COE direction for 2018

SGCMHello

just an example... next time u reach that age.. maybe they will come out with some special card for you.

ok ...maybe 

but meanwhile, you can enjoy paying more and more tax

thank you for contribution to nation building

:D

↡ Advertisement

Bro, here maybe got free food:

https://mustsharenews.com/support-meals-cardboard-collectors/

Also got special card:

really got such thing? cool

ok ...maybe 

but meanwhile, you can enjoy paying more and more tax

thank you for contribution to nation building

:D

no problem ... main thing is you happy i happy everyone happy ... 

make this a happy place to be.

actually singapore high cost meh?

those really not giving birth are mainly those white collar worker.

those blue one still giving birth

High costs of living, stressful working environment, national service, etc.

i dont think singapore high cost lor .. you still get 2sgd rice. you still get cheap education.

we dont have to drive dont have to go holiday.

stressful work environment? depend how u manage.

national service .. i think is good..

sinagporean like me too are more KS la.

Not really true. Actually many of my friends holding blue collar jobs are also not having children, and they are mostly poly, ITE or O levels.

Although it is believed that people who hold white collar jobs tends to have little or no children.

Those who have more than 2 children are usually friends who are really loaded, regardless of education levels.

Edited by DACH

agree. whatever tax increase is going to afffect us whether is direct tax or indirect tax,, we willultimately pay more. chinese sayng sheep hair grow sheep.

so to me the two options of tap reserve or increase tax are the same effect.

I don't encourage tapping the reserves.

Although increase tax is inevitable, we should be looking into reducing the current costs first.

Cutting ministers salaries a solution, probably. That doesn't mean have to drastically decrease the salaries of civil servants too, since the salaries increase for ministers was far too high compared to others.

• Praise 1

I don't encourage tapping the reserves.

Although increase tax is inevitable, we should be looking into reducing the current costs first.

Cutting ministers salaries a solution, probably. That doesn't mean have to drastically decrease the salaries of civil servants too, since the salaries increase for ministers was far too high compared to others.

yes.. that is what i mentioned earlier ... cut cost first..and i against tapping reserve if there is any hahah

• Praise 1

OT alert!

When we say tap the reserves, are we tapping the capital or just the interests/ earnings from the reserves?

Do we know how much is the reserves that stopped us from tapping more?

I think we need to have more information to have a meaningful discussion.

Instead of using quick fix solution that will only pose more problems in the future, Singapore should start preparing for the aging population. The problem was highlighted decades ago. What can be done is to use the finances and resources to prepare for this future. However not the case. The current generation of govt overspent on many aspects for the past decade, falls behind in bringing future technologies to continue supporting the economy with more elderly and smaller population. With more AI, advanced robotics, smart technologies coming in, what's the purpose of adding more people when the labor force is shrinking in future? Adding more people doesn't solve the aging population problems. It only adds more problems to the future generations with more aging population, incurring higher costs, and limiting less resources to more people at higher costs.

Your own house and own transport is basically your basic needs. Unfortunately the HDB flat is not yours to begin with, the closest thing you can own is a car which needs a COE to drive. Not necessity skewed logic is because of overpopulation issues.

Complaining about jams? Why? Our roads are poorly designed and too many road works. If the road length doesn’t increase in tandem with the growth, then it's time to build underground. No point keep harping on this issue.

Since previous administration is not doing anything, why do you think that current administration has the political will to fix it?

Honestly, HDB is no diff from leasehold property.  Why do we need to bring it up to attention?

Rather than spending $$$ to build more road underground, wouldn't it be more beneficial to built more MRT line?

For a large city like Beijing, government continues to build subway line rather than road.  In China, all sorts of PMD is legal incl. those 2 seater that looks like SMART car.

No matter how good design of the road is, jam still occurs when sheer number of cars or idiot driver will choke it up.

I am a diehard car fans.  I also abstain from increasing more roads on this island especially underground.  Knowing that taxpayer $$$ will be better spend in public transport (logically).

Since previous administration is not doing anything, why do you think that current administration has the political will to fix it?

Honestly, HDB is no diff from leasehold property. Why do we need to bring it up to attention?

Rather than spending $$$ to build more road underground, wouldn't it be more beneficial to built more MRT line?

