What to do for OPC Car with COE left 1 year

Stargate2

Hi

Need some advise what to do for OPC Car with COE left 1 year?

Should I use till the end of COE? It has very low milage and sending it for scrapped is kinda of wasted

If I sell my car what is the approx. value I can get?

Will I get a better price If I renew for another 5 years of COE? or/and upgrade to the black plate?

↡ Advertisement

Hi

Should I use till the end of COE? It has very low milage and sending it for scrapped is kinda of wasted

If I sell my car what is the approx. value I can get?

Will I get a better price If I renew for another 5 years of COE? or/and upgrade to the black plate?

how do you expect anyone to tell you anything if no one knows what car it is. and what the PARF, OMV is like.

short answer is with COE at the 40K range, forgo your scrap value, add up to less then 6 K depreciation a year, IF car still relatively mechanically sound, you may consider extending it.

• Praise 1

anyway opc parf value is not that much as compared to normal plate cars. if it is still low in mileage and mechanically good to go. Why not consider renew it? As you know best about your car history.

• Praise 1

I think TS is only interested in how much $$ he's getting whether he scrap, sell or whatever.

My advise is don't waste time when you are getting nothing out of it by advising him.

• Praise 1

It is all depends on whether do you really need a car for your daily travel in the future. You own an OPC which means currently you do not need to use the car during peak hours. But do you need it in the future? I own an OPC for more than 9 years and I had converted into a normal plate before COE ends. After COE expired, I renewed for another 10 years. I am still comfortable with my car build quality as I do not like the new CVT and all the new monitoring features which have many advantages and disadvantages. Furthermore my son is learning driving lesson now and he is interested to drives in the future. 

OPC usually have near-zero residuals on its 10th year.

So it’s basically at scrap value.

If you intend to extend the COE cos it’s deemed under-used and overall car is still good for another (say) 200,000 km ... then my guidance is to first convert it to black plate as near its EOL as possible (this is to minimise the pro-rata of $17K fee that you’d need to pay back LTA, to convert) ... and then renew its COE at the PQP.

Then you’ll have a still-good condition “normal” car for another 10 years!

Note: You’d still need to pay the full 10-yr PQP, to extend COE, whether it’s red, or black plate!

It’s thus a no brainer to extend a black plate (rather than a red plate) then, right?

Edited by merc280v6
  • Praise 1

You all not helpful like me one lah.

:D

Hi

Should I use till the end of COE? It has very low milage and sending it for scrapped is kinda of wasted Yes

If I sell my car what is the approx. value I can get? Yes

Will I get a better price If I renew for another 5 years of COE? or/and upgrade to the black plate? Yes

Edited by Jamesc

renew COE if still in good condition. i expect mileage to be already low since OPC...

my cousin drove his opc for close to 200 000 km in 9 yrs of usage. Mine much lesser even with a few days to 10 yrs....

renew COE if still in good condition. i expect mileage to be already low since OPC...

Mileage low may not necessarily mean good condition. But more often than not, the condition of OPC should be relatively good if low mileage.

I know of someone who has a OPC Lotus Elise which he used it for Track. Condition of the car not so good after 5yrs. So only TS will know if his OPC is good for renewal or not..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2