Mercedes C class 2018

therock

Bro, dont quite follow your arguments

U are planning to switch a 1 year old 7G for a new 9G

your annual depreciation for your 7G after 1 year is 14.5 k at your sale price?

What are the relative "savings" buying a new 9G now

coe drop does not quite matter, what matters is the absolute Nett price of your new car and the nett sale price of your old car and your nett

loss when u sell and the relative depr of old and new car at the same time point

actual essential package savings are limited, what matters is the actual cash discount up front

Sigh, you hit the nail on the head.  No monetary gain or savings really, which is why I am still thinking about it. The 9G will depreciate at about same rate as my 7G.  The car will be delivered in aug. So current car will be 17 mths old when I swap to new car.  That is a straight line 20k depreciation loss which I will have to top up for new car which maybe is ok since depreciation of new car is typically higher in first 1-2 years.

Benefit is driving a 9G car; Extend COE life by 17 months (I am one of those who worry that COE will go up a lot in a few years time!); I can transfer my current service credits which will last longer since brake pads, battery is now covered; there is the extra PPS, interior cleaning, windshield polish, etc., but I don't put much value to that.  Not sure what else I may be missing. 

↡ Advertisement

Why waste good money on more or less the same car? 

Life is too short to be driving 2 same car one after another.

Save the money drive till 3yrs, upgrade to a better model. 

Sigh, you hit the nail on the head.  No monetary gain or savings really, which is why I am still thinking about it. The 9G will depreciate at about same rate as my 7G.  The car will be delivered in aug. So current car will be 17 mths old when I swap to new car.  That is a straight line 20k depreciation loss which I will have to top up for new car which maybe is ok since depreciation of new car is typically higher in first 1-2 years.

Benefit is driving a 9G car; Extend COE life by 17 months (I am one of those who worry that COE will go up a lot in a few years time!); I can transfer my current service credits which will last longer since brake pads, battery is now covered; there is the extra PPS, interior cleaning, windshield polish, etc., but I don't put much value to that.  Not sure what else I may be missing. 

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Sigh, you hit the nail on the head. No monetary gain or savings really, which is why I am still thinking about it. The 9G will depreciate at about same rate as my 7G. The car will be delivered in aug. So current car will be 17 mths old when I swap to new car. That is a straight line 20k depreciation loss which I will have to top up for new car which maybe is ok since depreciation of new car is typically higher in first 1-2 years.

Benefit is driving a 9G car; Extend COE life by 17 months (I am one of those who worry that COE will go up a lot in a few years time!); I can transfer my current service credits which will last longer since brake pads, battery is now covered; there is the extra PPS, interior cleaning, windshield polish, etc., but I don't put much value to that. Not sure what else I may be missing.

What is your current car model?

After 17 months only 20k depreciation on straight line basis?

You cannot work out like that wan la.

Try asking for your car resale value....... easily lose close to 30k.

• Praise 9

Sigh, you hit the nail on the head. No monetary gain or savings really, which is why I am still thinking about it. The 9G will depreciate at about same rate as my 7G. The car will be delivered in aug. So current car will be 17 mths old when I swap to new car. That is a straight line 20k depreciation loss which I will have to top up for new car which maybe is ok since depreciation of new car is typically higher in first 1-2 years.

Benefit is driving a 9G car; Extend COE life by 17 months (I am one of those who worry that COE will go up a lot in a few years time!); I can transfer my current service credits which will last longer since brake pads, battery is now covered; there is the extra PPS, interior cleaning, windshield polish, etc., but I don't put much value to that. Not sure what else I may be missing.

Have you tested the car with 9G? Is very different from the 7G? I would focus on the real hardware changes rather than the service/maintenance things, which can be EASILY covered with the money used for top up.

As for the COE, that is speculative, so that's really up to you.

• Praise 2

Twincharged
(edited)

What is your current car model?

After 17 months only 20k depreciation on straight line basis?

You cannot work out like that wan la.

Try asking for your car resale value....... easily lose close to 30k.

its more so now with the COE on the decline. I imagine the COE 17months back is approx 50K on average.

The wild card is really the VES that is affecting the prices as well as the 40K range of COE.

Now that we are in May /June period, the twice a year push for volume sales by PML and C&C will again cause prices to be more attractive.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

Thanks for your advice guys.  Will bear it in mind. Trying to get them to sweeten the deal. 

@vratenza - I would typically drive my car for full 10 years.  That is what I did for my last BMW although final 2 years made me regret when my beemer started giving me all sorts of problems!  That's why depreciation is important for me.  A jap car would therefore make more sense but I do like the solid ride quality, safety and feel of conti cars so paying up more for that.

@Piyopico - 7G C Class sedan. Net price 165k.  Depreciation = (165k -19.5k)/10 = 14.5k. AD offer 150k for 17 mth old car since new car delivery in Aug. I think you are right that actual loss if I try to sell in 2nd hand market will likely be 25-30k although when I check sgcarmart 2nd hand price for 1+ year old C Class, seller is asking much higher (obviously!) but I don't know what is actually transacted.   

