Doubling your Net Worth won't Make you Happier

Showster

Doubling of Net Worth  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Will doubling of your net worth double your happiness?

• Surely so!
    • My happiness will increase but not double
    • My happiness will be the same as I will seek to double it again.
    • My happiness will be the same as it is a statistic that I don't track.
    • My happiness will drop slightly
    • My happiness will drop drastically since I have nothing to look forward to

It's not about feel good talk.

Neither are we or WB going to stop trying to increase our net worth just because doubling it doesn't double happiness. Just pragmatic and not hypocritical, not advocating to stop increasing net worth.

It's just the thought that it's important to prioritise on what is important to us and not be sidetracked just pursuing net worth.

I have a close (by relation) relative that I only meet once a year. Already 60+ years old but he is on standby almost 24-7 in a lucrative business just to increase his net worth. I always ask him if it is worth but he feels it is the only thing he can do. You can't even buy half a day of his time...

ya....true!

60 plus still trying to increase his networth? For me....its the time to come to grip on our mortality, gets closer to God and maybe make amends with those who we have disagreements in the past, can be relatives, friends and colleagues. We cant bring wealth to our graves.......

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

ya....true!

60 plus still trying to increase his networth? For me....its the time to come to grip on our mortality, gets closer to God and maybe make amends with those who we have disagreements in the past, can be relatives, friends and colleagues. We cant bring wealth to our graves.......

Yeah, I believe that when you face with a near death situation, then you come to terms with whats important.

I know of a real pain in the rear woman in the office. But ever since she went for chemotherapy, she became more religious and nicer.

Having say that, it seems the colleague did not forgive her for all the things she done in terms of abusive working behaviour till one of them even say she deserve the Karma in her face. That's how bad she was.

Its good to moderate whats good and whats bad.

Yeah, I believe that when you face with a near death situation, then you come to terms with whats important.

I know of a real pain in the rear woman in the office. But ever since she went for chemotherapy, she became more religious and nicer.

Having say that, it seems the colleague did not forgive her for all the things she done in terms of abusive working behaviour till one of them even say she deserve the Karma in her face. That's how bad she was.

Its good to moderate whats good and whats bad.

yes....eventhough she is disliked i dont think cancer had to do anything about her character. Doesnt mean all cancer patients are bad.....its somewhat natural. Even natural death is not due to bad karma....everybody dies one day. You can forgive but can also dont forget........nothing wrong in that. Lives is about how we live it and being kind to others.....never repay a bad deed with another bad deed. Let live and forgive.
  • Praise 1

(edited)

yes....eventhough she is disliked i dont think cancer had to do anything about her character. Doesnt mean all cancer patients are bad.....its somewhat natural. Even natural death is not due to bad karma....everybody dies one day. You can forgive but can also dont forget........nothing wrong in that. Lives is about how we live it and being kind to others.....never repay a bad deed with another bad deed. Let live and forgive.

Well said.

Good things are always not easy to do in this world of ours and more so this society of ours

Guess we just got to keep trying

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 2

Well said.

Good things are always not easy to do in this world of ours and more so this society of ours

Guess we just got to keep trying

yes...it took me nearly 50 yrs to learn that. Was given a bad hand by my superior......managed to defend myself but stop short of revenge which i wanted to seek at the height of the episode. When things settled down then i realised its a lose cause if i proceeded....so i let it be but not forgiven. Several yrs down the road, he was transferred out but got his retribution and title smeared in the newspaper. Now i learnt revenge is not the only way out........
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

yes...it took me nearly 50 yrs to learn that. Was given a bad hand by my superior......managed to defend myself but stop short of revenge which i wanted to seek at the height of the episode. When things settled down then i realised its a lose cause if i proceeded....so i let it be but not forgiven. Several yrs down the road, he was transferred out but got his retribution and title smeared in the newspaper. Now i learnt revenge is not the only way out........ð¤ð¤ð¤

yeah. in the end its the person who cannot forgive others that suffers...
  • Praise 1

It's ok if you cannot forgive people as long as you just forget.

It's good to have a lousy memory.

Just don't lend anybody any money.

:D

Too many people have the victim mentality.

Every bad thing that happen to them they remember.

Every bad thing they do to other people they never remember.

I got the perpetrator mentality. I like to remember all the bad things I do to other people.

:D

• Praise 2

(edited)

I suppose in hindsight, it was more of payback time.

Just because she was getting away with it for the longest time, does not equate to it being that all is forgiven because she is dealt a hand by God.

I did speak to the subordinate who went full on with her and I felt that it was quite unnecessary behavior.

However, what he said was even more interesting. If she did not get that cancer, would she even know that what she did was not acceptable behavior? 

I know for a fact, many have "loon" her for the longest time. And as for me, I just attribute it to the fact that I had an even more abusive army drill sergeant. So whatever she did was just something that I just had to swallow. 