For a large city like Beijing, government continues to build subway line rather than road. In China, all sorts of PMD is legal incl. those 2 seater that looks like SMART car.

No matter how good design of the road is, jam still occurs when sheer number of cars or idiot driver will choke it up.

I am a diehard car fans. I also abstain from increasing more roads on this island especially underground. Knowing that taxpayer $$$ will be better spend in public transport (logically).

The previous administration did their homework and started doing something but the current one is not continuing what the previous one is doing, but instead, overspending. This problem, shouldn't be burdened by the people.

Roads are more flexible, easier and more cost effective to build and maintain. So roads are actually more beneficial.

Good roads design can help to alleviate traffic jams. There's a need to look at the number of road works and intersections. Of course, drivers need to be educated on road etiquette,instead of just rules and regulations.

Like I have said, no point comparing big countries because driving from one place to another is long and tiring for such great distances. Thus subways are more feasible there due to long distances and more catchment areas.

If the overpopulation continues go unchecked, regardless of private transport or public transport, it's going to be unsustainable, because everywhere is overcrowding. And overpopulation problems don't just stop at transport and housing.

Edited by DACH

The previous administration did their homework and started doing something but the current one is not continuing what the previous one is doing, but instead, overspending.

Roads are more flexible, easier and more cost effective to build and maintain. So roads are actually more beneficial.

Good roads design can help to alleviate traffic jams. There's a need to look at the number of road works and intersections. Of course, drivers need to be educated on road etiquette,instead of just rules and regulations.

Like I have said, no point comparing big countries because driving from one place to another is long and tiring for such great distances. Thus subways are more feasible there due to long distances and more catchment areas.

If the overpopulation continues go unchecked, regardless of private transport or public transport, it's going to be unsustainable, because everywhere is overcrowding. And overpopulation problems don't just stop at transport and housing.

To build more roads, it means more land to be acquired.  It means that Singapore is going to lose more of its green lung.

To build underground road, it mean more $$$ required to built and maintain these road.  It does not make sense at all.

On the other hand, MRT can take higher passenger load as compare to cars.  Our problem with MRT is corporate culture of certain operator.

With more cars, it means that more car park required.

Currently, CBD seasons car park already 600/mth.  Are we looking at 1k/mth like HK?

For HDB car park, are we ready to pay 300/mth if number of cars continue to grow?

You wrong to say that subway is more feasible than driving because of great distance.  In Beijing peak hours, roads are choke.  Subways is also full of ppl.

How long does it take you to drive from Tuas to Changi during peak hour?

My Beijing colleague staying in the west takes 3.5hour to drive the same length as Tuas to Changi to work.

On the other hand, she save 1 hour by taking subway + shuttle bus.

After not coming back to Singapore for 1 year, i am surprised that food price in my estate remains the same.

My estate wanton noodle 6yrs ago was $2.5 now $3.30

To build more roads, it means more land to be acquired. It means that Singapore is going to lose more of its green lung.

To build underground road, it mean more $$$ required to built and maintain these road. It does not make sense at all.

On the other hand, MRT can take higher passenger load as compare to cars. Our problem with MRT is corporate culture of certain operator.

With more cars, it means that more car park required.

Currently, CBD seasons car park already 600/mth. Are we looking at 1k/mth like HK?

For HDB car park, are we ready to pay 300/mth if number of cars continue to grow?

You wrong to say that subway is more feasible than driving because of great distance. In Beijing peak hours, roads are choke. Subways is also full of ppl.

How long does it take you to drive from Tuas to Changi during peak hour?

My Beijing colleague staying in the west takes 3.5hour to drive the same length as Tuas to Changi to work.

On the other hand, she save 1 hour by taking subway + shuttle bus.

Irregardless of road or rail, building underground requires money. However roads have more flexibilities to shift crowds, more cost effective and easier to build and maintain. Building MRT is not cheap too. Ever since MRT started, fare increases has been an annual ritual. Even the recent stoppage of fare increases have to be taxed elsewhere from the people to sustain the system, because it is so expensive to build and maintain and the catchment areas are too low.

You should know that if even rail can breakdown in other countries, as much as this is a problem here, it is inevitable that the system cannot face no breakdowns. It's not flexible.

While rail carries more people, however we are ignoring the fact that the system is inflexible and it's also a contributing factor of today's cities problems to overpopulation. That's the problem of today's cities, overcrowding.

With the overpopulation being controlled and flexibility given to work from home initiatives as smart technologies going forward, the woes of overcrowding traffic commuting, and peak hours commuting shouldn't even exist in the first place. Adopting such strategies is better off than just increasing numbers. These problems literally are caused by humans themselves because we created the overpopulation problems confined within an area within a limited time-frame in the first place.

Some people dislike peak hour driving, but there are much more people hating daily peak hour commuting in overcrowding and multiple transfers of public transport commuting too. Take public transport first and understand the woes of such systems as well.

• Praise 1

Irregardless of road or rail, building underground requires money. However roads have more flexibilities to shift crowds, more cost effective and easier to build and maintain. Building MRT is not cheap too. Ever since MRT started, fare increases has been an annual ritual. Even the recent stoppage of fare increases have to be taxed elsewhere from the people to sustain the system, because it is so expensive to build and maintain and the catchment areas are too low.

You should know that if even rail can breakdown in other countries, as much as this is a problem here, it is inevitable that the system cannot face no breakdowns. It's not flexible.

While rail carries more people, however we are ignoring the fact that the system is inflexible and it's also a contributing factor of today's cities problems to overpopulation. That's the problem of today's cities, overcrowding.

With the overpopulation being controlled and flexibility given to work from home initiatives as smart technologies going forward, the woes of overcrowding traffic commuting, and peak hours commuting shouldn't even exist in the first place. Adopting such strategies is better off than just increasing numbers. These problems literally are caused by humans themselves because we created the overpopulation problems confined within an area within a limited time-frame in the first place.

Some people dislike peak hour driving, but there are much more people hating daily peak hour commuting in overcrowding and multiple transfers of public transport commuting too. Take public transport first and understand the woes of such systems as well.

As I said previously, cars need car park. With our landmass, does it make sense to built more roads & car park?

Work from home = Your boss trusts you. How many employers trust their staff?

I had drove to work. I had cycled to work. I took MRT to work.

I hate driving to work.

I quite enjoyed taking MRT to work despite having to do transfer at Bugis. Sg is not pack at all as compared to other cities.

My fav is still cycling to work.

My estate wanton noodle 6yrs ago was $2.5 now $3.30

When I moved into my estate in 2004, chicken rice was 2.50.

When market was upgraded, chicken rice was 3.00.

When market was Reno, chicken is 3.50

Till now still 3.50

• Praise 1

As I said previously, cars need car park. With our landmass, does it make sense to built more roads & car park?

I hate driving to work.

I quite enjoyed taking MRT to work despite having to do transfer at Bugis. Sg is not pack at all as compared to other cities.

Till now still 3.50

As I said previously as well, is increasing the population sustainable for our overpopulation small country in the long run? Traffic problems is just a puzzle of the bigger picture of overpopulation. If overpopulation causes such traffic woes, it's a sign that we need to address overpopulation problems before it gets worse for future generations.

Parking can be confined underground or multi-storied. It has always been proven a successful strategy here. We don't have to follow USA style open area parking everywhere.

Work culture needs to change if we are talking about smart nation. Use smart technologies to address such issues.

And this has been discussed before. Different people have different needs. Your needs are different from others who has family and kids, who have to run errands between work, kids, family, parents, personal stuff, etc. You hated driving doesn’t mean others are.

People take packed MRT daily doesn't mean they are happier and motivated either. People are complaining about it everyday.

The economy figures look ok(positive) for sometimes already so far. Also the COE alone is contributing billions yearly, there are also high road tax and many other fees too from drivers.

Don't talk about new road or highway or new MRT lines, the existing road is mostly already so bad, anybody in road construction industry know the real cost of maintaining good road is just peanuts comparing to those billions tax paid by drivers.

Personally I feel it is a matter of how the money is channelled, looking at how the government spending on those unproductive things, i feel those money should be in better used, it is time for them to focus and channel money on those serious down-to-earth works again.

bro, my kid is sick, so sleep time is erratic haha... all parents should understand...  [laugh]

true that, agreed being a parent is not easy  :TT_TT:

Edited by supersen

I hate driving to work.

Till now still 3.50

But u know coe premium have nothing to do with car population?
↡ Advertisement