left hand drive.

Edited by AltisOwner
  • Praise 4

Yet another case.

Two Sinagapreans met with car accident during self drive holiday at South Africa. One dead, the other injured. The car cross the divider and crashed. The deceased driver just got her license a year ago

http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/singapore-dies-south-africa-accident-another-injured

South Africa is RHD, so those who attributed the US highway tragedy to LHD don't know what they are talking about.

It is just fatigue and the boredom of traveling long distance mostly in a straight line that SGeans are not used to. It takes a lot of will power to do it, especially after lunch and dinner.

• Praise 5

last time when I was in Uni, i went to New Zealand for few months.

one crazy thing we did was just the weekend prior to starting classes.

did a roadtrip to watch Rally NZ (WRC) with two friends. I was the only driver.

Fri: morning collect rental car, drive fm Wellington to Auckland (900+km)

stay overnight in Auckland

Sat: watch WRC, have to drive around a lot to follow the SS.

Sat night, drive back fm Auckland to Wellington

Sun: return rental car at breakfast time. Rest n Recover

Mon: start classes

I really suffered on the return leg. Was struggling to stay awake at sunrise/dawn time. My two passengers basically slpt most of the time

Really heng no accident.

I will never plan such schedule again

edit: btw those were the pre-GPS days. We used paper maps to navigate

Edited by JohnSHL
  • Praise 7

Drove Melb-> Syd recently, especially on the return leg where it was motorway all the way.. used the lane assist + adaptive cruise control, was a breeze to drive.. only stopped twice..

We kid ourselves we are good drivers.

Looking at the accidents abroad or even how PHV drivers drive here.

This is the standard of our driving.

ð

At least they have now the blue diamond shaped decal - saying or shouting ‘ stay away ‘ from us
  • Praise 3

1. New driver

2. Lady

I think enough said. Overconfidence killed her for sure.

Yet another case. 

Couldn't possibly work with Singaporeans in Singapore.

No la, for long distance road trips overseas, not in SG.. not even necessary..

But Traffic Jam Assist should be useful for SG context..

Yet another case. 

Sigh... another tragedy...

RIP.

Reminder to all to be really careful as far as driving is concerned. 

New drivers should chalk up more experience locally first, and venture to overseas only when having become a seasoned driver.

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

South Africa is RHD, so those who attributed the US highway tragedy to LHD don't know what they are talking about.

It is just fatigue and the boredom of traveling long distance mostly in a straight line that SGeans are not used to. It takes a lot of will power to do it, especially after lunch and dinner.

perhaps also inexperience. report stated that she got her license only 1 year ago.

• Praise 1

Actually driving LHD you can get used to after a while.

But driving overseas is a completely different proposition from driving in Singapore, and that is the tricky part. The distances are longer, the speeds are higher, the culture is different. This one requires more time to adapt and requires more concentration from the driver. And you cannot bring your own Singaporean driving habits there (tailgating, road hogging, change lane without signal etc), because otherwise you will get into trouble.

• Praise 3

Actually driving LHD you can get used to after a while.

But driving overseas is a completely different proposition from driving in Singapore, and that is the tricky part. The distances are longer, the speeds are higher, the culture is different. This one requires more time to adapt and requires more concentration from the driver. And you cannot bring your own Singaporean driving habits there (tailgating, road hogging, change lane without signal etc), because otherwise you will get into trouble.

It takes me up to 1 day to "climatize" myself. It is especially dangerous when i am in an area with few cars and lots of turns with no traffic to follow. The trick is to drive slowly on day 1 to avoid instinct driving kicking in.

Speed kills.

Edited by Voodooman
↡ Advertisement