Million dollar cash in bank now and zero debt...Anyone?

LPPL

Kids going for iPhone x with given allowance?

iphone is for starters.....lol and i bought for my daughter 1 last year. She knows i am still angry with her.....yesterday she baked some chocolate cookies and gave me some....
↡ Advertisement

Wah how old is ur daughter mate?

iphone is for starters.....lol and i bought for my daughter 1 last year. She knows i am still angry with her.....yesterday she baked some chocolate cookies and gave me some....

iphone is for starters.....lol and i bought for my daughter 1 last year. She knows i am still angry with her.....yesterday she baked some chocolate cookies and gave me some....ðððð

You spoiling your gal lah. She working or still schooling?

Wah how old is ur daughter mate?

13 this 16 september! Last time we always disturb her about having a birthday party with lky..... Edited by Eviilusion
  • Praise 1

I don't think this question has ever been asked in this forum before. I am wondering how many here have a million cash in the bank now (not CPF) with the house they are living in now (hdb or private) fully paid and with zero debt? Please note that I am not talking about those sitting on paper assets as some bros here will probably say they can liquidate this and that property to have x millions, I am talking about those debtless people with a million cash in the bank now. 

If you are in this category, it would be interesting to hear what do you plan to do with your cash in the next couple of years?

cabinet-swearing-in_orig-_cheesoonjuan.c

He can even make the market fall by making such statements

He is a mover and shaker

He did just that yesterday when he mentioned he might just buy an entire airline... US airline stocks immediately soared...

luckily I boh jib SIA today...because he also mentioned anybody can come in with crazy ideas to spoil the market...AirAsia and the likes came to mind...

• Praise 1

For discussion’s sake.

If you have a million cash now.

1. Buy a property of $2M and put $1M as downpayment.

2. Buy Singtel shares. Current yield about 5% based on $3.35 share price.

5 years down the road. Which option will yield better absolute returns.

Buy $1m property and borrow $500k.

Buy $500k of Singtel shares

If interest rate stays low, you should be able to cover your loan interest with Singtel dividend and pocket the difference.  

Diversification is your free lunch.

Not answering to your question but I don't think anyone can.  If property prices remain at current level in next 5 years, Singtel should give you better returns purely by virtue of its higher yield and the effect of compounded return.  Property yield is crappy even with some low cost debt.  

• Praise 1

ð¤ªð¤ªð¤ª

Toapow only lah.....

I how to ever smell $1mil in my lifetime?

Burn for you, sure got smell, last checked kim zhua alot of zero Edited by CH_CO

I don't think this question has ever been asked in this forum before. I am wondering how many here have a million cash in the bank now (not CPF) with the house they are living in now (hdb or private) fully paid and with zero debt? Please note that I am not talking about those sitting on paper assets as some bros here will probably say they can liquidate this and that property to have x millions, I am talking about those debtless people with a million cash in the bank now. 

If you are in this category, it would be interesting to hear what do you plan to do with your cash in the next couple of years?

Bro, why would anyone in their right mind would come to a forum and say he does have 1m sitting in the bank?

Internet is not a secure place, especially so for a forum.

Each post has an IP address......becareful.

• Praise 1

For discussion’s sake.

If you have a million cash now.

1. Buy a property of $2M and put $1M as downpayment.

2. Buy Singtel shares. Current yield about 5% based on $3.35 share price.

5 years down the road. Which option will yield better absolute returns.

I dont want to jump to conclusions so let me ask you.

For your above comparison, how much Singtel shares are you buying? $2mil or $1mil

This is to see if you are indeed making a fair (lousy) comparison or a flawed (lousy) one.

Give you a chance to redeem yourself.

Edited by Throttle2

I dont want to jump to conclusions so let me ask you.

For your above comparison, how much Singtel shares are you buying? $2mil or $1mil

This is to see if you are indeed making a fair (lousy) comparison or a flawed (lousy) one.

