Singpost postman threw residents letters away

supersen

I wanna ask a dumb question. If manpower is an issue, why not change the kpi?

Let's say the post man covers 20 blocks daily. Why not change it to he covers only 10 blocks a day? And alternate with the other 10 blocks?

Meaning originally he covers block 1-20 a day.

Now he covers 1-10 on Monday, 11-20 on Tuesday and then 1-10 on Wednesday and so on? All things equal, the actual load should be roughly the same unless block 1-10 consistently receives much more mail than 11-20.

He saves a lot of time travelling from block to block, time which could be spent waiting for people to open doors for example.

And with snail mail, I don't think letters are so urgent that one extra day delay in delivery is going to affect anyone. Most important notifications that are time dependent tend to be done online nowadays. Even letters regarding income tax or fines. A day or two delay won't kill anyone.

My two cents.

You have just proposed a brilliant solution! 

Current SOP for the postman is one has to cover the 20 blocks in around 6 to 7 hours. Which is a heavy workload. 

Don't you feel that the postal service and delivery is so much better back in the year 2000? 

Understand from friend who used to work in Singpost, the number of postman is around 2500 to 3000. This number has been unchange for the past 20 years. 

Just a simple calculation. Lets say postman at 3000. 

Back in year 2000, Singapore population is around 4 mil. so 1 postman serve about 1333 people

The population in 2018 is around 5.7 mil. so 1 postman serve about 1900 people. 

(not sure about the increase of the number of household) 

Conclusion is that the postman is underpaid and overwork. So your proposed solution is definitely workable.  

↡ Advertisement

You have just proposed a brilliant solution!

Current SOP for the postman is one has to cover the 20 blocks in around 6 to 7 hours. Which is a heavy workload.

Don't you feel that the postal service and delivery is so much better back in the year 2000?

Understand from friend who used to work in Singpost, the number of postman is around 2500 to 3000. This number has been unchange for the past 20 years.

Back in year 2000, Singapore population is around 4 mil. so 1 postman serve about 1333 people

Conclusion is that the postman is underpaid and overwork. So your proposed solution is definitely workable.

There are a lot of time wasted that could be improved especially when deal with delivery of item to door step. There maybe some people whose schedule are very busy and usually no one at home and would prefer to self collect at their own free time. Yet singpost just come knocking house and no one at home will then put these item to nearest post office for these people to go collect.

If let's say singpost have this option for people to select self collect at POP station, then it makes singpost worker easier as they could one shot put many different item to each individual POP station and then maybe not need to run around knocking doors so frequently with no one at home. Like that a lot of time could be saved for them to do other things and ease their workload.

Let's say the post man covers 20 blocks daily. Why not change it to he covers only 10 blocks a day? And alternate with the other 10 blocks?

Now he covers 1-10 on Monday, 11-20 on Tuesday and then 1-10 on Wednesday and so on? All things equal, the actual load should be roughly the same unless block 1-10 consistently receives much more mail than 11-20.

He saves a lot of time travelling from block to block, time which could be spent waiting for people to open doors for example.

And with snail mail, I don't think letters are so urgent that one extra day delay in delivery is going to affect anyone. Most important notifications that are time dependent tend to be done online nowadays. Even letters regarding income tax or fines. A day or two delay won't kill anyone.

My two cents.

everyone will think their mail are important and wanted it to be delivered within days, how can the post office determine the priority?

the postman could be the problem worker, just not happy and decided to dump his job.

Don’t spectulate guys, must wait for COI...haha.

I say it’s a disgruntled postman who is overworked because Singpost promised next day delivery for snail mail.

My two cents.

The postman at my parent's place already implemented this on his own lol. We used to only receive a stack of letters 2-3 times a week! Some days no letters, some days plenty of letters - what are the odds?

Saw an advertisement for food stall assistant about $1.2k per month currently.

Quite crappy to give such low salary now since standard of living has gone up so much! Cant believe why there are still so many employers give such salary?

And your calculation doesn't even include all the extra e-commerce packages these days which are  very substantial and requires the postman to go direct to the door.

It's easy to claim the postman is lazy (how come so many lazy postmen around???) but what's really happening is that they are given 15 hours of work to be done in 8 hours so they are forced to save time by leaving packages in their vehicle and just leaving the slip for you to self collect.

Quite crappy to give such low salary now since standard of living has gone up so much! Cant believe why there are still so many employers give such salary?

Because there are people that accept such crap salaries lor.

Don’t spectulate guys, must wait for COI...haha.

I say it’s a disgruntled postman who is overworked because Singpost promised next day delivery for snail mail.

I don't subscribe to this notion that we must wait for the authorities to give all the information before we can try to determine what happened.

Authorities have proven themselves to be self-serving and not out for the truth. Remember the singdeaths in the hospitals? How come information was only released after the elections?

Because there are people that accept such crap salaries lor.

I guess these people have no choice but to accept such crap salaries. Cause if employers give such crap salaries, what can job seekers do? Even they ask for more but employers still insists giving such low salary also no choice.

Ask yourself who do you vote for.

i seriously hope opposition take over and see of everyone salary will double  [laugh]  [laugh]

Long time ago, hear say if opposition take over, our wife and daughter will become maid in other countries  :a-bang:

• Praise 2

I guess these people have no choice but to accept such crap salaries. Cause if employers give such crap salaries, what can job seekers do? Even they ask for more but employers still insists giving such low salary also no choice.

Salary is a function of demand and supply. If there is a labor shortage, there will be plenty of choice.

i seriously hope opposition take over and see if everyone salary will double [laugh][laugh]

Instead of asking for salaries to double, why not remove all those unnecessary taxes and taxes upon taxes?

I think your reasoning is nonsense.

Singpost should increase postmen headcount instead of expecting us residents to use PopStations to relieve their operating expenses.

Punishment and send the postman packing isn’t the solution. The postal service is already short of manpower this is not helping. This will only create more resentment. And many of these postal workers aren’t locals.
It has to start with the public. If you are ordering online and you know you are not at home, use the popstations. If in a day 10 of you send the postman on a wild goose chase with nobody answering the door the poor fellow no need to rest liao. His daily work will just never get done.
I know some ppl’s mentality damn f-dup wan. Like to tekkan others. Or the cheapo ones who must get their money’s worth. Ok lo, now your items you bought online gets dumped in a bin. Dunno what is coming next. Good luck.

• Praise 1

post-14834-0-82783700-1548886379_thumb.jpg

Very true isn't it. Like for this singpost postman threw residents letter away. If he is under pressure to deliver many letters and he do this stunt of throwing letters away, that shows his character.

I think your reasoning is nonsense.

Singpost should increase postmen headcount instead of expecting us residents to use PopStations to relieve their operating expenses.

Eh. It depends, some people prefer to own time own target instead of waiting for postman to come. So at least have this option for users to choose.

Edited by Yewheng

The Romance of Recieving Mail in the old Days ....Please Mr Postman ( Carpenters)

Today = Singpost

Edited by BanCoe
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5