Let's talk about American pickup trucks.

DACH

Pickup trucks in America are one of the popular choices in the American car industry. Not just American car makers, Japanese like Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Mitsubishi, Mazda has also entered this market segment, without or with failures. Even continental brands like Mercedes Benz is trying to enter this market with it's new X calss, which has not been introduced in the North American market yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickup_truck

Once a work tool with few creature comforts, in the 1950s consumers began purchasing pickups for lifestyle reasons and by the 1990s less than 15 percent of owners reported use in work as the pickup truck's primary purpose.Today in North America, the pickup is mostly used like a passenger car and accounts for about 18 per cent of total vehicles sold in the US.

While in the United States and Canada most pickup trucks are used primarily for passenger transport, agriculture, and commercial uses, pickups are also used in law enforcement, the military, fire services, and for pickup truck racing, a form of auto racing using modified versions of pickups mostly onoval tracks. Race pickup trucks are mechanically similar to coupé-shaped stock cars.

auto-1453254_640.jpg

More reads:

https://www.americantrucks.com/a-history-of-the-classic-pickup-truck.html

The recent Detriot Auto Show has show cased some of the new models for 2018/19.

Let's look at them in the following posts.

↡ Advertisement

2019 Ram 1500 pickup growls into Detroit for NAIAS 2018 debut

https://newatlas.com/2019-ram-1500/52998/

rm019-083fn-1.jpg

Not to be outdone by other truck makers, most of whom have unveiled new pickup trucks over the past year, Ram rumbled into Detroit with a new 1500 half-ton pickup. The unexpected debut from Ram definitely turns heads and makes a statement up on its car show pedestal.

The 2019 Ram 1500 has a look that's only marginally different from the previous-generation, with the signature Ram grille and more pronounced Ram's head logos. What's changed, though, are the differences between individual models in the Ram 1500's lineup, with each getting more or less stuff – mostly in terms of lighting, striping, and logo markings.

The new Ram 1500 is longer and wider than the previous-gen. Cab length increases by about four inches (101.6mm), wheelbase by up to four inches (depending on cab configuration), bed height increases by about 1.5 inches (38.1mm), and overall vehicle width increases by half an inch (12.7mm). Other body changes are subtle and aimed towards improved aerodynamics. The Ram 1500's coefficient of drag is now .357, with the truck utilizing active grille shutters and air suspension.

rm019-088fn-1.jpg

Underneath all that new bodywork is a huge amount of engineering. Despite growing in size, the pickup actually loses weight while gaining a much heavier-duty frame. The new frame is made of 98 percent high-strength steel, making it stronger than ever, improving payload capability to 2,300 pounds (1,043.2 kg) and towing to up to 12,750 lbs (5,783.3 kg). These gains don't mean more weight though, with the Ram 1500 weighing about 225 pounds (102 kg) less than its outgoing generation. Some 100 pounds (45.3 kg) of that weight loss came from the frame itself.

To all of this updated framework comes improved ride and handling, Ram says, thanks to a newly-designed air suspension system, frequency response dampening shocks, and re-tuned chassis components. A new off-road package utilizes an electronic locking rear axle, tuned shocks, hill-descent control, and a full inch (25.4mm) of lift as standard. There's also a heat exchanger system for the rear axle to warm its gear oil to improve its efficiency.

et019-002ep9dmp26p0fs5a1lvmmhrc8ho2dd-1.

et019-003ep58gf045q7dujbvb6mr47undsdu-1.

rm019-052fn8q5q4lus0fs0namo2aho2lq1ta-1.

et019-004epaqmt9g059r0mc6ad7brl3602lc-1.

et019-005epj8iqvb9a8gdjtt3013odqlr8uo-1.

et019-006ep6sumpmjkse6p5b1bb0e18n7npt-1.

et019-008ep65epqq9os3rfbu30v2gid9gngl-1.

The standard 3.6-liter V6 remains the base engine, but now includes engine stop-start and short-term torque assist powered by brake energy regeneration. These same features are found on the 5.7-liter Hemi V8 engine. This mild hybrid system adds up to 90 foot-pounds (122 Nm) of torque to the V6's output and up to 130 lb-ft (176 Nm) of torque to the V8. The V8 engine also features cylinder cut-off when cruising for better fuel economy as well as active noise cancellation in the cabin. A new generation eight-speed automatic transmission is standard.

Inside, the 2019 Ram 1500 is a bit larger, but most of the focus is on new technology. The fourth-generation of Fiat-Chrysler's Uconnect infotainment system is featured prominently, sitting on an huge 12-inch touchscreen display that dominates the central dash.

