Basic Theory: Can You Spot the Error?

Sam7770

Page 73 of the Basic Theory of Driving, Official Handbook, 9th Edition appears to contain a glaring inconsistency in its recommendations for safe following distance. 

Can you spot the error? 

(Hints to follow if necessary.)

post-135138-0-31956500-1520301911_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement

Page 73 of the Basic Theory of Driving, Official Handbook, 9th Edition appears to contain a glaring inconsistency in its recommendations for safe following distance. 

Can you spot the error? 

(Hints to follow if necessary.)

should be  "after" instead of "before". 

• Praise 2

So what's the error?

Paragraph 134 shows the safe following distance in terms of cars that equates to about a 1 second gap, if we assume 4 -  5 m average car length.

Paragraph 135 then introduces the 2 second gap as the safe following distance; i.e. twice the gap shown in para 134.

This is inconsistent, and it is no wonder so many drivers in Singapore have no clue what is a safe following distance. 

It could be that TP (the authors) looked at the 2 second rule and felt they had to include it (paying lip service to the ideal), but they recognise that getting cars to follow at a minimum 1 second gap is more realistic in crowded Singapore.

I just thought a 100% error in an official document might be of interest to some people.  [laugh]

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Paragraph 134 shows the safe following distance in terms of cars that equates to about a 1 second gap, if we assume 4 - 5 m average car length.

Paragraph 135 then introduces the 2 second gap as the safe following distance; i.e. twice the gap shown in para 134.

This is inconsistent, and it is no wonder so many drivers in Singapore have no clue what is a safe following distance.

It could be that TP (the authors) looked at the 2 second rule and felt they had to include it (paying lip service to the ideal), but they recognise that getting cars to follow at a minimum 1 second gap is more realistic in crowded Singapore.

I just thought a 100% error in an official document might be of interest to some people. [laugh]

That's an interesting find.

should be  "after" instead of "before". 

No. "Before" is correct.  You have to complete the recommended phrase (which takes 2 seconds to say) before you reach the marker (obviously).

That's an interesting find.

I've marked it up assuming 4.5m for a standard car.

post-135138-0-87663200-1520384685_thumb.jpg

• Praise 5

No. "Before" is correct. You have to complete the recommended phrase (which takes 2 seconds to say) before you reach the marker (obviously).

I've marked it up assuming 4.5m for a standard car.

Praise you for the info. Everyday on the road everyone still make mistake on way or another. Hahaha as the title suggested. Theory! Just drive safe and dont speed and keep to the speed limit..what car length to stop become reductant if one always keep on Lane 2 or 3.

(edited)

Safe following distance takes 1 second to avoid collision.

Yes. Assuming this is theoretically correct.

2 sec rule. Assuming on average all drivers take another 1 second to react upon see the car infront jams brake. Oh, you do need to add reaction time. Nobody reacts instantly that doesn't take up any time. That's quite impossible.

So now you know why another 1 sec is added to make it a 2 sec rule. You are welcome. [laugh]

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

Safe following distance takes 1 second to avoid collision.

Yes. Assuming this is theoretically correct.

2 sec rule. Assuming on average all drivers take another 1 second to react upon see the car infront jams brake. Oh, you do need to add reaction time. Nobody reacts instantly that doesn't take up any time. That's quite impossible.

So now you know why another 1 sec is added to make it a 2 sec rule. You are welcome. [laugh]

Correct.  Reaction time accounts for the recommended extra second.

(edited)

Correct.  Reaction time accounts for the recommended extra second.

Then it's not an error. It's just not mentioned that in real world driving you need to have reation time.

You will have to request to change the title to spot what is not mentioned.

Edited by Watwheels

come on this is just a rough guildline,

who drive like that, counting secs and gauging how many car length..........

• Praise 2

Very interesting.

For a car travelling at 48km/h, it does travel ~13.3m in 1sec.

But the car should be braking from 48km/h to 0km/h, taking constant deceleration of 13.5m, it will take ~1.78sec, the remainder 0.22sec is the reaction time. So to me the distance is correct.

Ya, just a reference in maths.

Drive safe is most important. But usually, I don't see cars are having 3-car space at 50km/h.

• Praise 1

Then it's not an error. It's just not mentioned that in real world driving you need to have reation time.

in that case, those that either dont know how to count or can only count to 10 are the tailgaters ?

No wonder so many kindergarten kids in the other reckless driver thread ... tsk tsk tsk..

Don't understand the point you are making.  You already stated that reaction time must be included, for obvious reasons.