Reasonable Priced Used Cars Spotted 2018

Freeder

The COE was renewed at $46K, so if the buyer intends to scrap anytime, he gets back  a high paper value.

Advantage of such cars is that with 8+ more years to go, you can do a top engine overhaul and replace all wear and tear parts and drive with peace of mind for the next 8 years +. If condition is no good, doubt COE would be renewed for 10 yrs.

The Teana has just a year more to drive – in a nowhere here nor there situation – good if it does not break down and if it does - not cost effective to replace parts.

A Toyota is indestructible – so much more  this RAV4 is made in Japan, not Thailand.

150% road tax for the RAV4 is about $2500 which is about 40% of the depreciation. I suppose some will still find value in doing this.

↡ Advertisement

Agree with you totally.

I only bring my 2 kids on short trips to the neighbourhood mall on feeder bus for dinner and walkaround.

Long trips on public transport? No way.

How come you dont drive to neighbourhood mall? I know some people even go to mall across their house, they also choose to drive. Lol.

Because it's not worth driving to neighbourhood mall.

1. Need to Q for parking (waste time)

2. Parking charges more expensive than 2x adult fares x2 trips

3. My kids have more things to see when on the bus

How come you dont drive to neighbourhood mall? I know some people even go to mall across their house, they also choose to drive. Lol.

I am one of them, i choose to drive because i going NTUC/Sheng siong buy alot groceries and lazy to walk 2kkm with all the bags. and if i decided to buy a 55" TV there i still can lup inside my car. 

Try -

1)      Uber or Grab during peak hours – it’s cheaper to own a car and drive yourself.  [crazy]

2)      Taxi – non available even if you have the money to pay  [grin]

3)      MRT – you’d end up late or stuck in the train  :blink:

4)      Bus – Try to board one  and you can strike 1st prize in 4D  :a-panic:

All depends on individual la, some people might think even take uber/grab and taxi during peak hours, in long run still cheaper than buying a car. But some people think differently. As for bus, many people find bus has improved a lot when LTA takes over, if you complain you cant get onto one or find frequency is long, people would say you complain and whine too much liao?!  [grin]

finally some helpful comments here. thanks to the last few posters here, appreciated!

in the market for SUV to house growing brood and parents, roomy 5 seater or 7 seater will work ideally. new cars not many options...the likes of CX-9, X-trail, CRV, XC90 are very pricey too, so seeing used car market see if got reasonable deals. may go for non-COEd cars too. but the significatly lower depreciation costs for COEd cars...is it too good to be true? rav4 at 6.6k, thats easily 5k cheaper i figured....the prado isn't cheap for 10yr old car, but guess i have a soft spot since i always wanted to drive one. 

my friends tell me even mileage in cars can be "tweaked"...is that true? how to mitigate against that if i bring the car to my own mechanic for inspection?

Im not buying la, just wonder anyone here think it is a good idea to get recon coe cars.

Their coe lancer with 5 years cost $40 over thousand.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Actually what's wrong with people buying budget cars, if they can afford it?

Just like flying budget airlines, or buy budget smartphones, what's really wrong doing that?

Since Singapore is so small, is it really effective doing multiple transfers and jostling with the crowds, somemore carrying bulk just to go to a place of such short distances? The distance from East to West is hardly an hour drive.

What I meant is people who stretch their money just so they can get the cheapest car available cuz they already stretched to the max and they have no choice. Doesn't make sense to throw 10-15k a year into something they can do without.

Nothing wrong with buying budget cars. Mine is also a budget car with depreciation of less than $7k a year. Can't afford anything more expensive or else got to be stuck with a loan.

U again?

U really don't get it

Yup. Really don't get it. Probably cuz I'm lucky my situation means I can use public transport. I only have 3 kids and only need to bring my wheelchair bound grandmother to the hospital once a week. Guess if I have more kids or have to bring my grandmother to the hospital more often then I might understand?

• Praise 1

Twincharged

finally some helpful comments here. thanks to the last few posters here, appreciated!

in the market for SUV to house growing brood and parents, roomy 5 seater or 7 seater will work ideally. new cars not many options...the likes of CX-9, X-trail, CRV, XC90 are very pricey too, so seeing used car market see if got reasonable deals. may go for non-COEd cars too. but the significatly lower depreciation costs for COEd cars...is it too good to be true? rav4 at 6.6k, thats easily 5k cheaper i figured....the prado isn't cheap for 10yr old car, but guess i have a soft spot since i always wanted to drive one. 

my friends tell me even mileage in cars can be "tweaked"...is that true? how to mitigate against that if i bring the car to my own mechanic for inspection?

COE cars can be a good option also if you can find one that is in good condition mechanically. My car's depreciation is less than 7k a year. Parf rebate+COE+respray+interior reupholster and engine overhaul came up to just below 70k.

That time got one damn dealer quote 55k for Coe 5yrs RAV4.

That was end of 2015

Edited by Brass

Like a good deal. The road tax gonna be ex though

people going for Alphard will not mind the road tax and petrol consumption. more important is whether it can last another 10 years. 

people going for Alphard will not mind the road tax and petrol consumption. more important is whether it can last another 10 years. 

Cars are built to last beyond 10 years - so much more so if it's Japanese.

Only in uniquely Singapore where car owners change cars after a few years "because there's many wear and tear parts to change."

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1