Samsung Galaxy S9

Jman888

more for the sms, call history, notes, etc that are not under google account, during the smart switch, dun even hv to reset the wallpaper, position of the apps, everything appear as what you see in your old phone. 

my notes are in Evernote. So no issues there.

Yeah, but i'd rather things not be left over. My wife is a computer engineer also. Her preference is also always a new slate.

There's always legacy stuff hanging around in systems.

we only backup data like video/music/contacts etc. everything else is always new OS, new programs.

but it's a very old school way of doing stuff. Hence i don't really like to change phones etc often.

↡ Advertisement

Been using my S9+ for about a week:

- screen is amazing, noted that the curved edges are not as curved as my S7edge.

- much much faster than my S7 edge. almost instantaneous for most process which used to be slight laggy which I had taken to be normal previously. Think must thank the new chip and 6gb ram.

- camera is the best I used on any android HP I have used. the dual aperture is a dream for creating bokeh shots

- love the position of the fingerprint sensor, now have finger print sensor gesture that with one flick up I can launch my samsung pay and with the finger tip in position, it authorize the samsung payment.

the finger print sensor is very quick to the point I was abit sceptical if there is any security scanning or just a touch activation. Tested with another non registered finger and it proved to be working well.

- the stereo speakers are great. Now can netflix without even needing the included excellent AKG earbuds.

- with 256gb onboard storage, I just transferred all my S7 edge's 126gb microsd to the internal storage and freed up one slot for the circle's life sim I am intending to add to my phone.

- face recognition unlock is not perfect, when it is working well under good condition, it is pretty quick. But these days with Smart unlock function when I am wearing my Gear S3, it is always unlocked whenever I am in the bluetooth range.

- have yet to test out the Bixby

will add on the review as I go along

• Praise 3

For those of you who are using the S9+, did you buy them off the shelf or got from recontracting phone line ?  I am considering getting it (not for myself), but still have to pay like $700+, which I think is rather luxurious for a phone, when there are so many good budget china phones.  Is it worth it ? 

For those of you who are using the S9+, did you buy them off the shelf or got from recontracting phone line ?  I am considering getting it (not for myself), but still have to pay like $700+, which I think is rather luxurious for a phone, when there are so many good budget china phones.  Is it worth it ? 

mine is under recontract, no Wow for me, i would go for Oppo or Oneplus (their high end model).

mine is under recontract, no Wow for me, i would go for Oppo or Oneplus (their high end model).

I see, thanks.  Mrs has been using Samsung high end models, so not sure if change to China phone will get used or not. hmm.. [laugh]

(edited)

I see, thanks.  Mrs has been using Samsung high end models, so not sure if change to China phone will get used or not. hmm.. [laugh]

err...... then better not   [sweatdrop]

[laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

to her the phone features is not that important anymore.

Edited by Jman888

preordered from launch.

with the fast wireless charger (includes a wall plug fast charger and usb-C cable) and the $100 accessories voucher, it is quite ok pricing.

Used the $100 voucher to get the 2018 Icon X 1 week later, after some research.

If you have the spare cash, I say no point in signing any contract. All the no-contract sim only lines are cheaper in the long run.

• Praise 1

preordered from launch.

with the fast wireless charger (includes a wall plug fast charger and usb-C cable) and the $100 accessories voucher, it is quite ok pricing.

Used the $100 voucher to get the 2018 Icon X 1 week later, after some research.

If you have the spare cash, I say no point in signing any contract. All the no-contract sim only lines are cheaper in the long run.

Thanks for sharing, mate. Btw my Mrs also have the Samsung Icon X, the first gen model, and the battery is not so good. 

I skipped the 1st Gen icon X  when it was launched after reading all the reviews.

But this 2018 2nd gen models are getting rave reviews. With $100 discount off the RRP, worth a try... and so far it's been good. the connection and sound quality is good.

Don't even need to switch on the buds. Just pluck it out of the charger case and it connects with the S9+.

Thanks for sharing, mate. Btw my Mrs also have the Samsung Icon X, the first gen model, and the battery is not so good. 

I skipped the 1st Gen icon X when it was launched after reading all the reviews.

But this 2018 2nd gen models are getting rave reviews. With $100 discount off the RRP, worth a try... and so far it's been good. the connection and sound quality is good.

Don't even need to switch on the buds. Just pluck it out of the charger case and it connects with the S9+.

I also read the 2nd gen model has improves battery life. I also like the feature where it will auto turn on when lfted up, all Bluetooth should have this feature.
  • Praise 1

Got my glass screen protector and my spigen case and some USB-C charging cables from shopee.

I think glass screen protector really required. While cleaning the screen last night before applying the screen protector, I got a very minor scratch on my screen liao (probably cos i put the phone in my bag sometimes with other stuff inside)

I bought a few cases, one flip cover for normal day. The back case when I need to take photo most of the time.

I bought a few cases, one flip cover for normal day. The back case when I need to take photo most of the time.

i disabled the always on feature which is found in newer samsungs which i see a lot of people using.

It's a distraction to me when i'm working.

i prefer only the usual blinking light indicator.

was playing around with the AR emoji with my kids yesterday at the food court. haha they had a lot of fun chosing whether want to wear specs or what  hair color, clothes etc.

Those who bought the s9/s9+, did you get the 64 gb or 256 gb? For those who take many photos and videos, 64gb is not exactly alot.

Edited by Ingenius

(edited)

Those who bought the s9/s9+, did you get the 64 gb or 256 gb? For those who take many photos and videos, 64gb is not exactly alot.

Think S9 only have 64GB, I dun play game so still have 40GB free, also have 128GB external from the old phone for media files (photo/video/music). Edited by Jman888

only S9+ have 256 

• Praise 1

64gb. i don't play games and i don't like to clutter my phone with apps also. The videos and photos auto store to microsd so no big issues.

my microsd card is the samsung evo select. Just regular looking through the gallery etc, honestly cant tell any difference using it vs on-board storage. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Got the S9 Plus for the kid recently.  Made some videos comparing the video quality from the S9 Plus and my iPhone 8 Plus. 

Guess which phone is better?

Night landing in Singapore.  S9 is brighter.

Lufthansa A380 taxi-ing.  Changi Airport.

The S9 Plus Zoom to Fill feature is very cool. 

Unboxing the S9 Plus in Lilac. 

Maybe I should get an S10. 

↡ Advertisement