Spore parents worried more than anyone else in the world

Jman888

take note and dun pass it onto your kids.

‘Too much academic pressure’ worries Singaporean parents more than anyone else in the world: Survey
Jonathan Loh March 16, 2018
Business Insider

Singaporean parents listed excessive academic pressure as their top source of anxiety about their children at school. The Straits Times
Excessive academic pressure on children and the impact of cost of living on their future have shown to be the most notable sources of worry for Singapore parents, a recent survey revealed.

According to the 2018 edition of the Global Parents’ Survey, Singapore has the highest percentage of parents in the world who list academic pressure and financial factors as top anxieties about their children at school and their future.

The survey was conducted by media company Ipsos MORI on behalf of global charitable organisation Varkey Foundation.

It involved interviews with 27,380 parents across 29 countries using an online survey, of which 1,000 parents in Singapore were polled.

Data obtained was adjusted to allow the survey to be representative of parents of children aged four to 18 receiving education, with equal views from mothers and fathers.

The survey revealed that 56% of Singaporean parents say their children facing too much academic pressure concerns them the most, followed by money and cost of living (54%) as well as them getting a job and having a successful career (53%).

In terms of proportion, Singaporean parents have far surpassed the global average for excessive academic pressure (30%) and cost of living (34%) as reasons for worry.

With regards to anxiety about their children at school, excessive academic pressure ranks higher than other factors such as happiness (52%), mental well-being (48%), personal safety (24%) and ability to make friends (22%).

It’s not all bad news as Singaporean parents are ranked among the most optimistic in the world about the outlook for education in their own country.

Around two-thirds (70%) of Singaporean parents say education standards have improved in the last 10 years, higher than any other country surveyed apart from India (72%), and tied with China (70%).

Parents also rated the quality of their children’s schools to be either “fairly good” or “very good” while 73% of parents gave the same rating for quality of free to attend government-funded schools.

“This supports the country’s number 1 ranking out of 70 countries in PISA,” the survey said.

PISA (Programme for International Student Assessment) is an international survey that evaluates education systems worldwide through testing the skills and knowledge of 15-year-old students.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

imo this survey result may not be representative... the people had to choose among a list of options, and when there is less worry about the other factors, those that remain are academic performance and financial... in other countries where the society and conditions are different, factors like happiness, mental well being, safety and ability to make friends become a higher concern. in other words, i am thankful that in SG parents do not have to worry so much about their kids' happiness, safety etc...

imo this survey result may not be representative... the people had to choose among a list of options, and when there is less worry about the other factors, those that remain are academic performance and financial... in other countries where the society and conditions are different, factors like happiness, mental well being, safety and ability to make friends become a higher concern. in other words, i am thankful that in SG parents do not have to worry so much about their kids' happiness, safety etc...

Precisely.

It's essentially a first world problem. Nonetheless, we are still too preoccupied with the academic system. I've not been a parent in another country, so I dunno what they worry about over there lol.

• Praise 1

Precisely.

It's essentially a first world problem. Nonetheless, we are still too preoccupied with the academic system. I've not been a parent in another country, so I dunno what they worry about over there lol.

yeah, cannot deny that we are still engrossed with academic performance. i hope that i will not be so in future, but i will only know when my kids get there...

One survey shows we are the most happy and another shows we are the most worried.....so i guess we are happily worried....

survey can be twisted to produce the result you want. That how commercially it is done anyway.

for sure we dont enjoy quality life but plenty of superficially we look great. as i have maintained. rich here do have plenty of quality. not that they cant buy them elsewhere but safest and most protected. to support their wealth, someone has to provide. they are not here to distribute their wealth but to grow them. 

I honestly think parents shouldn't be too preoccupied about

their kids academic results as long as they keeping getting As.

We should all be enlightened parents.  [thumbsup]

:D 

#fakepost 

Basically it all boils down to money.

If country is rich and prudent with a wide safety net for healthcare and education.

Problems like those mentioned in the survey would disappear for most people.

• Praise 2

Also our priorities and what we see value in life

e.g.

sacrifice to buy a depreciating asset car only to skip meals to afford money payment and maintenance

willing to spend 100s on hair cut but 5 increase by doctor protest like no tomorrow

work like a donkey and cow for a year to save money only to throw it in a 5day expensive holiday

some sacrifice friendship to make an extra 100 bucks

many treat their friends and acquaintances better than their own blood immediate relatives.

no need fancy survey to tell us about our problems only just need to look around us

• Praise 1

My son now in elite primary school.   School actually made all the right noises about not focusing so much on actual scores but student's ability to learn blah blah blah, then sekali i found out at P2, they already do streaming - top 5 student each class with go into some super-elite class at p3,  KNN

• Praise 2

actually we say we high pressure, but you look all over asia, who not high pressure?  Hong Kongers?  Koreans? they even more crazy.  China top tier cities?  India?  they push their kids even harder.  

The international survey should add the letter i behind their name....

pisai? :XD:

My son now in elite primary school. School actually made all the right noises about not focusing so much on actual scores but student's ability to learn blah blah blah, then sekali i found out at P2, they already do streaming - top 5 student each class with go into some super-elite class at p3, KNN

not unexpected from an elite school. then they will tell you 101 reasons why they do that (except the academic performance part)...

It's the future that's worries the parents. Not the academic achievement as the kids are now equipped with a education that is generic. Ask anyone in the industry why they don't hire local is none other then skills as well as preferred choice of "diversity". So how do u get to place the foot in the door is education and who you know in school then the rest is the ability tp deliver.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

Also our priorities and what we see value in life

e.g.

sacrifice to buy a depreciating asset car only to skip meals to afford money payment and maintenance

willing to spend 100s on hair cut but 5 increase by doctor protest like no tomorrow

work like a donkey and cow for a year to save money only to throw it in a 5day expensive holiday

some sacrifice friendship to make an extra 100 bucks

many treat their friends and acquaintances better than their own blood immediate relatives.

no need fancy survey to tell us about our problems only just need to look around us

No wonder I’m not unhappy and quite happy
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged

After working for nearly 2 and a half decades, from dirty field site to corporate board rooms to lavish properties, from leading a team of 20 to 800 ,from local team to global teams and now back to myself, I can quite safely conclude now that academic plays little part in the private sector.....it is your network and communication skills that will bring you far.

Unless parents aspire their kids to work in the public sector, probably as some army or stat board scholars,  I see little value in chasing for top notch elite academic. Good academic yes, that's important but for elite status academic type.....well, if the kid enjoys it, fine, otherwise I don't quite see the point.

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 3

After working for nearly 2 and a half decades, from dirty field site to corporate board rooms to lavish properties, from leading a team of 20 to 800 ,from local team to global teams and now back to myself, I can quite safely conclude now that academic plays little part in the private sector.....it is your network and communication skills that will bring you far.

Unless parents aspire their kids to work in the public sector, probably as some army or stat board scholars, I see little value in chasing for top notch elite academic. Good academic yes, that's important but for elite status academic type.....well, if the kid enjoys it, fine, otherwise I don't quite see the point.

you are right

parents in Singapore wants their kids to be Generals.

sure win one.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1