• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
68 replies to this topic | 279 praises

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:25 PM

BabyBlade

download.png

So I recently went on a 7 days trip to Tokyo - my first ever visit to Japan and I thought I'll do some posts about it since it's been almost four years that I last did a travelogue style entry.

This was back in 2014:

http://www.mycarforu...hl=+gold +coast

I don't have much pictures because weather was pretty cold and rainy so I was reluctant to take my hands out of my jacket for phototaking.

Pictures are all casually snapped using iPhone 8 Plus. 

Travel dates: 7th March to 15th March. I chose these dates because flight tix via Singapore Airlines cost me just SGD650 - this would also mean missing the Sakura bloom by just a week plus but I was cool with that.

Day 1 here we go!

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

Midnight flight via SQ. Some beer before resting and inflight breakfast before landing.

When we touched down Tokyo at about 7am, it was about 3 to 4 degrees out there. 

For those who have not been to Tokyo, you will get confused with their transportation system! They have far too many different lines. So this was how I traveled from Narita Airport. I purchased tickets for the Keisei Skyliner (round trip) to downtown Tokyo and 72 hours Unlimited Metro Pass to travel around. Total cost was about 5000+Yen for the Skyliner and Metro package. Don't forget to exchange your Keisei Skyliner voucher for the actual tix before boarding.

Found some pics online so you have an idea.

Keisei Skyliner_ Tokyo Subway_7.JPG

1395041238-kesie-o.png

I took the Skyliner to Nippori and changed to the JR Yamanote Line to Shibuya. You can take the Skyliner to either Nippori or Ueno and change from there.

To board the JR line you'll need a Pasmo or Suica card. It works just like our ezlink. 

Suica-Pasmo.jpg

Because it was so cold, first thing I did was to visit Lawson for hot coffee and fried chicken once I was at Shibuya. Pretty amazed with their selections of hot canned drinks. Never had anything like it in SG. Fried chicken also solid - crispy on the outside, juicy and tender on the inside.

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

First proper meal upon settling down - lunch at the popular Ichiran Ramen at Shibuya. It's touted as having one of the best tonkotsu ramen in Japan if not the best out of the mass market selections. Honestly it was good! Very tasty, rich and thick pork based broth but nothing out of the ordinary. I think it's similar to Keisuke Tonkotsu King in SG. But it was damn enjoyable having a bowl of hot ramen soup while it's chilly and rainy outside.

IMG_0694.JPG

Took the JR Yamanote line to Takeshita Street at Harajuku. This youthful shopping district is located right outside the station.

IMG_0728.JPG

Angel's Heart crepe.

IMG_0732.JPG

Zaku Zaku - a bit like churros with Hokkaido Cream Fillings. This is very popular with the crowd over there. I find it too rich for my liking.

IMG_0725.jpg

Takoyaki at Harajuku.

IMG_0707.jpg

Dinner at Harajuku Gyozaro. One of Tokyo's best Gyoza eateries. Lucky me, didn't even have to queue to get in!

IMG_0754.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

Ordered both the steamed version and the panfried. I like both! Love the juicy pork fillings!

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

Lots of walking around in Shibuya and Harajuku. Steep upslope and all. I conclude the Japanese people really love walking and there are no plus size Japanese out there. Maybe there are but few! Just the walking around to get from one train line to another is enough to make me pant.

To be continued...!

Count-Bracula, Beregond, RH1667, Davidtch, Aaronlkl, Tohto, Adrianli, 18 other members and 1 Anonymous member praised this
I like my hair messy, my life high, and my soul wild.

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:53 PM

SuPerBoRed
  • Premium member
    SuPerBoRed
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

cherry blossoms season! 

tokyo is nice.. but personally think osaka is nicer... but got a smell....  

Pocus praised this
Respect is earned.. does not come with your god damn title..

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:00 PM

RH1667
  • Premium member
    RH1667
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Looking forward to more update. 

Will be going there with my family in May also. its been a very very long time since my visit to Tokyo.

Good to know what had changed before my trip.

Thank you 

Jamesc praised this

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:47 PM

BabyBlade

cherry blossoms season!

tokyo is nice.. but personally think osaka is nicer... but got a smell....

I didn’t go during cherry blossom season la. Still too cold. I think now starting to bloom already haha. What smell at Osaka?

Looking forward to more update.

Will be going there with my family in May also. its been a very very long time since my visit to Tokyo.

Good to know what had changed before my trip.

Thank you

Yeap will do. Maybe tonight or tomorrow. Kinda busy now!

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:00 PM

SuPerBoRed
  • Premium member
    SuPerBoRed
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I didn’t go during cherry blossom season la. Still too cold. I think now starting to bloom already haha. What smell at Osaka?

iirc it was some tree which was unique to the area...   wasnt very nice imo...  

but some old castles in osaka .. the blossoms bloom is damn nice... 

Respect is earned.. does not come with your god damn title..

