Anybody else tried Meta Oil 5W40?

singaporego

Two oil may have the same viscosity on the bottle,  but yet can have different viscosity when in use.

Lower viscosity usually improves FC unless the engine doesn't call for it. 

If want more friction modifiers, use Caltex with Techron Clean & Glide Technology.

previously i was on shell 5w40, now 5w30 but doesn't seem to have any noticeable FC improvement.

The shell im talking about is shell helix ultra 5w30 & 40.

Viscosity at 100 degrees-Celsius,   the difference between Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 and 5w30 is 0.9.

Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 is at the lower range of the w40 where Shell Helix Ultra 5w30 is on the higher range of the w30.

The difference between Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 is 2.8.

For comparison,  difference Meta & Shell 5w40 is 2.9 or Meta & Shell 5w30 is 3.19.

IMHO,  if between Shell 5w40 and Shell 5w30 is not significant, try an even lower viscosity EO like Pennzoil 5w30 or Motul 5w30.

If it is to resolve a FC issue, then perhaps a dose of fuel system cleaner like Caltex Techron Concentrate or Redline SI-1.

If still the same, look at other components like throttle body. 

Engine is a critical component of the car and it is very expensive to change.

I won't recommend to go below w30 if you intend to keep your car beyond 5 years.

I won't recommend to go below w30 if you intend to keep your car beyond 5 years.

There are cars that the manufacturer recommends to use w20 or w30 or w40, etc 

I would think that there are variety of reasons. 

It could be that some engine design needs a lower viscosity to prevent the build up of heat.

w30 is a range of viscosity. - some closer to w20 and some closer to w40.  

Not true at all. 

If the owner manual state 0W-20, pls use it. What u need is a top grade full syn engine oil and change the oil at scheduled intervals. 

Pls do not subscribe to those old myth that the thicker the viscosity, the better is the oil. Technology has improved significantly for the past 10-15 yrs while these myth stuck to where they are. 

Viscosity at 100 degrees-Celsius,   the difference between Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 and 5w30 is 0.9.

Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 is at the lower range of the w40 where Shell Helix Ultra 5w30 is on the higher range of the w30.

The difference between Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 is 2.8.

For comparison,  difference Meta & Shell 5w40 is 2.9 or Meta & Shell 5w30 is 3.19.

IMHO,  if between Shell 5w40 and Shell 5w30 is not significant, try an even lower viscosity EO like Pennzoil 5w30 or Motul 5w30.

If it is to resolve a FC issue, then perhaps a dose of fuel system cleaner like Caltex Techron Concentrate or Redline SI-1.

Thks for yr detail reply!

Do u mind elaborating on the "difference in value" e.g. difference between Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 and 5w30 is 0.9., difference between Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 is 2.8.

How do I make sense of the no.s?

Do u mind elaborating on the "difference in value" e.g. difference between Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 and 5w30 is 0.9., difference between Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 is 2.8.

Do u mind elaborating on the "difference in value" e.g. difference between Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 and 5w30 is 0.9., difference between Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 is 2.8.

It's just engine oil. Just buy from a reputable brand. What for crack head over a few numbers?
  • Praise 1

Google for kinematic viscosity [;)]  [;)]  [;)]

Google for kinematic viscosity [;)]  [;)]  [;)]

ah.. thks!

It's just engine oil. Just buy from a reputable brand. What for crack head over a few numbers?

My apologies if my post has made u crack yr head for nothing. U know u can just save time and effort and keep yr opinions to yrslf. Nobody will fault u for that.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

ah.. thks!

My apologies if my post has made u crack yr head for nothing. U know u can just save time and effort and keep yr opinions to yrslf. Nobody will fault u for that.

This is an open forum. Everyone is entitled to his opinions
  • Dislike 1

Not true at all. 

If the owner manual state 0W-20, pls use it. What u need is a top grade full syn engine oil and change the oil at scheduled intervals. 

Pls do not subscribe to those old myth that the thicker the viscosity, the better is the oil. Technology has improved significantly for the past 10-15 yrs while these myth stuck to where they are. 

SAE 20 engine oil does not offer the same level of protection as SAE 30 when the engine oil is hot.  It is better to be safe than sorry in Singapore where the climate is hot and cars are very expensive.

5w20 vs 5w30 – Everything You Need To Know

http://www.zoniv.com/5w20-vs-5w30/

5w20 vs 5w30 PSA - Switch to 5w30 Now

SAE 20 engine oil does not offer the same level of protection as SAE 30 when the engine oil is hot.  It is better to be safe than sorry in Singapore where the climate is hot and cars are very expensive.

Reference to what you had indicated above (underlined)

IMHO.

The w30 in relation to ambient temperature ranges in published charts max at either 30 or 35 degrees.

The extreme max temperature in SG based on historical data throughout the year is 34 degrees and above.

Using w30 will be in this upper limit to the max max temperature. 

The w40 in relation to ambient temperature ranges in published charts max at about 40 degrees.

Using w40 will be a bit further from the upper limit to the max temperature.  

Safer - w40.

Edited by Kklee
↡ Advertisement