Maxus G10 SE - The full-size MPV that goes under the radar

Heartlander

Previously they also advertised but only at the classified and one small corner.

Today is one big section of the papers.

Oh I did not realise as I normally don't read classified nowadays.

Now can't wait for Christopher to come and condemn it.

↡ Advertisement

My frank view is that Chinese cars are coming, whether we like it or not.

1. They have the Japanese roadmap (Toyota, Honda etc) and the Korean roadmap (Hyundai-Kia) to take reference from.  

2. They are now dominant in the RM100-150k yuan space domestically -  which was an aspirational space dominated by international brands previously - and continue to move upmarket

3. Quality, not price, is now the differentiator domestically which explains the improvements in JD Power survey results over the years

4. They have a huge and highly competitive market, which drives innovation and quality (reference the pace of improvement of Chinese hp makers)

5. Most importantly, they have a lot of money which allows them to make technological and quality leaps via hiring of world class talents (like Hyundai-Kia) or acquisitions (like Volvo) or strategic partnerships (potentially with Daimler)

Would I buy a Chinese car ? May take me a bit more time to get comfortable because buying a car is not like buying a hp. But within the next 5-10 years, definitely would not rule it out. 

An article from a senior chap at CarAdvice, which has been pretty tough on Chinese cars over the years.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/623443/i-drove-a-chinese-made-mg-and-i-liked-it/

Edited by Fungyee77
  • Praise 2

1. They have the Japanese roadmap (Toyota, Honda etc) and the Korean roadmap (Hyundai-Kia) to take reference from.

2. They are now dominant in the RM100-150k yuan space domestically - which was an aspirational space dominated by international brands previously - and continue to move upmarket

3. Quality, not price, is now the differentiator domestically which explains the improvements in JD Power survey results over the years

4. They have a huge and highly competitive market, which drives innovation and quality (reference the pace of improvement of Chinese hp makers)

5. Most importantly, they have a lot of money which allows them to make technological and quality leaps via hiring of world class talents (like Hyundai-Kia) or acquisitions (like Volvo) or strategic partnerships (potentially with Daimler)

Would I buy a Chinese car ? May take me a bit more time to get comfortable because buying a car is not like buying a hp. But within the next 5-10 years, definitely would not rule it out.

An article from a senior chap at CarAdvice, which has been pretty tough on Chinese cars over the years.

Most likely the push will be in electric suv rather than other segments. 40 percent of the China market is suv or crossover.

Most likely the push will be in electric suv rather than other segments. 40 percent of the China market is suv or crossover.

Yep, with the EV incentives and with the SUV trend in China, you could well be right. 

But wouldn't rule out other segments as well because they are already building the same for world class manufacturers via JVs, and Haval is already dominating the conventional SUV segment in the entry aspirational price segments. 

Yep, with the EV incentives and with the SUV trend in China, you could well be right.

But wouldn't rule out other segments as well because they are already building the same for world class manufacturers via JVs, and Haval is already dominating the conventional SUV segment in the entry aspirational price segments.

Hmm they have a hard target of 2025 only electric leh. I think they will skip the ICE Era haha. Anyway they have a local potential customer base of 1.3 billion people.

They probably planning to beat Elon musk rather than Toyota, vw lol. Out tesla the original tesla lol.

They going to make the world's biggest li on battery factory overtaking teslas factory.

• Praise 1

Hmm they have a hard target of 2025 only electric leh. I think they will skip the ICE Era haha. Anyway they have a local potential customer base of 1.3 billion people.

They probably planning to beat Elon musk rather than Toyota, vw lol. Out tesla the original tesla lol.

They going to make the world's biggest li on battery factory overtaking teslas factory.

if Tesla buys their Li-ion batts from them then lagi win-win...

if Tesla buys their Li-ion batts from them then lagi win-win...

They probably won't let Tesla buy their batteries.

They will instead buy Tesla from Elon Musk.

2. They are now dominant in the RM100-150k yuan space domestically - which was an aspirational space dominated by international brands previously - and continue to move upmarket

Their own people in the tier 1 and 2 cities also don’t want to buy china made cars. Very very unlike Korea and Japan. You know something that we don’t, to know that the Chinese domestic brands can take off, given their own rich countrymen don’t even give 2 hoots?

