• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
40 replies to this topic | 110 praises

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:51 PM

Tamecar
  • Tamecar
    Neutral Newbie
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

As per topic, how many of you if without a car, will rent a car over the weekends just to bring family out?

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

kdash
  • Premium member
    kdash
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

not for me. ok to travel around via public transport.
Mustank praised this
Sienta X 2009, Sienta Hybrid X 2017
PSA: Get car cam if you still have not done so...
PSA2: Apply for vCashcard...

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:12 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Depends on where you are going. I'm ok with public transport and Uber/Grab.

Arya...who would have thought?

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:24 PM

Tamecar
  • Tamecar
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Even with young kids that needs a pram and many barang barang?

So can I say, it has to be cost effective then it make sense to rent a car than to take a grab or uber?

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

So can I say, it has to be cost effective then it make sense to rent a car than to take a grab or uber?

Do you need all the barang barang?

Plan what you want to do.

Don't bring whole room out.

Mustank and Holdenutessv praised this

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:28 PM

DACH
  • DACH
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

If you have kids and carry bulky items, it's always good to rent a car.

But do check out the best rates in the market.
Dream car: Lamborghini Murcielago 6.2

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:40 PM

kdash
  • Premium member
    kdash
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

i would say just rent a car if you think it makes sense to you and your family. no need to be too stressed out about the cost.

btw i have 2 toddlers. we use carriers and dont bring pram around. still doable...

if 3 kids and with grandparents then car makes more sense.

Do you need all the barang barang?

Plan what you want to do.

Don't bring whole room out.

agreed. my wife is very good at this.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:45 PM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Rather than rented car, i joined car club. 

There is 1 station that's 5 mins away from my place.

Loki praised this

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:34 PM

Atrecord
  • Premium member
    Atrecord
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

As per topic, how many of you if without a car, will rent a car over the weekends just to bring family out?

Some considerations:

First, if no car, are you a seasoned driver or hardly ever drive? If the latter, I would suggest you think carefully about whether it would be stressful to have to drive with whole family in tow. Some people might be nervous if they are not familiar, and then if got young kids throwing tantrums (or worse, baby crying), or old folks nagging - it could be dangerous to drive under such condition.

If it's only going to one place, and not very inaccessible, then there is not much advantage to rent a car to drive. If it involves going to different places that are out of the way, then driving makes sense.

RH1667, Tohto, Vratenza and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:41 PM

Mahjong74
  • Premium member
    Mahjong74
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Some considerations:

First, if no car, are you a seasoned driver or hardly ever drive? If the latter, I would suggest you think carefully about whether it would be stressful to have to drive with whole family in tow. Some people might be nervous if they are not familiar, and then if got young kids throwing tantrums (or worse, baby crying), or old folks nagging - it could be dangerous to drive under such condition.

If it's only going to one place, and not very inaccessible, then there is not much advantage to rent a car to drive. If it involves going to different places that are out of the way, then driving makes sense.

Just to add on

For rental car, there is deposit required and also excess payment even if get into a very minor accident. 

Not worth to pay the rental company the extra $$$ even if the minor accident is only few scratches. The rental company

will claim until jialut. 

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:42 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

It's much like travelling overseas with small kids, pram(pram bag too), hot water, milk powder, like carry FBO go chiong mountain. I also took public transport and taxi to get around. My parents young time also no car. We all take bus with no aircon wait long long for bus too. It didn't stop us from weekend outing.

I don't deny having a car make life much easier but it comes at a cost.

Edited by Watwheels, 23 February 2018 - 02:43 PM.

Arya...who would have thought?

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:42 PM

Mcf777
  • Mcf777
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

singapore roads very stress. must constantly look out for kayu drivers.

1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:45 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888

if you have 5 pax and traveling to a few location (park --> shopping--> meal) then rent a car is more convenience, now they have hourly rental car club scheme at neighbourhood which make it even more accessible. Uber/Grab will take up one pax (the driver).

However, if the outing plan is just going to one place, spend a few hours then go home, better to use Uber/Grab.

RH1667 praised this
骑白马的不一定是王 ,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:24 PM

Myxilplix
  • Myxilplix
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Before i got my current car i'd occasionally rent a car for busy days or long weekends. Mostly i got a car from a big rental firm near my house, very simple just needed to whatsapp them what i needed and when, they had all my details on hand.

I also tried Audi's On Demand scheme when they launched it, more expensive but also near my place, very convenient. Was shiok to be the first person to drive their A6, only had 52km on the clock when i picked it up.

A line of paint on a road holds more authority than I ever will.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:26 PM

kdash
  • Premium member
    kdash
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

singapore roads very stress. must constantly look out for kayu drivers.

better than MY...

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:04 PM

Lsm_83
  • Premium member
    Lsm_83
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

For me if i don't drive, I would take uber/grab or taxi if travel with young kid it's because UBER and GRAB cannot pick rider with young kid unless you book their travel with kidz car.

For me the main concern which i hate the most is to look for parking lot. Some time, take cab is more convenient if you ask me. Eg. parking at CBD or shopping centre will easily cost you > $10 bucks which you can take a cab. 

1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:26 PM

Tamecar
  • Tamecar
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Thanks everyone for your comments. It seem like taking public transport is still more viable in Singapore context.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:51 PM

Nzy
  • Premium member
    Nzy
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Personally, I think no need to rent car. Cuz pram got storage area below and can put all the stuff inside. Then just push the pram everywhere. I haven't really encountered many places where I can't push the pram and got to carry it. Now, you can even push the pram up the bus if you want.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:41 PM

DACH
  • DACH
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Thanks everyone for your comments. It seem like taking public transport is still more viable in Singapore context.

Depends on where you go, how many places to go, how many people following you and the load you bring.
Many times having the car can easily solve many problems.
Dream car: Lamborghini Murcielago 6.2

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:55 PM

Dafansu
  • Premium member
    Dafansu
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

sometimes it's easier to go by train, as u can go from one place to another when it comes to shopping. If not need to walk all the back just to retrieve the car. 

Edited by Dafansu, 23 February 2018 - 06:56 PM.

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: family, rented car, rental, bring and 2 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users