Insurance Coy wants to increase premium after renewal done?

dnumde

Hi gurus.

Long story short.

Early Dec: Offered renewal quote by insurance

Mid Dec : Branch hit front windscreen. Windscreen replaced with no excess because I purchase the plan with "no windscreen excess."

End Dec: Renewed Insurance. Cover note issued. Road Tax renew.

3 Jan: CSO called and tell me they will invalidate my motor insurance as my premium have now increase due to the windscreen replacement.

No mention of increase in premium until 3 Jan.

So now I have 2 qns.

1) Can they invalidate my insurance at this point?!

I have written in to LTA and GIA to seek further clarification.

2) Wouldn't it make consumers a fool since we are then paying twice for windscreen?

I pay more to get a plan with "no windscreen excess".

Now that I replace my windscreen

I have to pay a higher premium because my wind screen was replace.

Then isnt I paying twice?

Then why don't we all just buy the cheapest policy since ultimately we are still the suckers???

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Hi gurus.

Long story short.

Mid Dec : Branch hit front windscreen. Windscreen replaced with no excess because I purchase the plan with "no windscreen excess."

3 Jan: CSO called and tell me they will invalidate my motor insurance as my premium have now increase due to the windscreen replacement.

So now I have 2 qns.

2) Wouldn't it make consumers a fool since we are then paying twice for windscreen?

Then why don't we all just buy the cheapest policy since ultimately we are still the suckers???

No they can’t increase. Because premium collected and policy issue mean a contract establish! BTW you go to the wrong government agency! Please complain to MAS

If government agency is slow in responding, please cancel your insurance with them and go to another insurance company to get yourself protection, yet the same time invite newpapaer or Wan Pao reporter for so interview. Let this insurance company management know what is called not honouring one words and penny wise pound foolish

• Praise 4

No windscreen excess means you don;t have to pay any excess when you replace your windscreen.

But you are deemed to have made a claim, so premium increases.

Similar to those insurance purchased in-house when you buy a new car - one-for-one exchange for new car if your car is totaled - but your excess will be sky high thereafter.

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 1

Hi gurus.

Long story short.

So now I have 2 qns.

did u call NEA / Nparks to make a claim.?

If you did, route the claim to NEA/Nparks and then the insurance will "sort of" reverse the premium loading.

You have to give them a day to decide if its town council.

I believe insurance companies price their products based on risk and probability trending.

The initial price for renewal they quoted you should be based on good track record of no claims; however within that short window of renewal, there was a claim filed, which changed your user profile. I think you can check if they included fineprints for their quote, to indicate that quote is valid subjected to some pre-requisites (unless they missed that out, which I doubt).

Able to share the actual repair cost vs increase in premium quoted for sharing with the rest of the folks?

Car insurance in singapore is NOT insurance.

It is merely an installment plan for claims you had made.

Internalise this and everything will make sense.

• Praise 2

Supercharged

When you renew insurance early, you have to pray that in the remainder of the x months left on the current insurance you do not hit any accidents or claims - otherwise insurance companies have the right to review and update the pricing on the "renewal".

Basically the assumption when they offer you the insurance renewal is that the existing 12mth period has no more "un-declared"/unknown insurance claims. Otherwise everything can be subject to change.

And the idea of "no excess" for windscreen..... you must remember the money must come from somewhere. No excess simply means no need to pay any $$ cash upfront when you shiok shiok replace, does not mean they cannot charge you more next year. 

Just suck thumb and pay up... nothing you can do now.

I think their business model is more similar to bookies  [laugh]

Car insurance in singapore is NOT insurance.

It is merely an installment plan for claims you had made.

Internalise this and everything will make sense.

• Praise 1

i think most insurance will cover 'no excess' for windscreen but like some mentioned, it doesn't mean your premium won't be affected upon renewal, Similar to NCD protection, any claim confirm will increase the premium.

Edited by Jman888

If you did, route the claim to NEA/Nparks and then the insurance will "sort of" reverse the premium loading.

NEA?? Nparks?? What has these 2 agencies got to do with vehicle insurance??

shouldn't the insurance company be the one to claim back what was paid out from Nparks?

If we are claiming directly for every case, what's the pint of paying insurance? (I know in SG no choice, no insurance cannot drive, but u get my point I hope)

NEA?? Nparks?? What has these 2 agencies got to do with vehicle insurance??

windscreen cracked cause of falling branch, refer to TS post bro. 

windscreen cracked cause of falling branch, refer to TS post bro. 

But NEA or Nparks will say act of god... then how?? Difficult to claim against them unless we can prove that the tree was not maintained routinely and was in poor health which caused the branch to drop. Otherwise its pointless.

↡ Advertisement