'heaviest recorded' brain tumour

Lmws214

Indian surgeons remove 'heaviest recorded' brain tumour

Feb 23, 2018

MUMBAI: Indian surgeons who removed a massive brain tumour in a marathon seven-hour procedure said Thursday it could be the heaviest ever recorded.

Santlal Pal, a 31-year-old shopkeeper, had been carrying around a tumour weighing nearly two kilos before the surgery on February 14.Doctors at Mumbai's BYL Nair hospital where he was treated said the tumour was so large that "it appeared as if he had two heads mounted on top of each other".

"It was an extremely daunting and complex surgery," the hospital's head of neurosurgery Trimurti Nadkarni told AFP.

He said the operation took seven hours to complete and the patient required 11 units of blood.

"After the patient regained consciousness, we researched and concluded this was the world's heaviest tumour to be reported so far," he added.

The tumour weighed 1.87 kilos (four pounds), making it the heaviest ever to be successfully removed from a surviving patient, according to a hospital statement.

"It was a rare operation and the patient has survived. Before the surgery, he had minimal vision, which may improve now," Nadkarni said.

The hospital said the patient had made a good recovery and was now walking and eating normally.

The previous heaviest tumour to be successfully excised from a patient who survived the procedure was 1.4 kilos, it said.

http://www.asiaone.com/asia/indian-surgeons-remove-heaviest-recorded-brain-tumour?xtor=EREC-16-4[Emarsys_Newsletter]-20180223&extid=6934d0cfb7b252f1ae9f0dbddf5ff88ca8637e77

post-197177-0-47422000-1519439135.jpg

post-197177-0-48370000-1519439217.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9

No shit!!!!!!!!

[crazy]

would be more descriptive if they had a photo of the actual tumor itself !! :psychotic:

post-2854-0-65803000-1519440908.jpg

Edited by Ysc3
  • Praise 1

@lmws214, I can see that you are trying very hard, and i appreciate it.  You may not have started well, but I think you are correcting it quite nicely. Well done mate! [thumbsup] 

We all deserve a 2nd chance,  and i dont see why you sld not be. 

Keep it going!!!  [thumbsup]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 3

@lmws214, I can see that you are trying very hard, and i appreciate it. You may not have started well, but I think you are correcting it quite nicely. Well done mate! [thumbsup]

We all deserve a 2nd chance, and i dont see why you sld not be.

Keep it going!!! [thumbsup][laugh][laugh]

I thank your Sir for the much needed encouragement that I needed to improve , once again thank you
  • Praise 1

huh?

quote from the article:

"It was a rare operation and the patient has survived. Before the surgery, he had minimal vision, which may improve now," Nadkarni said."

quote from the article:

"It was a rare operation and the patient has survived. Before the surgery, he had minimal vision, which may improve now," Nadkarni said."

Can see you have an eye for details
  • Praise 1

Can see you have an eye for details

haha still trying to improve on it... its part of my job...

much room for improvement...

Edited by kdash

Twincharged

even Black Panther cannot help...

Kenyan doctor performs brain surgery on wrong patient

NAIROBI: A neurosurgeon at Kenya's largest hospital has been suspended after performing brain surgery on the wrong patient, the hospital said in a statement on Friday (Mar 2).

The scandal, which prompted an outpouring of horror on social media, is the latest drama to hit the Kenyatta National Hospital in recent weeks, after allegations of staff sexually assaulting patients, and the theft of a baby.

The hospital said the surgeon, as well as two nurses and an anaesthetist, had been suspended pending an investigation into the operation "on the wrong patient".

Health Minister Sicily Kariuki also suspended the CEO of the hospital over the blunder.

An investigation by the Daily Nation newspaper revealed that two men had been taken to the hospital last Sunday.

One required surgery to remove a blood clot to his brain, while the other needed only medication for a swollen head.

The Daily Nation reported that doctors did not realise they had opened the skull of the wrong patient until two hours into the procedure meant to remove a blood clot. Both the person operated on and the blood clot patient are in good condition, it said.

"The hospital deeply regrets this event and has done all it can to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the patient in question," read the statement from the hospital, adding the patient was "in recovery and progressing well".

Kenyatta National Hospital is Kenya's oldest and largest hospital, and also serves as a teaching hospital.

Supersonic

even Black Panther cannot help...

Kenyan doctor performs brain surgery on wrong patient

NAIROBI: A neurosurgeon at Kenya's largest hospital has been suspended after performing brain surgery on the wrong patient, the hospital said in a statement on Friday (Mar 2).

The scandal, which prompted an outpouring of horror on social media, is the latest drama to hit the Kenyatta National Hospital in recent weeks, after allegations of staff sexually assaulting patients, and the theft of a baby.

The hospital said the surgeon, as well as two nurses and an anaesthetist, had been suspended pending an investigation into the operation "on the wrong patient".

Health Minister Sicily Kariuki also suspended the CEO of the hospital over the blunder.

An investigation by the Daily Nation newspaper revealed that two men had been taken to the hospital last Sunday.

One required surgery to remove a blood clot to his brain, while the other needed only medication for a swollen head.

The Daily Nation reported that doctors did not realise they had opened the skull of the wrong patient until two hours into the procedure meant to remove a blood clot. Both the person operated on and the blood clot patient are in good condition, it said.

"The hospital deeply regrets this event and has done all it can to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the patient in question," read the statement from the hospital, adding the patient was "in recovery and progressing well".

Kenyatta National Hospital is Kenya's oldest and largest hospital, and also serves as a teaching hospital.

Black Panther from different country leh... haha... 

Supersonic

Black Panther from different country leh... haha... 

Wakanda, hidden from the global maps.

↡ Advertisement