All about kueh lapis

Jman888

Eh my parents just came back and bought a few from Diana.

I brought home and realised the top layer got a few mould spots leh.

Still edible?

Scoop away the mould !

↡ Advertisement

Still edible?

dun think is edible, they can only last for 3-4 days if left outside. 

i left a few pieces outside for 4 days, it smells bad. 

Still edible?

Try to eat within 2 days. After eat put fridge

attachicon.gif20180203_191038.jpg

attachicon.gif20180203_233001.jpg

Made some yesterday. Made some with thicker layers and some with thinner layers cuz some of my friends claim that thicker layers will make the cake softer. Didn't seem to make any difference to me.

Actually, home baked stuff can be sold legally. As long as the business is small scale and never hire employees and all that. HDB allows and NEA says no need for license since it is small scale. But quite obvious which ones are not really home made la.

Looks nice.

Layers very even.  [thumbsup]

Wha @Nzy I showed pics of your cakes to some baking connoisseurs n most said it looked real pro. Too bad can’t try as it might just win u some awards if the taste is as good as it looks, well done!!

• Praise 6

Twincharged

Wha @Nzy I showed pics of your cakes to some baking connoisseurs n most said it looked real pro. Too bad can’t try as it might just win u some awards if the taste is as good as it looks, well done!!

Thanks. I think kueh lapis is quite a simple cake to bake. Just need alot of concentration and patience.  [laugh]  First time I baked many years ago, didn't have the patience to keep looking at the cake while it was baking and some layers got burnt.

Thanks. I think kueh lapis is quite a simple cake to bake. Just need alot of concentration and patience. [laugh] First time I baked many years ago, didn't have the patience to keep looking at the cake while it was baking and some layers got burnt.

Wow! Why not try to bake and sell duribg CNY?

I heard it takes alot of effort to bake kueh lapis, hv to bake layer by layer.

• Praise 7

Twincharged

Wow! Why not try to bake and sell duribg CNY?

I heard it takes alot of effort to bake kueh lapis, hv to bake layer by layer.

• Praise 5

Thanks. I think kueh lapis is quite a simple cake to bake. Just need alot of concentration and patience. [laugh] First time I baked many years ago, didn't have the patience to keep looking at the cake while it was baking and some layers got burnt.

kudos bro, really looks good and i'm sure tastes good too! you make "alot of concentration and patience" sound so simple -_-

if you are willing to make some to sell, i'm sure MCFers will place order haha

Edited by kdash
  • Praise 2

This thread come very timely. I just got mine from Lavender at JB. As with @jman888, we used to buy from Indonesia (through friends and relatives), but ever since we tried Lavender (about 5 - 6 years ago), the rest is history.

Relatively cheap and very good. Neither too sweet nor oily. As long as you keep it in fridge (cooling compartment will do), it can last for about a month.

jzijw5.jpg

2mdnwhh.jpg

Pricing for this year:

Plain => RM83 / ~S$28.0 (900g) RM46 / ~S$15.5 (400g)

Prune => RM88 / ~S$29.7 (900g) RM48 / ~S$16.2 (400g)

Cranberry => RM88 / ~S$29.7 (900g) RM48 / ~S$16.2 (400g)

Do check out their website for more details and location. https://www.lavender.com.my/

I second that! Even Seasons loose out to them (The chief and most of the pioneer were from Seasons previous)

With Bro @carbon82 inspirations, I decided to get a few for myself and my MIL too from jb lavender. Thanks @carbon82 for saving my wallet from the S$100/kg kueh lapis.. Haha..

post-138980-0-58564600-1518139876_thumb.jpg

post-138980-0-80460100-1518139708_thumb.jpg

Edited by Buadongdong
  • Praise 3

With Bro @carbon82 inspirations, I decided to get a few for myself and my MIL too from jb lavender. Thanks @carbon82 for saving my wallet from the S$100/kg kueh lapis.. Haha..

attachicon.gifpost-138980-0-73463500-1518139696.jpg

attachicon.gif20180209_062135.jpg

I too have been buying from Lavender in Malaysia, from both KL and Bukit Inda outlets. Beside kue lapis, I am also very impressed with the selection of bakery available. Not the run-ff-the-mill variety, and cheap compare to over here. 

• Praise 1

I too have been buying from Lavender in Malaysia, from both KL and Bukit Inda outlets. Beside kue lapis, I am also very impressed with the selection of bakery available. Not the run-ff-the-mill variety, and cheap compare to over here. 

I buy moon cakes from Lavender too.

• Praise 1

On this lapis topic, another worthy choice for me would be from Zulaikha if going Medan. Ask any native from Medan they will know. And very cheap at about S$10/kg only. Can see many tourist or customers buy in bulk and they will pack into small boxes for easy transport to airport. Also the shop has another famous cake called ambon. Very nice too. Take note they only make  2 or 3 times a day, and will sell out very quickly. I ever bought other brands,,especially last minute from airport which is at least 50% more costly, taste really not as good.

Normally I will also buy swiss roll from a shop called Meranti. This one need to queue for at least half an hour. Never know Indon is famous for this kind of thing.  Location is all around the location attached in this posting, can always ask the driver to detour there to tabao if along the way before going airport.

http://mhm.asia/bika-ambon-zulaikha-rasanya-mendunia/

http://thefoodescape.com/2011/01/bolu-meranti-bika-ambon-zulaikha-medan.html/

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Restaurant_Review-g297725-d6489165-Reviews-Zulaikha_Bika_Ambon-Medan_North_Sumatra_Sumatra.html

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Zulaikha+Bika+Ambon/@3.5753811,98.6451722,14z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x68a1c8e19428ac71!8m2!3d3.5850509!4d98.6659371?hl=en-US

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Restaurant_Review-g297725-d6488881-Reviews-Bolu_Meranti-Medan_North_Sumatra_Sumatra.html

post-101253-0-97923200-1518839105.jpg

post-101253-0-98041600-1518839117.jpg

post-101253-0-41792000-1518839135.jpg

• Praise 3

As shared in the makan thread, this home made lapis from East Malaysia (Sarawak) not bad too. Price at RM90 (~$30) for 1 kg.

ndsowo.jpg

dh8xvd.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5