Pork fat ranked among top 10 most nutritious foods

Ysc3

I think people have to make the distinction between pork fat and 

pork products like sausages and bacon.

Sausages and bacon is not unhealthy because of the pork fat

its unhealthy because of the chemical preservatives like the nitrates.

In the 60's a Harvard professor went around the world and lives with

natives and ate what they ate and had very low cholesterol.

He lived with Eskimos and ate a lot of fat from whales, seals and fish and

had low cholesterol. Not surprising as we all know fish fat is good.

He also live with natives that ate wild pigs and goats with all their fats

and he still have low cholesterol. This one was the strange one to me.

Eating beef steaks, roast pork and roast lamb is good for cholesterol.

This is very different from eating beef burgers and chicken nuggets

which are both unhealthy because of the chemicals and preservatives

and the method of cooking being deep fried in oil.

:D    

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

Supersonic

I think people have to make the distinction between pork fat and 

pork products like sausages and bacon.

Sausages and bacon is not unhealthy because of the pork fat

its unhealthy because of the chemical preservatives like the nitrates.

In the 60's a Harvard professor went around the world and lives with

natives and ate what they ate and had very low cholesterol.

He lived with Eskimos and ate a lot of fat from whales, seals and fish and

had low cholesterol. Not surprising as we all know fish fat is good.

He also live with natives that ate wild pigs and goats with all their fats

and he still have low cholesterol. This one was the strange one to me.

Eating beef steaks, roast pork and roast lamb is good for cholesterol.

This is very different from eating beef burgers and chicken nuggets

which are both unhealthy because of the chemicals and preservatives

and the method of cooking being deep fried in oil.

I'm trending towards eating more natural food and less processed food.

Chemicals and preservatives are certainly something to avoid as much as possible.

Deep fried is always frowned upon as bad, but maybe we should be looking at what kind of oil it's deep fried in.

For the hawkers, it's processed vegetable oil which is commonly available in a tin can.

Pork lard is harder to come by since it doesn't come in a can and need to be cooked.

For the natives, what they have to cook with is natural animal fat, not processed vegetable oil in a can.

Hypersonic

Look out for nitrite in the ingredient list. This is carcinogenic. Almost all processed meat, bacon, ham, have this.  Luckily I don't eat much of these bacon or ham, except when eating subway.

Hypersonic

I'm trending towards eating more natural food and less processed food.

Chemicals and preservatives are certainly something to avoid as much as possible.

Deep fried is always frowned upon as bad, but maybe we should be looking at what kind of oil it's deep fried in.

For the hawkers, it's processed vegetable oil which is commonly available in a tin can.

Pork lard is harder to come by since it doesn't come in a can and need to be cooked.

For the natives, what they have to cook with is natural animal fat, not processed vegetable oil in a can.

Even if it's is natural good oil, deep frying is bad.  Prolong high heating will damage all oil. This is one reason why most vege or seed oil or even the non virgin , non cold press olive are bad.  When they are processed, long duration of high heat are needed to extract the most of the oil. 

If really need to fry, just pan fry in medium heat with lard or butter.  But I use rice bran oil, becoz it has the highest smoking temp among the oils found in the supermarket , i.e. probably the hardest oil to be damaged by prolong heating  But it's still highly processed.   But they are cheaper than butter.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Even if it's is natural good oil, deep frying is bad.  Prolong high heating will damage all oil. This is one reason why most vege or seed oil or even the non virgin , non cold press olive are bad.  When they are processed, long duration of high heat are needed to extract the most of the oil. 

If really need to fry, just pan fry in medium heat with lard or butter.  But I use rice bran oil, becoz it has the highest smoking temp among the oils found in the supermarket , i.e. probably the hardest oil to be damaged by prolong heating  But it's still highly processed.   But they are cheaper than butter.

Yeah. that's true. High heat damage and breaks down oil.

I'm using oven more for baking food with less oil, instead of frying.

Supersonic

Moderation is the key.

It's just that animal fat has been vilified for too long and vegetable oil claimed to healthier, which probably turns out to be worse.

Do you still cooked with "healthy" canola (Canadian Oil) oil ? That's industrial lubricant, which the industry cleverly marketed as edible cooking oil.

I'm not sure whether it is used as industrial lubricant or not but even if it is, so what?

You should evaluate it based on whether or not it is healthy and edible instead. My take is yes, so I am using it.

I'm not sure whether it is used as industrial lubricant or not but even if it is, so what?

You should evaluate it based on whether or not it is healthy and edible instead. My take is yes, so I am using it.

Edible? Yes.

Healthy? I'm not too sure. Canola is derived from rapeseed of which 90% of the world's crops are genetically modified by the world's biggest GMO company, Monsanto.

Source: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/canola-oil-good-or-bad#section3

I'm sticking to my butter, coconut and olive oils.

• Praise 4

There is an old thread on low carb high fat diet. A variation would be paleo or caveman diet.

It has worked well for me for the last 5 to 6 years.

Generally not able to gain weight plus maybe see doctor maybe once every two years. It helps that your spouse is on the same diet.

My maid who eats loads of wholesome grain, vegetables and wheat bread falls sick every other month.

• Praise 3

There is an old thread on low carb high fat diet. A variation would be paleo or caveman diet.

It has worked well for me for the last 5 to 6 years.

Generally not able to gain weight plus maybe see doctor maybe once every two years. It helps that your spouse is on the same diet.

My maid who eats loads of wholesome grain, vegetables and wheat bread falls sick every other month.

You have convinced me.

I am throwing out all the wholesome grain, vegetables and wheat bread 

and stick to meat meat meat for health reasons.

The sacrifices I have to make for health its just so hard.  [thumbsup] 

And if the spouse wants to eat all the junk food like wholesome grain, vegetables and wheat bread 

then just let her eat lah, its her life.

We just stay healthy with all the meat.

You can tell people the right thing to do

but you cannot make the horse eat the oats.

• Praise 1