In a way, its like a spoilt brat. Getting away with pure bullying, until that person meet with a bigger bully.

Oh well, lets hope that if she eventually recovers, she will not return to her higher then mighty thoughts.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 2

yeah. in the end its the person who cannot forgive others that suffers...

ya.....i know it now.......forgiven but not forgotten!

I suppose in hindsight, it was more of payback time.

Just because she was getting away with it for the longest time, does not equate to it being that all is forgiven because she is dealt a hand by God.

I did speak to the subordinate who went full on with her and I felt that it was quite unnecessary behavior.

However, what he said was even more interesting. If she did not get that cancer, would she even know that what she did was not acceptable behavior?

I know for a fact, many have "loon" her for the longest time. And as for me, I just attribute it to the fact that I had an even more abusive army drill sergeant. So whatever she did was just something that I just had to swallow.

In a way, its like a spoilt brat. Getting away with pure bullying, until that person meet with a bigger bully.

Oh well, lets hope that if she eventually recovers, she will not return to her higher then mighty thoughts.

things happen for a reason, redemption, punishment......but i kick a person when they are down brings us to the same level as the perp themselves. The best life lesson is always the hardest and we just hope after the episode everybody will become a better person.

Supercharged

I think the principle of diminishing marginal returns in microeconomics can be applied here, whereby every incremental $1M will bring less happiness, all else being equal. Perhaps this can be explained by Maslow's hierarchy of needs whereby once the fundamental needs have been taken care of, human tends to desire higher level needs where money may not be able to buy.

post-188089-0-21459000-1519911801_thumb.jpg

• Praise 5

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Physiological needs : Public transport that doesn't break down and is on time and clean

Safety needs : any car that works

Belonging 

​& Love Needs : new CH-R or well maintained W124

Esteem Needs: 6 cylinders + Forced Induction + Conti Badge

Self actualization : V8 Twin Turbo plus one SUV plus one classic car like E24 and maybe track prepped GT-R

I think my hierarchy is like this....

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

The happiest days of my life were uni days when I stayed in hostel . SInce I had no income yet , my net worth was then zero .

Fast forward 30 years , OK la I am now worth a lot more but comparatively life was not as fun as compared to back then .

But , er....I still much prefer now where I had money and not as happy as compared to very happy back then but no money .

Lets be practical !! [:p]

• Praise 2

Networth up i sure happy thought it may not be equivalent percentage

But if networth drop i sure sad

Unless i intend to donate my wealth away which will in trun bring me happiness

• Praise 2

One reason why people look back to younger poorer days and say "I was happier then' might just be hindsight + grass is greener over there + you always want what you don't have mentality.

e.g. you lose your youth and you know money cant buy that back. But like above poster said, put you back there but boh lui have to wait 45 mins for bus and wear Number 4 again I think might not be any happier.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

I think the principle of diminishing marginal returns in microeconomics can be applied here, whereby every incremental $1M will bring less happiness, all else being equal. Perhaps this can be explained by Maslow's hierarchy of needs whereby once the fundamental needs have been taken care of, human tends to desire higher level needs where money may not be able to buy.

Capture.JPG

As one age.. the primary needs becomes important.. I wanna be up and hard as and when I wanna..

(edited)

ya.....i know it now.......forgiven but not forgotten!

things happen for a reason, redemption, punishment......but i kick a person when they are down brings us to the same level as the perp themselves. The best life lesson is always the hardest and we just hope after the episode everybody will become a better person.

yup, as I mention, it was totally unnecessary.

But to him, I suppose if he does not say it out, it would not have given him inner peace.

The fact that he wanted her to feel the same hurt for years of abuse in one 3 mins rant, to him was worth it.

I was just worried that it would be a "gang-rant" of sort for the others, so had to reel him into a room to make sure the rest dont think its open season ... 

I won't go so far as to term it that she was running the dept like a Nazi concentration camp, but the belittling of the subordinate in front of everyone till it makes one of them truly hurt and cry was quite unfortunate in one of the episodes.

Edited by Sdf4786k

Hypersonic

i guess wb won’t say what he said if he was 40 years younger with his present wealth

• Praise 2

yup, as I mention, it was totally unnecessary.

But to him, I suppose if he does not say it out, it would not have given him inner peace.

The fact that he wanted her to feel the same hurt for years of abuse in one 3 mins rant, to him was worth it.

I was just worried that it would be a "gang-rant" of sort for the others, so had to reel him into a room to make sure the rest dont think its open season ...

I won't go so far as to term it that she was running the dept like a Nazi concentration camp, but the belittling of the subordinate in front of everyone till it makes one of them truly hurt and cry was quite unfortunate in one of the episodes.

Aiyah....crying in the office is normal.....
↡ Advertisement