@Douglam - Yes, did a test drive.  Ride does feel better since I manage to give it a go on expressway. SE pointed out that the Sport and Sport+ mode has more power under 9G and it does feel that way but don't ask me why!  That said, I have no complaints and am very happy with my current 7G.  

• Praise 2

Hey bro

Car buying is more than just numbers. If you like the c class you will keep buying it, just like the corolla owners. Year in year out they will keep buying it. So as Sheryl Crow says, if it makes you happy, go for it!

• Praise 1

(edited)

Hey bro

Car buying is more than just numbers. If you like the c class you will keep buying it, just like the corolla owners. Year in year out they will keep buying it. So as Sheryl Crow says, if it makes you happy, go for it!

Thanks.  You're probably right.  At the end of the day, I guess that will be the tipping factor!

Edited by Halo

Twincharged
(edited)

If depreciation of the 9G is still the same or even cheaper then go for it. Take it like some sort of upgrading since you have the 9 speed now.

So the new car will be 170k.?

Edited by Mkl22

If you have bought ur 7G at 165k nett (should only include cash discount and/or service vouchers only in ur calculation) and now AD offered 150k, then should consider to upgrade to 9G with the carryover of service vouchers and new service vouchers etc

1.5 years old normal c180 7G are asking 140-145K and actual transaction bet 135 to 140k, so AD offer of 150k is a fantastic deal

would upgrade if your quoted figures are correct

Thanks for your advice guys.  Will bear it in mind. Trying to get them to sweeten the deal. 

@vratenza - I would typically drive my car for full 10 years.  That is what I did for my last BMW although final 2 years made me regret when my beemer started giving me all sorts of problems!  That's why depreciation is important for me.  A jap car would therefore make more sense but I do like the solid ride quality, safety and feel of conti cars so paying up more for that.

@Piyopico - 7G C Class sedan. Net price 165k.  Depreciation = (165k -19.5k)/10 = 14.5k. AD offer 150k for 17 mth old car since new car delivery in Aug. I think you are right that actual loss if I try to sell in 2nd hand market will likely be 25-30k although when I check sgcarmart 2nd hand price for 1+ year old C Class, seller is asking much higher (obviously!) but I don't know what is actually transacted.   

@Douglam - Yes, did a test drive.  Ride does feel better since I manage to give it a go on expressway. SE pointed out that the Sport and Sport+ mode has more power under 9G and it does feel that way but don't ask me why!  That said, I have no complaints and am very happy with my current 7G.  

• Praise 10

If you have bought ur 7G at 165k nett (should only include cash discount and/or service vouchers only in ur calculation) and now AD offered 150k, then should consider to upgrade to 9G with the carryover of service vouchers and new service vouchers etc

1.5 years old normal c180 7G are asking 140-145K and actual transaction bet 135 to 140k, so AD offer of 150k is a fantastic deal

would upgrade if your quoted figures are correct

Thanks bro, appreciate the 2nd hand price info. I don't include service credit or car essentials in my net price. Just the over-trade and cash discounts.   

Sorry, forgot to mention that new car service credit and insurance credit goes into the trade-in offer price, so you can say it is within the asking price range. If I sell my merc in resale market, does the remaining service credits/car essentials package go to the buyer?  

(edited)

Thanks bro, appreciate the 2nd hand price info.

I don't include service credit or car essentials in my net price. Just the over-trade and cash discounts.

Sorry, forgot to mention that new car service credit and insurance credit goes into the trade-in offer price, so you can say it is within the asking price range. If I sell my merc in resale market, does the remaining service credits/car essentials package go to the buyer?

If I had dislike this comment, I must have entered wrongly and my apologies. I mean to quote.

I meant to say you can transfer service credit only when you do a trade in. Car Essential cannot be transferred regardless if you trade in or sell away.

Edited by Khng8
  • Praise 4

If I had dislike this comment, I must have entered wrongly and my apologies. I mean to quote.

I meant to say you can transfer service credit only when you do a trade in. Car Essential cannot be transferred regardless if you trade in or sell away.

I have removed the dislike.

• Praise 8

No worries, and thanks for explaining about transfer of service credit and car essentials.  

Supercharged

No worries, and thanks for explaining about transfer of service credit and car essentials.

AD offered 150k for your 17months ride? That’s a good offer.

The new 9G car how much they selling net of discounts? C180 lowest spec is listed at $181,888

Don't do it

cars in the same year as the launch of the new model, when you sell next time will be very poor thing one

buyer rather get the newer model, because even if you willing to sell at lower depreciation than the new model,

the total quantum of the loan is still almost as high as the 2nd hand newer model

• Praise 1

Supersonic

I have removed the dislike.

I don't know dislike can be removed.  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement