Accident claim involving three car collision

User_TL

Newbie in this forum here. Need advice on how to go about claims if encountered 3 cars collision. Im the middle car. My regular ws say 3rd party claim. But if the first car which happen to be a grab car with passengers, claim from me, if with 3rd party claim means insurer wont bother about me already is it? And i got to foot out $ to the first car? Or can i claim OD if the front car claim from me and i use 3rd party claim for the car behind?

If anybody ever in the same predicament, would appreciate the advise. Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Newbie in this forum here. Need advice on how to go about claims if encountered 3 cars collision. Im the middle car. My regular ws say 3rd party claim. But if the first car which happen to be a grab car with passengers, claim from me, if with 3rd party claim means insurer wont bother about me already is it? And i got to foot out $ to the first car? Or can i claim OD if the front car claim from me and i use 3rd party claim for the car behind?

Nowadays insurance claim very the messy ... [crazy]

Even if you are right and when the other parties insurance are the same as yours, they will inform their authorised workshops 'lump sum repair' ... :we-all-gonna-die: . They discourage you from going to AD for repair ..... :lll._.:

(edited)

They changed the BOLA system now, so not so messy.

No more claiming of last vehicle in a chain collision.

Just front claim back.

So in your case, the front vehicle will claim yours. You will claim from the one behind. Full stop.

Hope this clears your doubts.

Cheers.

post-55105-0-49693800-1520298025_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wormee
  • Praise 9

Is your car a white vezel in the middle? and the car in front of you a Prius?

(edited)

They changed the BOLA system now, so not so messy.

No more claiming of last vehicle in a chain collision.

Just front claim back.

So in your case, the front vehicle will claim yours. You will claim from the one behind. Full stop.

Hope this clears your doubts.

Cheers.

In his case beware of the passenger claiming for injury since it is a PH vehicle. That will be quite a sum. Insurance for all three cars (including first) will sure go up.

To TS just pay the excess and let the insurance settle. Nothing much you can do now.

Btw do you has a car cam? Does it show sudden breaking of first vehicle? Or was you tailgating? Anyway video not of much use now since your the middle car. Let insurance settle. Last rear rear car will need to claim OD not you.

Edited by Kopites

Supersonic

Is your car involved in the chain collision on CTE last Saturday night?

Thanks for all your replies. My car accident occurred on Friday on a 1 way road. Never know its so troublesome if its a chain collision.

Anyway what i have learnt from this is, how important it is to own a car camera, next is call your insurer up to find out how to go about instead of just going to your favourite mechanic. Do your own homework instead of depending on workshops or agents explaining to you stuff. Check through stuffs which you sign. And read the fine prints of what your motor insurance covers.

For now, its a waiting game for the 3rd party claims from the back car and the front car claiming from me- the middle car. The process can take 6mths to 1 year or longer. What to do? Hope all parties insurers would settle amicably.

Twincharged
(edited)

Thanks for all your replies. My car accident occurred on Friday on a 1 way road. Never know its so troublesome if its a chain collision.

Anyway what i have learnt from this is, how important it is to own a car camera, next is call your insurer up to find out how to go about instead of just going to your favourite mechanic. Do your own homework instead of depending on workshops or agents explaining to you stuff. Check through stuffs which you sign. And read the fine prints of what your motor insurance covers.

For now, its a waiting game for the 3rd party claims from the back car and the front car claiming from me- the middle car. The process can take 6mths to 1 year or longer. What to do? Hope all parties insurers would settle amicably.

​Ya, best is to drive safe and avoid accident.

​Things that can reduce chance of chain collision.

​1. Do not tailgate, keep safe distance. ( this you never mention )

2. If drive behind heavy vehicles or big car that blocked the view infront, either overtake them, if can't overtake them, Keep even longer distance.

​3. Dont ego bigger then giving way. Sometimes those drivers that die die want to come in, if really very close, just forget it and let them, they will soon meet one who is more fierce then him and then go into accident. Let them go into accident instead of you. 

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1

​Ya, best is to drive safe and avoid accident.

​Things that can reduce chance of chain collision.

​1. Do not tailgate, keep safe distance. ( this you never mention )

2. If drive behind heavy vehicles or big car that blocked the view infront, either overtake them, if can't overtake them, Keep even longer distance.