You need your local domestic market to be successful before you can move worldwide. This is proven with every major car maker.

Edited by Mkl22

Their own people in the tier 1 and 2 cities also donât want to buy china made cars. Very very unlike Korea and Japan. You know something that we donât, to know that the Chinese domestic brands can take off, given their own rich countrymen donât even give 2 hoots?

You need your local domestic market to be successful before you can move worldwide. This is proven with every major car maker.

I think u underestimate how good their govt is at protectionism.

The EV subsidy that the local state govt can give was recently renewed. It's similar to the big cevs rebate that used to exist for hybrid vehicles here. There's an unspoken law that these subsidies only apply for locally manufactured batteries. Hence every single vehicle even JV ones use local batteries.

While all the car manufacturers are going electric, the prc govt is very good at protecting their own industries to develop local know how.

• Praise 1

Their own people in the tier 1 and 2 cities also don’t want to buy china made cars. Very very unlike Korea and Japan. You know something that we don’t, to know that the Chinese domestic brands can take off, given their own rich countrymen don’t even give 2 hoots?

Seems you don't know and say nia. China cars are everywhere on China roads. As for the rich ones not buying China, who don't want to buy  branded or AMDK stuff. Practically many including some here thinks buying ang mo products are number 1, high class.

Edited by Renegade777
  • Praise 4

Seems you don't know and say nia. China cars are everywhere on China roads. As for the rich ones not buying China, who don't want to buy branded or AMDK stuff. Everyone including many here thinks buying ang mo products are number 1, high class.

Are you sure? I’m in their big cities every other month for the past 10years. Foreign cars are still very much much more than the local brands.

Chinese are the same everywhere. All want face. If can afford all will buy foreign brands. The China made cars are only semi successful in their 3rd tier cities where incomes are lower.

Edited by Mkl22

Are you sure? I’m in their big cities every other month for the past 10years.

Sure. Open eyes and don't see only those cars you like or interested......there are also a lot of Hondas and Toyotas but nearly nil for other Jap brands like Subaru or Nissan.....LOL

Their own people in the tier 1 and 2 cities also donât want to buy china made cars. Very very unlike Korea and Japan. You know something that we donât, to know that the Chinese domestic brands can take off, given their own rich countrymen donât even give 2 hoots?

Fair point. But also different.

Japanese and Korean markets were highly protectionist, with very high tariffs on foreign imports. This is the reason there were very few foreign cars.

China is also high protectionist for imports. But they allow JVs on the basis of a 50-50 partnership with local players. Because of huge Chinese market, the top foreign players agree to this somewhat unfair arrangement.

This has 2 main impacts - firstly, since price differential between local makes and foreign makes are not as exorbitant, you naturally see more foreign makes (by local JVs). Secondly, it brings the local car makers up to speed exponentially more quickly.

Now, despite a pretty level playing field in terms of prices, Chinese makes like Haval are starting to dominate at aspirational pricing levels they previously had zero presence in, despite having to overcome the domestic bias against local makes.

Am not saying they have fully closed the gap, but they are coming and coming fast.

• Praise 1

Actually my intention is only to highlight this option for those who might find it helpful. Not asking everyone to go out and buy one now. It is definitely not for everyone.

But there are always those smart alecs who think they are the wisest people who must say something that is so obvious without even personally going showroomto have a look. They still think MIC cars are still like Hafei of few years ago. No doubt resale values would definitely be no good but even main stream cars are not that good either. I sold my Biante at almost 50% off after just 3 years, just an example.

Too bad i got my Vellfire just 6 months ago, else definitely would go showroom to have a closer look. My point is that we should respect fellow forummers that they have different needs and thinking as you,  and not think you are the wisest people around. They are sure not damsel in distress if they can afford to pay $150k for a car. They are not that stupid, maybe more clever than you. Just maybe.

Some people still think Korean cars are crap.

Too bad more of these people are changing their minds

and buying Korean cars. And the price of Korean cars keep

going up. I hope people don't change their minds and keep

buying more Korean cars so the price can remain low.  [thumbsup]

:D

We have here china n non china car supporters

I've no reason to support Chinese cars. Have owned Japanese, German and Korean cars over the years.

All I'm saying is, you can see the trending from the data.

↡ Advertisement