The 12-inch screen can be split for dual application use, and 4G WiFi through SiriusXM's Guardian Connected Services, plus a 19-speaker Harman Kardon audio system with a 900-watt surround-sound amplifier is available. Navigation can include voice-controlled destination and 3D maps, with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay available on both the standard 8.4-inch Uconnect and the upgraded 12-inch screen.

rm019-073fn-1.jpgrm019-039fnb1hi2hghsav89m8ojeat4bjf1f-1.

rm019-075fn-1.jpgrm019-074fnm42utr2ri9h8hfe31ippb1ck0l-1.

Driver-assistance options include parking assistance, lane departure warning and mitigation, as well as trailer sway damping control.

The 2019 Ram 1500 will become available in the United States and Canada in the second quarter of 2018 and has entered production at FCA's Sterling Heights Assembly Plant in Michigan.

rm019-092fn7l4lh1oh2ncq2cvjti5gs4mmgh-1.

rm019-091fn-1.jpg

rm019-048fnjm9u8lioos1b6dtmohai2vohv-1.j

rm019-133fn-1.jpg

rm019-107fn-1.jpg

rm019-112fn-1.jpg

rm019-113fn-1.jpg

rm019-068fn-1.jpg

rm019-072fn31brkrr7h7tmfpgu4n7pigo29v-1.

7 Things to Love About the 2019 Ford Ranger Ford’s midsized truck returns to the U.S.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/seven-things-to-love-about-the-2019-ford-ranger/

2019-Ford-Ranger-front-view-in-motion-ar

The Ford Ranger is back! After seven years of watching Chevrolet and Toyota dominate the midsize(ish) truck market, Ford tweaked its longstanding international market Ranger for the U.S. consumer. You’re going to have to wait until next year to drive the Blue Oval’s newest truck, but in the meantime, here’s a few key things to look forward to.

pic-2018-Ford-Ranger.jpg

1. U.S. Ranger is beefier than ROW

Ford envisions a Ranger buyer as someone who uses their truck not as a work mule, but as a daily driver and occasional recreational partner. For this reason, the new Ranger is a little softer, a little more approachable than an F-150. Don’t think this means it’s a pudgy trucklet—the U.S. market Ranger rides on a special boxed frame. It also wears a solid steel front bumper with integrated tow hooks, for when you overestimate that mudpuddle.

2. One engine, one transmission

Onlookers might initially call foul on just one engine option and the lack of a manual transmission, but we’re happy to see a simplified lineup. Sure, the 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder is the only option, but Ford already offers the engine in various power levels. We’re not privy to the Ranger’s power figures, but considering the Explorer’s 2.3-liter packs 280 hp and 310 lb-ft, that’s a good place to start. At higher trims, the four-pot could be tweaked for more power or more torque. Remember, the potent Focus RS uses a variant of the same engine, so 350 hp isn’t out of the question.

3. It uses the new 10-speed

Speaking of transmissions, the new Ranger comes exclusively with the new 10-speed automatic transmission. This is the same gearbox that FoMoCo and GM co-developed, and has found itself slotted in everything from  a Chevrolet Camaro ZL1Ford Mustang GT, Ford F-150 Raptor, andCadillac Escalade. It’s smart, quick-shifting, and robust, so it should be right at home in the Ranger.

4. Wheels, wheels, wheels

Trucks, both large and small, are all about making your own way. Buyers love to individualize their pickups, and the Ranger offers this right out of the gate with a choice of eight colors and eight different wheel options.

5. It’s not scared of getting dirty

The Ranger will launch with an available FX4 off-road package, adding upgraded tires, front bash plate, uprated off-road suspension, frame-bolted skidplates, and off-road specific driving modes, including Trail Control and Hill Descent Control.

The Ranger shares a terrain management with the big, bad Raptor, incorporating four distinct drive modes for different scenarios. Adventurous types can pick from Normal, Grass/Gravel/Snow, Mud, and Sand.

7. Just as usable on the inside as it is on the outside

It’s got all the functionality of a Ford Escape. Roadtrippers will love the 8.0-inch touchscreen with SYNC 3, while outdoorsy types will make good use of the waterproof storage under the rear seats.

2018-Ford-Ranger-interior.jpg

• Praise 2

2019 Chevrolet Silverado is here!!!

A closer look at the Bowtie brand's new full-size truck

http://www.motortrend.com/news/refreshing-revolting-2019-chevrolet-silverado/

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-001.jpg?resize=

The 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 debuted at the 2018 Detroit auto show wearing an exterior that commands attention. Larger than the truck it replaces, the 2019 Silverado 1500 is more capable and is now available with a new 3.0-liter turbodiesel I-6. In total, six powertrain combinations will be available along with eight trim levels.

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-003.jpg?resize=

Immediately, the 2019 Silverado 1500’s front fascia grabs attention with its new slim headlights and a massive new grille that changes based on the trim level. The most aggressive-looking variant is the Trail Boss with its blacked out front fascia, giving it a tougher appearance than other trims. In comparison, the outgoing Silverado 1500 was boxier and its front end didn’t have nearly as much visual pop as the 2019 model.

From the side, both trucks have a very similar silhouette until you get closer to the front where the 2019 model’s slim headlight clusters give it a less conventional look by breaking up all the boxiness. Out back, the angular theme continues with taillights that mimic the shape of the headlights and split dual exhaust tips instead of the large side exit tips of the outgoing truck. The most obvious change is the addition of a large Chevrolet script on the tailgate, which is similar to what’s found in crosstown rivals Ram 1500 and certain trims of the Ford F-150

The interior is where some familiarity can be found between the 2019 model and the outgoing truck such as the dual glove box and a conventional instrument cluster. Some of the controls remain to the left of the driver; however, the center stack in the 2019 Silverado 1500 appears to have more buttons compared to its predecessor. Even the center console design is similar and features a large storage cubby ahead of the cup holders and on the side.

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-014.jpg?resize=

When it goes on sale later this year, th2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 will offer a full range of configurations to suit any truck buyer’s needs, from a utilitarian work truck to a luxury-minded High Country variant packed with all kinds of creature comforts. For those of you looking for some off-road performance, the Trail Boss will come with just that and include a specially tuned suspension with additional ground clearance, all-terrain tires, Rancho shocks, and skid plates.

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-017.jpg?resize=

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-005.jpg?resize=

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-013.jpg?w=539&h

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-016.jpg?w=303&h2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-015.jpg?w=303&h

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-012.jpg?w=557&h

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-011.jpg?w=285&h2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-010.jpg?w=285&h

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-009.jpg?w=432&h2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-008.jpg?w=410&h

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-007.jpg?w=428&h2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-006.jpg?w=414&h

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-004.jpg?w=423&h2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-005.jpg?w=419&h

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-002.jpg?w=846&h

@Mustank  :grin:

2019 Chevrolet Silverado is here!!!

A closer look at the Bowtie brand's new full-size truck

http://www.motortrend.com/news/refreshing-revolting-2019-chevrolet-silverado/

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-001.jpg?resize=

The 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 debuted at the 2018 Detroit auto show wearing an exterior that commands attention. Larger than the truck it replaces, the 2019 Silverado 1500 is more capable and is now available with a new 3.0-liter turbodiesel I-6. In total, six powertrain combinations will be available along with eight trim levels.

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-003.jpg?resize=

Immediately, the 2019 Silverado 1500âs front fascia grabs attention with its new slim headlights and a massive new grille that changes based on the trim level. The most aggressive-looking variant is the Trail Boss with its blacked out front fascia, giving it a tougher appearance than other trims. In comparison, the outgoing Silverado 1500 was boxier and its front end didnât have nearly as much visual pop as the 2019 model.

From the side, both trucks have a very similar silhouette until you get closer to the front where the 2019 modelâs slim headlight clusters give it a less conventional look by breaking up all the boxiness. Out back, the angular theme continues with taillights that mimic the shape of the headlights and split dual exhaust tips instead of the large side exit tips of the outgoing truck. The most obvious change is the addition of a large Chevrolet script on the tailgate, which is similar to whatâs found in crosstown rivals Ram 1500 and certain trims of the Ford F-150

The interior is where some familiarity can be found between the 2019 model and the outgoing truck such as the dual glove box and a conventional instrument cluster. Some of the controls remain to the left of the driver; however, the center stack in the 2019 Silverado 1500 appears to have more buttons compared to its predecessor. Even the center console design is similar and features a large storage cubby ahead of the cup holders and on the side.

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-014.jpg?resize=

When it goes on sale later this year, the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500will offer a full range of configurations to suit any truck buyerâs needs, from a utilitarian work truck to a luxury-minded High Country variant packed with all kinds of creature comforts. For those of you looking for some off-road performance, the Trail Boss will come with just that and include a specially tuned suspension with additional ground clearance, all-terrain tires, Rancho shocks, and skid plates.

