2016 2nd Generation Honda Freed

Blooper77

Thanks for the info.

Is the package from these PIs similar, or is it a "ask and it shall be given" thing? I'm not in a rush as I'm intending to trade in my 4 year old car Mazda 5 with a high COE, so i'll also need to consider the trade in value from these PIs as well...

I left out the HU unit, in car camera, reverse sensor, number plate, etc as well.

Most is auto will tell you what gifts will give but no harm to try to push for more :)

↡ Advertisement

Thanks for the info.

Is the package from these PIs similar, or is it a "ask and it shall be given" thing? I'm not in a rush as I'm intending to trade in my 4 year old car Mazda 5 with a high COE, so i'll also need to consider the trade in value from these PIs as well...

mind sharing why you plan to trade in your 4yo M5?

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

mind sharing why you plan to trade in your 4yo M5?

My M5 has a high COE of >$70k when I had traded in my dad's Ford Mondeo. Come 5 years, it will start depreciating by about $9k per annum. I thought I could get a new car that depreciates at the same amount at the current COE pricing, coupled with free servicing over the next 3-5 years.

If I use the 10 year period as a guide, it seems that the COE prices are lowest during this period. I had just scrapped my 2008/9 hyundai with COE at $5k. The COE went to it's lowest point within that 6 month period to $4k. So it does seem like a good time to get a car if it's one that you will keep for the 10 year period, given the higher quotas and registrations/deregistrations.

But then again, the govt could just change policies and change everything... so it's still a gamble.

http://coe.sgcharts.com/

Neutral Newbie

Hi. Would like to know if there is anyone who has experience installing two child car seats at the 2nd row of Honda Freed?

I currently have an Elantra and the width is wide enough to have two car seats (left and center) and also sits an additional adult at the back (right).

Elantra has a exterior width of 180cm while Freed's 169cm.

I'm thinking of changing to Freed but as the second row of freed needs to be folded down to allow passengers to board the third, i'm not sure can it be done with two child car seat installed.

Would appreciate input from someone who had tried doing this or someone who had similar experience. Thanks!

I had the same issues and brought my car seats to try on the actual car. I couldn't fold the car seat after installing 2 car seats (on the left and centre seats).
  • Praise 1

I had the same issues and brought my car seats to try on the actual car. I couldn't fold the car seat after installing 2 car seats (on the left and centre seats).

I dun think there is any car seat that can be folded after fitting with car seats ...

you can go for Noah 7 seater instead. Middle row fitted with car seats, can still move left and right as the seat belts are attached to the seats itself.

Furthermore you can access the middle portion to the rear.

With rear aircon, big boot space to fit your prams.. Noah is a better choice

1.8X Hybrid too

I’m from PI cheers

Any Freed owners ever tried going up Genting with 6 pax ? Can it still move ?

No issue for me. I did not even change to the low gear (using D mode)

If you really need to get a honda freed, my advice is not to get the hybrid model as i had found out from those repair workshops that the spare parts on the engine compartment cost much more than those without hybrid model anymore the hybrid battery cost approx. 3 to 4k a piece. Unless you intend to drive for 3 to 4 years and change a new car or else the repair cost and the hybrid battery will burn a hole in your pocket. Don't be fooled by the car salesman that buying hybrid model will save a lot of gas money. Once your hybrid car visit the workshop for repair, you will know that all those saving of gas money is not even enough to just replace those spare parts and repair cost.        

Hybrid model spare parts on the engine will cost more than the without hybrid model (already checked with a few workshops) and more over each hybrid battery cost approx. 3 to 4 k a piece. How much can you save on the gas for hybrid model and how much more you have to spend on those parts and repair cost compare to those without hybrid. Hmm...………….       

Hybrid model spare parts on the engine will cost more than the without hybrid model (already checked with a few workshops) 

Sounds like you did your homework.  Can't share any specifics?

Edited by Browser

May I know what spare parts did they ask you to replace? How $$$?

