Getting City Gas Into Landed Property

therock

Bros,

I notice that there's usually no PUB aka City Gas which is piped into landed?

That means that heaters, and some dryers etc can only be electric.

I am used to gas for cooking, for heaters and I wonder if anyone has added City Gas to their homes?

I did email them, and they quoted a few thousand just to get a connection:

Please be advised there is a minimum connection fee of $4,700/- (excluding GST) regardless of whether there is a gas main along the road outside the property.

Should there be no gas mains available along the road outside the property, the laying cost for gas mains will be determined and quoted by Power Gas based on their proposed incoming route.

Upon receiving customers’ confirmation on their interests, City Gas will refer the request to Power Gas and they would need approximately 14 days to revert on the availability of gas mains and actual cost of supplying gas to the premise.

On top of this, customers would need to engage a Licensed Gas Service Worker (LGSW) to design and submit the gas plan to City Gas for approval before the installation work.

The list of LGSWs available can be found via the following link:

https://elise.ema.gov.sg/elise/findworkerservlet?Operation=GetOffer&Item=GS&selectedType=OFFERG

Is it worth the hassle? 

Thanks bros

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Bros,

I notice that there's usually no PUB aka City Gas which is piped into landed?

That means that heaters, and some dryers etc can only be electric.

I am used to gas for cooking, for heaters and I wonder if anyone has added City Gas to their homes?

I did email them, and they quoted a few thousand just to get a connection:

Is it worth the hassle? 

Thanks bros

Congrats on your upgrade  [laugh]

For dryer, I reckon you won't be able to tell the difference with one of the high efficiency heat pump models.

For heater, I'm afraid there is no easy answer. Instant heaters mostly have very lousy throughput and storage heaters usually take some time to heat up  [smallcry]

Cooking is easy too - just call for someone to deliver the gas canister to you lor.

Thanks, but I haven't bought anything... I used to live in my dad's landed, and for years we never had City Gas, which leads me to wonder why..

Thanks, but I haven't bought anything... I used to live in my dad's landed, and for years we never had City Gas, which leads me to wonder why..

You should tell them you are interested and ask them to quote for the remaining just for kicks.

Should there be no gas mains available along the road outside the property, the laying cost for gas mains will be determined and quoted by Power Gas based on their proposed incoming route.

Upon receiving customers’ confirmation on their interests, City Gas will refer the request to Power Gas and they would need approximately 14 days to revert on the availability of gas mains and actual cost of supplying gas to the premise.

Congrats on your upgrade  [laugh]

For heater, I'm afraid there is no easy answer. Instant heaters mostly have very lousy throughput and storage heaters usually take some time to heat up  [smallcry]

throughput = ??

if water pressure, get an instant heater with electric pump ... I have that for my HDB flat ... works ok.

The piping work is expensive. Get 2 canisters for cooking, deposit is like 20 or so.

$35 a tank of gas ... and then every 5 years pay another $90 to replace the regulator valve.

Edited by Ysc3

$4700. can pay for many cans of gas! also if you enjoy chinese cooking. LPG gas has more heat capacity that City Gas. makes for a stronger flame and thus "wok hei" when you do stir frying.

anyway forget about heat pump dryer. more hassle and any savings. been there done that. besides in a landed just air dry la. no shortage or space to hang clothes, why bother with a dryer?

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 3

using canisters would be more economical although a bit of hassle. for water heater can use electric.

Can always link cannister to gas water heater.

Juz like commercial use for cooking.

throughput = ??

if water pressure, get an instant heater with electric pump ... I have that for my HDB flat ... works ok.

$35 a tank of gas ... and then every 5 years pay another $90 to replace the regulator valve.

Any idea if there is addition charges for 3 storey walk up for canister?

Any idea if there is addition charges for 3 storey walk up for canister?

Don’t think so but a packet of drink or two would lessen the complain.

• Praise 8

If we use cylinders to power heaters and for cooking, I wonder how long do they last? Get those huge tall ones that we find in coffee shops perhaps?

I would rather go for solar panel installation. Although it will cost more to install the energy is free and it's a lot safer. How often do you cook and for how many individuals? You can use it for your water heater, induction cooking stove and even lightings. Got excess power can even sell to electric company.

If we use cylinders to power heaters and for cooking, I wonder how long do they last? Get those huge tall ones that we find in coffee shops perhaps?

Don't worry, the small ones last a month or more depending on usage.

Replacement is easy too so I wouldn't get a big one.

That may be true, but how does one increase the water pressure? Electric heaters tend to give a slower flow..

That's what I mentioned earlier and some bro said that this can be solved if you buy a heater with a built-in pump.

Gotta try to know if the pressure is what you want.

I would rather go for solar panel installation. Although it will cost more to install the energy is free and it's a lot safer. How often do you cook and for how many individuals? You can use it for your water heater, induction cooking stove and even lightings. Got excess power can even sell to electric company.

I don't think Singapore has any electricity buyback scheme yet though.

And you compare solar power being safer than gas become it should instead be compared to electrical power.

I don't think Singapore has any electricity buyback scheme yet though.

And you compare solar power being safer than gas become it should instead be compared to electrical power.

Already have it.

I'm talking about both solar and electric power, they are indeed safer dan using those LPG gas tanks.

↡ Advertisement