How does GPS work in cars

herrydas

My car sends me the location.. insai hv chip

post-547-0-23064800-1516577089_thumb.jpeg

post-547-0-74018000-1516577116_thumb.png

Can catch ppl walking too... like google view

↡ Advertisement

May I know which phone model are you using?cos I went through 3 phones (LG, Motorola and Huawei).

All three downloaded android auto apk online and sideloaded. All three worked. Really enjoying Waze and Google maps. So much better than those gps systems pre installed in cars.

Maybe I can help you with this?

I am using Sony Xperia Z5 Premium.

its not a genuine question lah.

TS signature is a URL to an external site. <_<

He also hv a cheebhai link?

I see batterybhai

Lol

• Praise 1

How does GPS is work in cars if internet system is not working. And where to buy and install GPS system online.

It works via a gps receiver which is connected to your car's head unit. See pic below.

You install it near your windscreen and near the car's roof.

5M-16FT-Car-GPS-GLONASS-External-Antenna

Depending on the head unit you are using. Whether it supports navigation and connection for the gps receiver. It's better to buy the head unit set which comes with the pre-installed navigation software and comes with the gps receiver. That way you don't have to worry about compatible issues.

It works the same as the phone except the receiver chip in the phone has to be tiny to fit inside of the phone. Hence there are limitations for phone navigation. It requires mobile data for accuracy and faster satelite lock. It also consumes power of the small phone battery to navigate. For the car size don't matter and has less compromise, you can solely depend on the receiver chip w/o mobile data. Only problem is that it doesn't work in the tunnels as gps require line of sight. But now navi software come with simulation when travelling in tunnels. Not an issue.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Bro, GPS does not require internet to function. You only need a receiver.

However we are all used to A-GPS which is called Assisted GPS, this uses internet to locate the GPS satellites quicker so you get a faster response. Else, it can take a few minutes for the GPS system to lock on, or could even fail due to the build up nature of SG which blocks the LoS to the satellites.

How i wished i knew all these... i think 8 yr ago.

That time drove to Genting, and my bro-in-law loan us his huawei smart phone (those were early days of smart phones, pre-iPhones), and set the in-built GPS, and told us how to use, as he just did the same thing few months ago.

But his touch screen not good liao, and it failed once we set off! Panic mode set in when we realised it at Air Hitam...

In the end no choice, just follow road signs and we asked any officers in uniforms at/near toll stations for directions when in doubt...

And all these while, I had my company Blackberry with me, and it had GPS!!! I had tried using it, but it took forever to load. i think i gave up after about a min or so, when in that panicky mode...

How i wished i knew all these... i think 8 yr ago.

That time drove to Genting, and my bro-in-law loan us his huawei smart phone (those were early days of smart phones, pre-iPhones), and set the in-built GPS, and told us how to use, as he just did the same thing few months ago.

But his touch screen not good liao, and it failed once we set off! Panic mode set in when we realised it at Air Hitam...

In the end no choice, just follow road signs and we asked any officers in uniforms at/near toll stations for directions when in doubt...

And all these while, I had my company Blackberry with me, and it had GPS!!! I had tried using it, but it took forever to load. i think i gave up after about a min or so, when in that panicky mode...

I used smartphone navigation at an early stage when smartphones have not start putting gps chips in them.

I use a bluetooth GPS receiver from Holux. It still works today. Software on the phone is Windows based OS and it's called Mapking.

Holux-M100B-Bluetooth-Wireless-GPS-Recei

At that time standalone gps systems were expensive. Using this receiver cost less. I enjoy the turn by turn voice navi.Map not so much as screen back dan was small. I just need to place the receiver somewhere on the dashboard.

I am using Sony Xperia Z5 Premium.

Hmm try downloading the latest apk again.

Can android auto run on your phone itself? Might be cable issue. Some people mentioned that the system works only with original USB cable.

Back in the 90s commando and recce troops also use GPS device to navigate. In the forest got internet meh?? Answer is no, you don't need internet for GPS. But the device need to have the map already loaded in offline.

last time in army , our GPS no map one.. only MGR. grid lines with 6 numbers. then we need to reference to a paper map.. a green color rectangular device shaped like toothpaste box. 

i belong to the 90s army ...

He also hv a cheebhai link?

I see batterybhai

Lol

at first i thought u scold vulgar words...

"cheeb.."

then see clearly is cheebhai .. got such thing?

My car sends me the location.. insai hv chip

attachicon.gif35B61432-6B32-46A0-BCD4-49F73CF04ABC.jpeg

attachicon.gifA790E51D-300E-4996-9319-8BCA209D124A.png

Can catch ppl walking too... like google view

your one super high end car?

last time in army , our GPS no map one.. only MGR. grid lines with 6 numbers. then we need to reference to a paper map.. a green color rectangular device shaped like toothpaste box. 

"cheeb.."

My running & cyclocomputer also got no map.  Need to follow lines & routing direction of preset route.

"cheeb.."

Pls hor bmw whr got super high end

Haaaaaa

my bro in law 530 why no such feature?

His PI or PML?

This is part of connected drive features

You can lock the vehicle etc

post-547-0-42980500-1516587850_thumb.png

Can lock car remotely

Unlock

Flash lights etc

Since I hantu like @soya say I let the car move n do these on their own lo

His PI or PML?

This is part of connected drive features

You can lock the vehicle etc

attachicon.gifF560CEBF-231B-4883-818A-242C5863E264.png

Can lock car remotely

Unlock

Flash lights etc

Since I hantu like @soya say I let the car move n do these on their own lo

530i Lux now no stock.. selling like hotcakes. PML said only going to bring in M sport coming apr.. very itchy... 

Android Auto not available in the Singapore's Google Play. I downloaded the APK from some third party websites which I found googling. Works fine no issue. But need to connect with cable so end of day I just use my phone on the mount. 

530i Lux now no stock.. selling like hotcakes. PML said only going to bring in M sport coming apr.. very itchy...

M kit can fix after market

Lux ftw