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:06 PM

Eviilusion
  • Premium member
    Eviilusion
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Cherry blossom and autumn.....i love the colours! Whole place pink and white and autumn red and orange......lovely colours and 2 of my favourite season. Not so cold and not so hot.......winter is out....i cant stand the cold!
Together We stand Alone

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:01 PM

Tohto
  • Premium member
    Tohto
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

attachicon.gifdownload.png

So I recently went on a 7 days trip to Tokyo - my first ever visit to Japan and I thought I'll do some posts about it since it's been almost four years that I last did a travelogue style entry.

This was back in 2014:

http://www.mycarforu...hl=+gold +coast

I don't have much pictures because weather was pretty cold and rainy so I was reluctant to take my hands out of my jacket for phototaking.

Pictures are all casually snapped using iPhone 8 Plus. 

Travel dates: 7th March to 15th March. I chose these dates because flight tix via Singapore Airlines cost me just SGD650 - this would also mean missing the Sakura bloom by just a week plus but I was cool with that.

Day 1 here we go!

attachicon.gifIMG_0657.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0661.jpg

Midnight flight via SQ. Some beer before resting and inflight breakfast before landing.

When we touched down Tokyo at about 7am, it was about 3 to 4 degrees out there. 

For those who have not been to Tokyo, you will get confused with their transportation system! They have far too many different lines. So this was how I traveled from Narita Airport. I purchased tickets for the Keisei Skyliner (round trip) to downtown Tokyo and 72 hours Unlimited Metro Pass to travel around. Total cost was about 5000+Yen for the Skyliner and Metro package. Don't forget to exchange your Keisei Skyliner voucher for the actual tix before boarding.

Found some pics online so you have an idea.

attachicon.gifKeisei Skyliner_ Tokyo Subway_7.JPG

attachicon.gif1395041238-kesie-o.png

I took the Skyliner to Nippori and changed to the JR Yamanote Line to Shibuya. You can take the Skyliner to either Nippori or Ueno and change from there.

To board the JR line you'll need a Pasmo or Suica card. It works just like our ezlink. 

attachicon.gifSuica-Pasmo.jpg

Because it was so cold, first thing I did was to visit Lawson for hot coffee and fried chicken once I was at Shibuya. Pretty amazed with their selections of hot canned drinks. Never had anything like it in SG. Fried chicken also solid - crispy on the outside, juicy and tender on the inside.

attachicon.gifIMG_0679.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0680.jpg

First proper meal upon settling down - lunch at the popular Ichiran Ramen at Shibuya. It's touted as having one of the best tonkotsu ramen in Japan if not the best out of the mass market selections. Honestly it was good! Very tasty, rich and thick pork based broth but nothing out of the ordinary. I think it's similar to Keisuke Tonkotsu King in SG. But it was damn enjoyable having a bowl of hot ramen soup while it's chilly and rainy outside.

attachicon.gifIMG_0694.JPG

Took the JR Yamanote line to Takeshita Street at Harajuku. This youthful shopping district is located right outside the station.

attachicon.gifIMG_0728.JPG

Angel's Heart crepe.

attachicon.gifIMG_0732.JPG

Zaku Zaku - a bit like churros with Hokkaido Cream Fillings. This is very popular with the crowd over there. I find it too rich for my liking.

attachicon.gifIMG_0725.jpg

Takoyaki at Harajuku.

attachicon.gifIMG_0707.jpg

Dinner at Harajuku Gyozaro. One of Tokyo's best Gyoza eateries. Lucky me, didn't even have to queue to get in!

attachicon.gifIMG_0754.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0753.JPG

Ordered both the steamed version and the panfried. I like both! Love the juicy pork fillings!

attachicon.gifIMG_0752.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0751.JPG

Lots of walking around in Shibuya and Harajuku. Steep upslope and all. I conclude the Japanese people really love walking and there are no plus size Japanese out there. Maybe there are but few! Just the walking around to get from one train line to another is enough to make me pant.

To be continued...!

Good detail trip report for my planning end of year  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:06 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888

why only all food no scenery?

my wife keep pestering me to go Tokyo which i am very reluctant, i hope i can just copy your itinerary and no need to plan so much   [laugh]

Tohto praised this
骑白马的不一定是王 ,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:09 PM

Icedbs
  • Icedbs
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Nice.....but don't just appreciate the sights and food.

Also appreciate the high service level of the people there and how considerate and polite they are as a society.

Edited by Icedbs, 21 March 2018 - 04:09 PM.

BabyBlade and Lala81 praised this

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:17 PM

Tohto
  • Premium member
    Tohto
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

my wife keep pestering me to go Tokyo which i am very reluctant, i hope i can just copy your itinerary and no need to plan so much   [laugh]

I am hoping to copy the itinerary for Tokyo + my own trip out of Tokyo.

Felt that F & E to Japan difficult to plan due to their complicated transport system.

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:19 PM

BabyBlade

Pardon me for the lack of scenic photos. It was raining for the first few days of my Tokyo trip so I couldn't take much. 

