Forester (NA) vs. Tucson (2L)

Diesel

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which will you choose?

• Forester (NA)
    • Tucson (2L)

Yes,my friend got 1,long Jams at Causeway,will overheat the Gearbox...Subaru,parts more expensive.

Rather pay more for parts than have a toasted gearbox for snack...
↡ Advertisement

Yes,my friend got 1,long Jams at Causeway,will overheat the Gearbox...Subaru,parts more expensive.

That could be due to cooling system design issue, my stock 2 litre NA Subaru used to jam in custom for 3 hours x2times for every weekends and never had an overheating issue.

Subaru parts can get cheap from stockies, maintenance outside are not that ex.

In my 9yr plus usage, only a radiator change, a set of timing belt and spark plugs changed, water pump and front wheel bearing units changed which are costly, rest are usual running cost like brake pad, ATF oil, diff oil which only change in every 40km.

Am driving the 2L tucson for 2 years now. It is a reliable and comfortable family SubCompac SUV. The

ride is good , taking on humps without hassle. With traction control ON, it can tackle twisty roads. 

I ride on ECO mode daily with fuel consumption at 9L/100km. Full tank 95 ron is about $100.

The only gripe is the engine is 2L MPI with normal 6 speed auto. This gives it a sedate composure.

If you are more enthusiatic, I would urge you to get the Tucson with 1.6 T with Dual Clutch.

I am getting the Kona for my son. Reason being its fuel efficient and 1.0 T manual. He likes

the ride. Maybe you can test drive too. 

Hi, thanks for sharing 9L/100km is quite acceptable for me. Have tried both the 1.6T & 2L back to back and felt the DCT gear shifting not as smooth/gradual as expected, maybe its my driving style.

the kona 1.0T is also a feature-full car but the interior space didn't work out for me. My colleague just booked 1 2 weeks back awaiting delivery.

to my pleasant surprise as well, YES!

Tucson rear has aircon vent?

That could be due to cooling system design issue, my stock 2 litre NA Subaru used to jam in custom for 3 hours x2times for every weekends and never had an overheating issue.

Subaru parts can get cheap from stockies, maintenance outside are not that ex.

In my 9yr plus usage, only a radiator change, a set of timing belt and spark plugs changed, water pump and front wheel bearing units changed which are costly, rest are usual running cost like brake pad, ATF oil, diff oil which only change in every 40km.

The DCT Gearbox overheated is the Hyundai,not the Subaru is using CVT.

I think some ppl got some things wrong.

Subaru parts aren't expensive. It's the labour that's expensive.

Reason for being expensive is becoz of the boxer engine. Unlike an inline4 engine its spark plugs, timing belt, water pump are very hard to reach. Just search Youtube to see why. It's labour intensive. The bill reflects the parts cost inclusive of the labour but dan the labour cost is not reflected. LoL... Same with all workshops.

Subaru being an awd takes more effort to move from stand still and up to speed hence fuel economy will suffer if you have plenty of start stop driving. Having a cvt gb isn't going to help much. IMO awd is just a marketing gimmick becoz driving on tarmac you cannot have the torque equally distributed front and rear on the wheels. The tires will burn out literally. So it's either front or rear wheel biased. Not much diff from a fwd or rwd car in our road conditions. There's not much offroad for you drive unless you go Malacca.

If you want something predictable, easy to maintain I think the choice is clear between the two. No doubt predictable also means boring. Your choice I think will depend on your priorities.

If me I will choose the one with an inline4 engine mated to a planetary gb and is fwd.

• Praise 1

Hi. I don't get you on the tarmac AWD part.

Can explain?

For awd or 4x4 means the power or torque is send to all 4 wheels front and rear and distributed equally.

Let's say your car's engine produce 200Nm of torque hence each wheel receive 50Nm of torque(ignore transmission loses). I think that's easy to understand. This works well off road becoz grip isn't always there on all of the 4 wheels but on tarmac the grip on 4 wheels don't have a problem. The friction will burn it out after some driving.

I was warned many times when I was going for off road course during NS. Cannot drive full time 4wd on tarmac. The differential must be disengaged. Differential is to connect the front and rear wheels to make them 4 wheel driven. Disengage will make the land rover go back to 2 wheel drive.

Modern cars equipped with 4wd or awd are electronic and you have no mechanical controls like a land rover defender. Meaning the controls are done via the computer. It decides when to be 4wd/awd, not you. So in the mean time it's in 2wd most of the time. You can see for yourself. You have no controls to put how much % to the front or rear wheels becoz the car maker is worried you dunno how to use and break/damage the system.

Awd system are more complex. They have more torque in 2 wheels and much less on the other 2 so that the tires won't burn out. But in terms of % torque distribution the car maker won't say. It's all computer controlled.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Have short-listed these 2 and would like some comments on both models.

Forester for good handling with better safety rating

Tucson for better interior space & updated looks/design

• Praise 1

just get a turbo forester.

If u are willing to help him topup the difference, why not?

Why dont consider toyota harrier turbo?

Then he should consider X5, Q5 or GLC as they are even much better. At least more preimum in term of badge than Harrier Edited by Lotr8445r
  • Praise 3
  • Dislike 1

If u are willing to help him topup the difference, why not?

Then he should consider X5, Q5 or GLC as they are even much better. At least more preimum in term of badge than Harrier

It's better to ignore troll like you. 5 dislike from me.

• Praise 1

It's better to ignore troll like you. 5 dislike from me.

LOL I was trying to made u see yourself as a troll by making the similar comment as want you have posted to TS.

If TS is willing or can afford the price of Forester Turbo, he would not have made this post. You are just making 2 cents feedback to him. So i help him to do the same to u by answering u back.

What a joke, u give me 5 dislike saying i am a troll instead.

Dont worry, i will not give u 5 dislike back

Cheers

Edited by Lotr8445r
  • Praise 3

For awd or 4x4 means the power or torque is send to all 4 wheels front and rear and distributed equally.

Let's say your car's engine produce 200Nm of torque hence each wheel receive 50Nm of torque(ignore transmission loses). I think that's easy to understand. This works well off road becoz grip isn't always there on all of the 4 wheels but on tarmac the grip on 4 wheels don't have a problem. The friction will burn it out after some driving.

I was warned many times when I was going for off road course during NS. Cannot drive full time 4wd on tarmac. The differential must be disengaged. Differential is to connect the front and rear wheels to make them 4 wheel driven. Disengage will make the land rover go back to 2 wheel drive.

Modern cars equipped with 4wd or awd are electronic and you have no mechanical controls like a land rover defender. Meaning the controls are done via the computer. It decides when to be 4wd/awd, not you. So in the mean time it's in 2wd most of the time. You can see for yourself. You have no controls to put how much % to the front or rear wheels becoz the car maker is worried you dunno how to use and break/damage the system.

Awd system are more complex. They have more torque in 2 wheels and much less on the other 2 so that the tires won't burn out. But in terms of % torque distribution the car maker won't say. It's all computer controlled.

Subaru are permanent AWD and what you described that owners cant control when the car goes into 2WD is only true for some of the other car brands using selectable 4WD system.

https://www.subaru.com.au/car-advice/awd-vs-4wd

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1