​3. Dont ego bigger then giving way. Sometimes those drivers that die die want to come in, if really very close, just forget it and let them, they will soon met one who is more fierce then him and then go into accident. Let them go into accident instead of you. 

Sometime you cannot avoid point 2 you mentioned as you're going to exit the expressway by the left lane. Actually the terrifying part will be you're in a jam, your front got a big heavy cement transport which had come to a stop and behind you come a fast and furious 20ft truck. Been there, almost got sandwich between the 2 but lucky for me, I was prepared to be hit, step on my brake hard and prepare to pull handbrake. The car boot reduce by 1/3 by the impact. So at the end of the COE, got to scrap the car since got major repair to the rear.

Twincharged
(edited)

Sometime you cannot avoid point 2 you mentioned as you're going to exit the expressway by the left lane. Actually the terrifying part will be you're in a jam, your front got a big heavy cement transport which had come to a stop and behind you come a fast and furious 20ft truck. Been there, almost got sandwich between the 2 but lucky for me, I was prepared to be hit, step on my brake hard and prepare to pull handbrake. The car boot reduce by 1/3 by the impact. So at the end of the COE, got to scrap the car since got major repair to the rear.

​Ya, no choice but to keep even longer safety distance lor. I always practice that. Other car cut in, let them cut lor.. So far so good for me..

​Actually there is road shoulder. Maybe if i encounter your situation, i may see road shoulder as an escape route. But that being said, hope no one will go into this kind of situation.

Edited by Yewheng

Yes it pays to keep a safe distance. However sometimes it's unavoidable. If the car behind dreaming just ram into the rear of my car and the impact push my car foward to hit the front car. Just unlucky to be infront of such driver. Now headache part would the claims made by the front car because of the BOLA. Being a sandwich car sucks during chain collision. If not the matter will be more clear cut.

Yes it pays to keep a safe distance. However sometimes it's unavoidable. If the car behind dreaming just ram into the rear of my car and the impact push my car foward to hit the front car. Just unlucky to be infront of such driver. Now headache part would the claims made by the front car because of the BOLA. Being a sandwich car sucks during chain collision. If not the matter will be more clear cut.

It would have been clear cut if you are able to prove you stopped your car in time but its the impact of the rear car that caused u to hit the car in front. Wish u all the best and hope all will end up fine.

As mentioned by bro Kopites, you just have to heed advice from your insurance. My guess for simplicity sake would be:

1. Pay excess and repair your front;

2. Front car will claim against you under 3rd party claim;

3. You claim against the car behind under 3rd party claim.

So, you should need to repair your car in your insurance authorized workshop depending on the T&C. Take it as a lesson learnt. Keep a longer distance as bro Yewheng mentioned. I learnt the hard way also from being hit from the rear twice in 6 months. Luckily with the big gap in front and impact not as great, my car was not pushed forward hitting the front car. 

Others may be irritated and cut in front of you with such big gap but it saves the day should such things happened.

Cheers.

Understand your predicament but please check with your insurer on how long you need to keep the reports. I think there is a time period that some funny joker can chut stunt and recall the case.

Hypersonic

As mentioned by bro Kopites, you just have to heed advice from your insurance. My guess for simplicity sake would be:

1. Pay excess and repair your front;

2. Front car will claim against you under 3rd party claim;

3. You claim against the car behind under 3rd party claim.

So, you should need to repair your car in your insurance authorized workshop depending on the T&C. Take it as a lesson learnt. Keep a longer distance as bro Yewheng mentioned. I learnt the hard way also from being hit from the rear twice in 6 months. Luckily with the big gap in front and impact not as great, my car was not pushed forward hitting the front car.

Others may be irritated and cut in front of you with such big gap but it saves the day should such things happened.

Cheers.

Claim OD to repair, I suppose one has to pay for own lawyer when claiming against car behind under 3rd party?
  • Praise 2

(edited)

Claim OD to repair, I suppose one has to pay for own lawyer when claiming against car behind under 3rd party?

Hmm, not that I'm aware of. If based on reports and no argument on liability (100% on rear car), my insurance authorized workshop proceed to repair and claim from the other party insurance company. It could be their own lawyer from back end.

For TS, claiming OD probably is for his front. Unless there is proof that he is not in the wrong hitting the front car. I personally did not encounter car being pushed forward and hit the front car. Perhaps under the BOLA, TS could claim his front damage repair from the rear car?

Cheers.

Edited by Wormee
↡ Advertisement