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:24 PM

Kxbc
  • Kxbc
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Felt that F & E to Japan difficult to plan due to their complicated transport system.

good thing about their mrt tickets is that even if you had bought the wrong fare, you can easily just go to the side counters at the exit and pay the difference. no questions asked. fairly common occurence even for residents. it is a manned booth, just give them the tickets, they will tell you how much more to pay.

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:24 PM

BabyBlade

Hahaha. So you guys are counting on me for the itinerary! Well it's pretty easy to plan though if it's just Tokyo. I think it's the out of Tokyo ones that are a little more complicated. I didn't do the Hakone or Lake Kawaguchi ones though. Totally skipped Mount Fuji.

The transportation system is really damn complex. There were a couple of occasions I was just staring at my Google Map, staring at the train map and couldn't figure out which way to go. Some touristy places like what I encountered at Asakusa they have English speaking Japanese staff stationed there to offer tourists English maps/directions.

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:27 PM

BabyBlade

Nice.....but don't just appreciate the sights and food.

Also appreciate the high service level of the people there and how considerate and polite they are as a society.

I agree! Amazing customer service everywhere we went. Their level of hospitality is crazily high, something we ought to learn.

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:27 PM

Tohto
  • Premium member
    Tohto
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Pardon me for the lack of scenic photos. It was raining for the first few days of my Tokyo trip so I couldn't take much. 

It is very annoying to move around in a wet cold weather...

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:30 PM

Adrianli
  • Premium member
    Adrianli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Subscribed.👍

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:30 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888

one step at a time, this round only Tokyo, if further out must take longer time to plan.

So BB's plan is good enough probably just add Tokyo Disney, i am not too excited   [laugh]

骑白马的不一定是王 ,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:40 PM

Tohto
  • Premium member
    Tohto
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

one step at a time, this round only Tokyo, if further out must take longer time to plan.

So BB's plan is good enough probably just add Tokyo Disney, i am not too excited   [laugh]

I think Tokyo Disney Sea will be better.

Disneyland just felt it really for <10yrs.

Last Dec went Shanghai Disneyland, even my daughter was laughing at some of the ride..

Edited by Tohto, 21 March 2018 - 04:49 PM.

Jman888 and Dleodleo praised this

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:59 PM

Discoburg
  • Premium member
    Discoburg
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I love Harajuku and Shibuya. Mad shopping there.

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:04 PM

BabyBlade

Day 2 Part 1 - Shinjuku & Ueno

Lunch at Kappo Nakajima, located at Shinjuku. It's about 10 minutes walking distance away from Shinjuku Station. They are widely known as Tokyo's cheapest Michelin Star restaurant, or probably one of the cheapest. They serve only sardines (called Iwasahi in Japanese). The sardines are cooked/prepared in four different styles - raw sashimi, deep fried, simmered and lastly sardine served in eggy casserole (which I had) - kinda like the katsu don style.

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_1614.JPG

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

All set lunches comes with miso soup, Japanese rice and pickles. Hot tea is also included. If I remember correctly they cost about 800 Yen. That's just about SGD10! They open at 11.30am but try to go early as there was already a queue when I reached at 11am.

You will only find their 800 Yen set meals available during lunch. Dinner menu is of the atas price range.

Taste wise I find it ok. I wasn't blown away by what I ate (mine was the Yanagawa Nabe), neither did my friend who had the raw sashimi. But at SGD10, I would say it's well worth the money for an expensive city like Tokyo!

After lunch we took a slow walk over to Don Quijote (Don Don Donki) over at Kabukicho Shinjuku.

My everyday must have.

IMG_1615.JPG

32426035485_ce9954eaca_b.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

Heck there are Don Quijote everywhere in Tokyo but I just had to visit every single one that I came across. They are massive unlike the one we have in SG! 

Photo opportunity with Godzilla right here.

gozilla_02.jpg

gozilla_16.jpg

IMG_1616.JPG

Headed to Ueno - Ameyoko after shopping at Don Quijote. You can take the JR Yamanote line to reach Ueno. Another 8 to 10 minutes walk and you will reach Ueno Ameyoko market street. I would say this place is a little like Taipei's Dan Shui. They have anything from bags, to clothes, dried food, fresh food, spices, cosmetics.

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

Anyone know the brand of these Japanese jackets? Damn stylo but most of it are SGD700+ onwards. There are a few shops carrying this brand. Love the style and graffiti of it but too expensive for something I've not done my research on.

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

Took another 10 to 15 minutes walk to the other side of Ueno, which I will continue in my next post. 

Looked up over my head and I saw a sky full of clouds. So so beautiful.

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

Before I end off this post... One thing to lookout for when you are in Tokyo will be their tax free shops for tourists! Quite a common sighting actually in all their touristy places. You will see signs/stickers offering tax refund (8%) being plastered all over. This include popular places like Don Quijote and Matsumoto Kiyoshi (a drugstore/cosmetic shop I've come to really love). 

To be continued.......!

RH1667, Tohto and Dleodleo praised this

Back to Travel & Road Trips  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: japan, tokyo and 5 more...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users