Basic Theory: Can You Spot the Error?

Sam7770

Twincharged

I also think they may have looked at the diagrams they'd have to produce for a 2s gap and said, "Nobody drives at that distance - halve it - it won't fit on the page!".  Or perhaps they are stating that the gaps shown are the absolute minimum following distances (as I mentioned in an earlier post) - in which case they should make that clear, and not label it "safe". 

Wikipedia explains the 2 second rule being equivalent to 1 car length per 8 km/h not the 1 car length per 16 km/h recommended in the Basic Theory:

Which further supports the point I'm making.

I still think the person used the formula wrongly so end up 2s become 1 car per 16km/h. The older books show 1 car for every 10km/h.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

I still think the person used the formula wrongly so end up 2s become 1 car per 16km/h. The older books show 1 car for every 10km/h.

Interesting, that's what I recall as well.  I wonder where the 1 car per 16 km/h came from.

post-135138-0-04682500-1520417619_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sam7770

Don't know why so obsessed with numbers.

It's the experience that helps one avoid an accident.

Not numbers and figures.

I will change lane to avoid a kayu driver in front who keep braking for no reason. Some drivers never heard of engine brake, right foot must either step brake or accelerator at all times.

You have the time to attach photos and start a thread, but don't have time to send email to TP to clarify?

Cannot be leh...?

Anyway, zero F given about the "error".. already got my licence.

For such situations, it's the experience and situational awareness that counts during real life driving, not blindly and stupidly following the theory books.

This seems like an ideal topic for a car forum.  Yes, we can have opinions about safe following distances.  But surely the official document has to be self-consistent?  I find it amusing the lengths people are going to to defend it.

I am hoping someone with better connections than I will put this query to the TP - I'm just a humble forum poster.  [laugh]

You have the time to attach photos and start a thread, but don't have time to send email to TP to clarify?

Cannot be leh...?

Anyway, zero F given about the "error".. already got my licence.

For such situations, it's the experience and situational awareness that counts during real life driving, not blindly and stupidly following the theory books.

Yes, I've already sent a query to TP. 

Thought it worthwhile getting opinions from other posters first, sorry if that offended you in any way... oh wait you say you give zero F, so not sure why you seem to be so agitated.

Since I'm here, the responses so far have fallen into 3 main groups:

1) that does look like an error, interesting.

2) it isn't an error, for reasons.

3) I don't care.

I really cannot help those in category 3) and one has to wonder why they bother commenting if they really don't care. 

This is a forum, right?

forum
ˈfɔːrəm/
noun

1. 1.
    a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Response from TP:

Thank you for your kind patience with regards to your feedback on the safe following distance.  Our Theory handbook explained both rules for drivers to follow.

2        We noted that through the years, the safe following distance behind the vehicle in front was based on one car length for each 10 miles an hour or 16 kilometres an hour you were travelling. As for the 2 second rule, it is a rule of thumb which a driver may maintain a safe following distance at any speed. 

3        We have alerted the relevant department for their consideration and review of the Basic Theory of Driving The Official Handbook, 9th Edition.

4        Thank you once again for bringing this to our attention and have a great weekend ahead.

With warm regards

Make of that what you will.

Actually let's just chill. Both have your points. I just wanna add one more point. In view of the latest accidents, perhaps we should step back and ponder if we have not been observing safety distances safely.

I give an example. In nursing, we always check for identifiers. E.g name and ic number. But if you suddenly have a spate of incidents when people say their ic number wrongly, you might have to add a third identifier like birthdate just to confirm. Not to say that your previous actions were wrong, but in light of changing circumstances, make the necessary changes.

So yeah we can have shorter gaps between cars because we are confident in our stopping capability but after reading about how many people (probably similarly confident people) cannot stop in time, maybe it's time to reflect lest what happen to others happen to us.

↡ Advertisement