Give you a chance to redeem yourself.

ð

Ps The fact that singtel shares are so much more liquid than a property, is already an advantage in itself.

Thank you thank you.

Plse burn more.

I need it.

Burn some cigars too

$1m singtel shares and keep adding every month based on the monthly mortgage I would need to pay for a property loan of $1m.

If interest rate stays low, you should be able to cover your loan interest with Singtel dividend and pocket the difference.

Not answering to your question but I don't think anyone can. If property prices remain at current level in next 5 years, Singtel should give you better returns purely by virtue of its higher yield and the effect of compounded return. Property yield is crappy even with some low cost debt.

Got your point. It just that everyone is shouting property is the way to go for the next 3 years but when I work out the sums it appears I might be better off just buying Singtel........

Thatz why ask the old birds here mah .....

• Praise 1

Got your point. It just that everyone is shouting property is the way to go for the next 3 years but when I work out the sums it appears I might be better off just buying Singtel........

ð

Property only makes sense if you don't have to pay 11 percent ABSD (either decoupled or first property) , and if you can leverage, and that's assuming prices go up 20 or 30 percent and you sell without incurring too SSD.

If you think any of the above can't be met, then you are probably better off investing in other things.

• Praise 2

Not answering to your question but I don't think anyone can. If property prices remain at current level in next 5 years, Singtel should give you better returns purely by virtue of its higher yield and the effect of compounded return. Property yield is crappy even with some low cost debt.

"Diversification is your free lunch"

Not sure that applies to someone throwing 500k into singtel....

• Praise 2

Bro, why would anyone in their right mind would come to a forum and say he does have 1m sitting in the bank?

Internet is not a secure place, especially so for a forum.

Each post has an IP address......becareful.

You think radx or other admin going to sell your ip address to robbers to rob you? LOL...

In a forum, any bankrupt can become a "millionaire", any "millionaire" could also be a bankrupt. I am not keen to find out the real identity of forumers with a million sitting in the bank now, moreso what they will do with that money in the next couple of years. Everybody has their different take on investments, it is always good to hear from those with ready cash to splurge. 

ð

It’s always good to take data and see for yourself.

Imagine you have paper dollar $1 mil today.

1. Put the money in fixed deposit.

2. Place in SingTel shares and collect dividends and appreciation (tax free)

3. Place 31% in a property of your choice and run through the process of rent collection plus appreciation, which incurs tax as well. Leftover place in an imagined instrument of choice.

End of 2018, do an evaluation see which is better.

The property up tick will likely go on till 2020 so by end 2018, you can already see which is better.

Edited by Showster

Having a million cash at the different stages of your life will not be the same.

For instance, during the early part of your life, it is more likely that one will take more risk in hope for better returns.

But as you grow older, the emphasis might be different as children and family starts to need more money.

That said, any economy would need investment and growth be it organically or economic. It is the same for a person or family.

Personally what I will do is to split it into 3 parts, the % ratio will differ individually.

1. Liquid assets or cash (for e.g gold or bonds) where you can easily convert into cash if there is any need for money.

2. In any investment which gives you a yield, be it in property or in blue chips where the purpose is giving you a stable passive income.

3. Lastly, I would put some in what I say as personal growth, it can be an MBA or a business or even a property or a risky investment like bitcoin/shares which you might not see any returns for the next few years but it has the "potential" of giving you something more than whatever you expect to have in the regular investments.

That said, any proper use of debt will help in growing your wealth but over dependent on it will result in mistakes or mismanagement of your finances will affect your mental and physical well-being.

Don't end up blindly chasing for financial pursues only to find out you missed out too much in life, a person does not need a million cash to enjoy their life, neither a million in debt to burden it.

This is my personal opinion. Of course everyone has to die, maybe you can also confirm buying some Kim zhua or housing to burn too. Given the uncertainty. Lol

Edited by CH_CO
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5