Microsoft to buy solar power in Singapore

Lmws214

My wife don’t allow me to go Taiwan

Donno why :grin:

Go tour to Taiwan together also cannot :grin:

because there got many 50 yrs old liao still like that one, she worry she lose to old woman.  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

i1903363.jpg

↡ Advertisement

If it was possible for hdb to build a series of water solar collectors on the roof of hdb, then store the hot water in a giant insulated water tank under the solar collectors

the whole block will get free hot water to bath

That will be really green

Becuase you don’t need to burn gas or elect to get hot water

My wife don’t allow me to go Taiwan

Donno why :grin:

Go tour to Taiwan together also cannot :grin:

Maybe she is allergic to nuts?

Especially betal nuts.

:D 

bing-lang-beauty-12.jpg

2693748757_9082578b9d_d.jpg

• Praise 2

Seems like you are working in the industry....

Is it possible that this company still can get their capital back within 10 years due to govt subsidies?

I'm not working in that industry exactly.. I just happen to do a thesis in my uni days and the topic is about renewable energy feasibility.. 

So far with the cost of PV cells, ROI of 10yrs impossible without incentives from Gov. But I don't exactly know how much are the incentives offered by Gov so cannot comment on this.

Many years back, I was tasked by one of our VP to explore the feasibility of adopting solar energy. The cost of just installing the panels and associating equipment that can fulfilled ~10% of our needs is in excess of $1.5m (and the price was almost near cost price of the supplier as we have working relationship with them so we know the detail inside out).

Approached EDB and met up with a few of their representative, even with funding / grant of up to 60% (there is a cap for the funding per project, so net % of funding maybe lower than what they claimed on paper), the ROI worked out to be ~16 - 17 years, and factoring in the additional maintenance cost needed, as well as the potential drop in panel efficiency, ROI will easily be in region of 20 years or more.

Given that the lease for industrial building is typically 30 years or less (unless your company got a new land / lease), it make not much $en$e to go green, as with that kind of ROI, the saving one can yield may be near zero, if you also factor in opportunity cost, as well as the fluctuation in electricity (and other energy) cost.

• Praise 5

Supersonic

Many years back, I was tasked by one of our VP to explore the feasibility of adopting solar energy. The cost of just installing the panels and associating equipment that can fulfilled ~10% of our needs is in excess of $1.5m (and the price was almost near cost price of the supplier as we have working relationship with them so we know the detail inside out).

Approached EDB and met up with a few of their representative, even with funding / grant of up to 60% (there is a cap for the funding per project, so net % of funding maybe lower than what they claimed on paper), the ROI worked out to be ~16 - 17 years, and factoring in the additional maintenance cost needed, as well as the potential drop in panel efficiency, ROI will easily be in region of 20 years or more.

Given that the lease for industrial building is typically 30 years or less (unless your company got a new land / lease), it make not much $en$e to go green, as with that kind of ROI, the saving one can yield may be near zero, if you also factor in opportunity cost, as well as the fluctuation in electricity (and other energy) cost.

Since that was many yrs back, could the cost have decreased sharply or efficiency improved as well?

Since that was many yrs back, could the cost have decreased sharply or efficiency improved as well?

I don't rule the possibility out, but to have a ROI of <10 years is a far stretch, especially since one also have to take into consideration of maintenance cost. I will however foresee a spike in demand for solar energy, when oil and gas price shoot through the roof...

• Praise 4

That's what I always say.

Our sunshine is not as good as other countries.

I like the sunshine in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.

But my wife says all sunshine is the same.

Maybe you can help explain to my wife?

I heard the sun is brighter when in the sky.

We have over 5 million people maybe we should collect natural gas.

Australia has 5 million cows?

Can start LPG business there?

• Praise 1

(edited)

Although you are pro carbon I am sure your report was not bias in any way.  [thumbsup]

With renewable energy being uneconomical this shows the respect we should

have for Microsoft as they are doing the right thing regardless of cost.

Instead of saying no ROI or its just not economic they are going for it.

I hope more companies follow this example.

All the other companies are all just talk only. Proudly proclaiming they

are green, they are green but it all just hot air.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1

anyone notice any very expensive SG properties being bought by Australians recently ?

Australia Billionaires Plan to Export Solar Power to Singapore

Two of Australia’s richest people, Atlassian Corp. co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes and Fortescue Metals Group Chairman Andrew Forrest, are investing in an ambitious project to export solar power from a giant plant in Australia to Singapore via a 4,500 kilometer (2,800 miles) transmission cable.

The project raised tens of millions of Australian dollars that will allow it to undertake development work ahead of an expected financial close in late 2023, according to developer Sun Cable’s Chief Executive Officer David Griffin and a company statement. The plan incorporates a 10 gigawatt solar facility, which the company says will be the world’s biggest, as well as battery storage.

• Praise 1

https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/aseanplus-news/2022/03/28/australia-to-singapore-solar-power-project-clears-another-hurdle

Atlassian Corp. co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes and iron ore billionaire Andrew Forrest are among backers of the plan to use a 4,200-kilometres (2,600-miles) high-voltage cable to export power from a giant solar and battery complex in northern Australia.

The project is aimed at supplying enough electricity to meet 15% of Singapore’s demand and targeting a 2026 start date. - Bloomberg

↡ Advertisement