Actually i am looking to buy a small MPV since now the COE is around 25k to 27K (either Freed or Sienta) and as you know both models do have Hybrid and w/o Hybrid so I decided check around on both type on the price and also checked with a handful of workshops on the maintenance & repair cost between both with Hybrid and without. I was informed that there are many different in parts on the Hybrid and without Hybrid model (e.g. the aircon running system are different, the without Hybrid model run by V-belt like normal car and the Hybrid model are electric gear driven as most of Hybrid cars are electric driven) the parts itself for the aircon gear system is already costing much more than the V-belt type and those workshops was saying it is more work to dismantle & assemble parts on those Hybrid models which means the labour cost will be higher. Maybe you can go check around with some of the workshops for more information.           

Thanks. I've not done any maintenance or repairs so can't give actual facts.

My previous research (have already bought the freed hybrid car) suggested that servicing and maintenance should be similar since it is a regular car plus additional electric/hybrid components that are generally maintenance free (until they break down and need to be replaced of course). I have no idea on cost of spare parts, and what you say that the parts are different and cost more sounds true, but how much more?

Hybridization and electrification generally lead to less work for workshops, and I've r the next decade or two I think workshops will lose their bread and butter. I think it's useful to keep this workshop bias in mind.

On the aircon, my understanding is that earlier Honda mild hybrid used the serpentine belt to power the air conditioning, so when engine stopped st traffic light/in jam, the air conditioning went off. Current Honda hybrid are powered by the Li battery, I *think*, so they can continue to blow cold air when the engine is off (but if the hybrid battery is dead, no aircon)... Not sure why there is a need to have another aircon belt system since I guess it should be just electricity cables from the battery? (But I have no real knowledge

Thanks. I've not done any maintenance or repairs so can't give actual facts.

My previous research (have already bought the freed hybrid car) suggested that servicing and maintenance should be similar since it is a regular car plus additional electric/hybrid components that are generally maintenance free (until they break down and need to be replaced of course). I have no idea on cost of spare parts, and what you say that the parts are different and cost more sounds true, but how much more?

Hybridization and electrification generally lead to less work for workshops, and I've r the next decade or two I think workshops will lose their bread and butter. I think it's useful to keep this workshop bias in mind.

On the aircon, my understanding is that earlier Honda mild hybrid used the serpentine belt to power the air conditioning, so when engine stopped st traffic light/in jam, the air conditioning went off. Current Honda hybrid are powered by the Li battery, I *think*, so they can continue to blow cold air when the engine is off (but if the hybrid battery is dead, no aircon)... Not sure why there is a need to have another aircon belt system since I guess it should be just electricity cables from the battery? (But I have no real knowledge

Well like i said, I intend to get a new small MPV and all these information I got are from those repair workshops and I don't have any idea on how much more will the parts cost between both models. Anyway, one of my friend who owned a 7 half yrs old hybrid Estima and I was told that he had replaced the Hybrid battery at 9K recently (maybe due the bigger car) and during those couple of years he had spend a few thousand of dollars on repair and replace parts. Anyway, good luck to you on your Hybrid Freed in years to come.

Replace battery need to pay? I thought Toyota is famous for 10y hybrid battery warranty.

Car repairs and etc are part ans parcel of owning a vehicle. If you are concerned about repair cost, i will suggest taking the train. Previously i own a petrol car as well, the repairs are not exactly cheap either.

U can always choose not to repair the battery if cost is a concern. The car will still move with or without the hybrid batt

Edited by Anderss

Replace battery need to pay? Toyota is famous for 10y hybrid battery warranty.

Car repairs and etc are part ans parcel of owning a vehicle. If you are concerned about repair cost, i will suggest taking the train. Previously i own a petrol car as well, the repairs are not exactly cheap either.

Wow ! Toyota company must be a charity company. Sorry, I didn't know that after a brand new Toyota car warranty expire after the warranty period by the PI (car is about 5 years old and above and the Pi already closed down) the hybrid battery is still under warranty. Hmm... at least now I know, Thanks. Anyway, if you are those that can afford to throw that extra $ by all means buy what u wants (2.0L Hybrid or bigger) but people like us the normal working class are really concerned about repair cost and if possible I don't mind taking the train or bus as what you suggested (can save me a lot of $) but I need a transport on my daily work use as required by my employer as they don't provide transport for my job but they pay the car allowances for your car every month.

You were saying previously u own a petrol car and the repair are not exactly cheap either. Well, that depends whether you had been cut throat by the repair shop or you are brought a used car (which many parts need to change and repair after been used by those previous owners for those years)              

↡ Advertisement