Dentist son needs to pay compensation to mother

Lala81

Dentist son needs to pay back mother for school and upbringing fees.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/taiwan-court-orders-dentist-to-pay-mother-for-raising-him-9828752#cxrecs_s

What a highly dysfunctional family. The mother can't trust her own parenting skill for her children to have some modicum of fillial piety and support her in old age. Need to have them sign contract when they are so young.

This woman sounds highly toxic.

she may have gotten her compensation. But she'll spend the last years of her life alone. worth it meh  :mellow:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/taiwan-court-orders-dentist-to-pay-mother-for-raising-him-9828752#cxrecs_s

What a highly dysfunctional family. The mother can't trust her own parenting skill for her children to have some modicum of fillial piety and support her in old age. Need to have them sign contract when they are so young.

she may have gotten her compensation. But she'll spend the last years of her life alone. worth it meh  :mellow:

You think if she didn't ask for the money, she would be spending the last years in their company?  [laugh]

Actually, is there really a legal basis for this contract? I thought a contract always had to have some quid pro quo?

Edited by Kusje

she may have gotten her compensation. But she'll spend the last years of her life alone. worth it meh :mellow:

boss

sometimes very hard to comment on family matters

since the son signed it and wasn't force

let the spirit of the contract take effects then

dentist earn quite alot so...chicken feet to him

• Praise 5

You think if she didn't ask for the money, she would be spending the last years in their company?  [laugh]

Actually, is there really a legal basis for this contract? I thought a contract always had to have some quid pro quo?

i dunno.

But when the child is still an adolescent, instead of teaching them about filial piety, u make them sign contract  [hur]

(edited)

boss

sometimes very hard to comment on family matters

since the son signed it and wasn't force

let the spirit of the contract take effects then

dentist earn quite alot so...chicken feet to him

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Heng, in Singapore, no need expensive lawyer to sign contract. We made it a law here to enforce filial piety.

• Praise 2

eh this article don't show all the details. It's not so simple.

From what i read from another article, the mother operates a dental clinic and her sons used to work for her.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42542260

this woman not so simple.

Read the bbc article and what the son said. The son worked for her clinic for years.

so she pimping the sons

eh this article don't show all the details. It's not so simple.

From what i read from another article, the mother operates a dental clinic and her sons used to work for her.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42542260

this woman not so simple.

Read the bbc article and what the son said. The son worked for her clinic for years.

Well, she got her return on her investment.  Then again, its not exactly uncommon here.  Just the question of what is the price.

I've heard of a family who told their daughter in law and son to give birth to 3 kids and the "contract" was:

First kid, get 2 cars of their choice.

Second kid, wife gets x amount of money monthly.

Third kid, detached house gets handed over to them legally plus 2 maids to take care of the house and kids. 

If no third kid, by the time they turn age 40, they get evicted. 

[lipsrsealed]

Well, she got her return on her investment.  Then again, its not exactly uncommon here.  Just the question of what is the price.

I've heard of a family who told their daughter in law and son to give birth to 3 kids and the "contract" was:

Third kid, detached house gets handed over to them legally plus 2 maids to take care of the house and kids. 

[lipsrsealed]

with family like this, who needs enemies  [shocked]

• Praise 3

[lipsrsealed]

waa so far i have only heard of situations where the couple who does not want kids, reaches a "deal" with the parents to have kids on condition that the parents help to take care of the grandkids... 

she may have gotten her compensation. But she'll spend the last years of her life alone. worth it meh :mellow:

Btw, based on monetary, how much should it cost typically for 20 years of up bringing alone? Ty Edited by Lotr8445r

saw this para from the article. wonder if any country in the world has such a law? 

Cases of abuse and abandonment of senior citizens have been on the rise in Taiwan in recent years, prompting calls for a law to jail adults who fail to look after their elderly parents although it is yet to pass.

she probably feel insecure after divorcing with the husband, and happen both child were boy, 男人都是靠不住的!  [laugh]  [laugh]   

saw this para from the article. wonder if any country in the world has such a law? 

china have, singapore also have.

• Praise 2

she probably feel insecure after divorcing with the husband, and happen both child were boy, 男人都是靠不住的!  [laugh]  [laugh]   

china have, singapore also have.

thanks  [thumbsup]

waa so far i have only heard of situations where the couple who does not want kids, reaches a "deal" with the parents to have kids on condition that the parents help to take care of the grandkids... 

But this one is soooooooo widespread and common here in SG. It's almost an unwritten rule for many people.

My mother helped to take care of both my kids after they were born. I didn't have to open contract talks or negotiate with my mother. That time just asked, and she agreed right away...

For that i - and my wife - have been very grateful.

I have M'sian colleagues who do not have parents/in-laws here. Without extended family support, looking after their young kids was a big challenge. In fact, they left the kids with the parents in JB on weekdays, and go in to see the kids only on weekends. Brought them out only when they needed to go childcare.

• Praise 2

Thought dentistry is one of the better proffession so shouldnt she be better off at old age. Its sad when i read this kind of story. I raised my children because i love them with no strings attached......i even feels paisey when my son comes back and buy for us things and meals.

↡ Advertisement