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-017.jpg?resize=

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-005.jpg?resize=

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-013.jpg?w=539&h

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-016.jpg?w=303&h2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-015.jpg?w=303&h

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-012.jpg?w=557&h

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-011.jpg?w=285&h2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-010.jpg?w=285&h

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-009.jpg?w=432&h2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-008.jpg?w=410&h

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-007.jpg?w=428&h2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-006.jpg?w=414&h

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-004.jpg?w=423&h2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-005.jpg?w=419&h

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-002.jpg?w=846&h

@Mustank :grin:

When they come out with new toys, you just sing this song to the tune of transformers

Original:

Transformers..........more than meets the eye

Anyhow:

Transformers..........no money to buy :XD:

https://youtu.be/_AIFoBRIny0

Edited by Mustank

Some of them are real monsters... the Ford F150 Raptor, for instance, is a giant pick up truck which has 450hp and goes from 0-100 in something like 5 sec...

F150 doesn't have RHD. So cannot import from Malaysia.

I think someone imported a RHD version to Malaysia. Modification done by third party using conversion kit, I remember i saw a video in youtube. Search youtube for it. Cost RM389K.

Grew up with pick-up truck. First car I drove after I got my driving licence was a Ford Ranger, in red, turbodiesel, manual transmission. I still remember that the earlier versions does not come with EBD and all the safety features. The problem with pick-up truck is that, without load at the back, the rear is lighter than the front. Most of the time, it is recommended to drive with 2H. One time skidded during rainy day, got into the drain, tried to reverse to get out but could not, panicked (was 17yo that time), didn't know what to do. Was scared that my dad will kill me for the incident. After 15mins, I saw the 4x4 gear lever next to the gear stick, switched from 2H to 4L, and slowly reversed out from the drain. Luckily no major damage to the car, drove home and kept quiet.

Still would love to own a Ford Ranger (preferably the WildTrak version), but don't think it is feasible in Singapore.

I think someone imported a RHD version to Malaysia. Modification done by third party using conversion kit, I remember i saw a video in youtube. Search youtube for it. Cost RM389K.

Grew up with pick-up truck. First car I drove after I got my driving licence was a Ford Ranger, in red, turbodiesel, manual transmission. I still remember that the earlier versions does not come with EBD and all the safety features. The problem with pick-up truck is that, without load at the back, the rear is lighter than the front. Most of the time, it is recommended to drive with 2H. One time skidded during rainy day, got into the drain, tried to reverse to get out but could not, panicked (was 17yo that time), didn't know what to do. Was scared that my dad will kill me for the incident. After 15mins, I saw the 4x4 gear lever next to the gear stick, switched from 2H to 4L, and slowly reversed out from the drain. Luckily no major damage to the car, drove home and kept quiet.

Still would love to own a Ford Ranger (preferably the WildTrak version), but don't think it is feasible in Singapore.

Ford Ranger is on sale here.

But the twin cab version is too big for many MSCP.  [dead]

Ford Ranger is on sale here.

But the twin cab version is too big for many MSCP. [dead]

Yes I know it is available in Singapore, but can only register as commercial vehicle I think, might be wrong.

The version sold here is quite bare, compared to MY version. Would consider owning one in MY instead, so much cheaper as well.

The profit margins on this type of vehicle are much higher . High price for something that doesn't cost the manufacturer much to manufacture compared to a proper car

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Grew up with pick-up truck. First car I drove after I got my driving licence was a Ford Ranger, in red, turbodiesel, manual transmission. I still remember that the earlier versions does not come with EBD and all the safety features. The problem with pick-up truck is that, without load at the back, the rear is lighter than the front. Most of the time, it is recommended to drive with 2H. One time skidded during rainy day, got into the drain, tried to reverse to get out but could not, panicked (was 17yo that time), didn't know what to do. Was scared that my dad will kill me for the incident. After 15mins, I saw the 4x4 gear lever next to the gear stick, switched from 2H to 4L, and slowly reversed out from the drain. Luckily no major damage to the car, drove home and kept quiet.

Wow drive into drain and still no major damage? If normal saloon car drove into drain = gg Lao. Looks like pick up truck is a darn solid vehicle. Edited by Yewheng

Yes I know it is available in Singapore, but can only register as commercial vehicle I think, might be wrong.

The version sold here is quite bare, compared to MY version. Would consider owning one in MY instead, so much cheaper as well.

I've asked the agent before. Can register as private vehicle.

Wow drive into drain and still no major damage? If normal saloon car drove into drain = gg Lao. Looks like pick up truck is a darn solid vehicle.

It certainly is, high ground clearance and big wheels help. The marketing tagline for Ford at that time is ‘Built Tough’. It is build on ladder frame chassis, I think, so it is more flexible. However, it is not as comfortable as current SUVs, you can feel the bumps in a pick up truck.

Having driven both Ranger and Hilux, I would say Hilux is an overall better truck. But I always will have soft spot for Ranger. There was also the Isuzu Invader (before the Dmax), but I can remember the Diesel engine on the Isuzu was very noisy.