StarHub fiber broadband down?

Discoburg

Ya lor. Mine is SH 1Gig fibre.. But but its Free.. Cos i renew the TV program. Kns maybe lah free one.. Kenna throttle down big time

My test done on Wifi

You got try lan?
↡ Advertisement

Free does not mean anything. They should hold up their part of the bargain. 

Test with lan and use speed check. Should be able to hit down 800-900 up 900++

If not call them to bang table..... 

Ya lor. Mine is SH 1Gig fibre.. But but its Free.. Cos i renew the TV program. Kns maybe lah free one.. Kenna throttle down big time

My test done on Wifi

Free does not mean anything. They should hold up their part of the bargain.

Test with lan and use speed check. Should be able to hit down 800-900 up 900++

If not call them to bang table.....

Agree

Ac router wifi speed is very fast one

If get 100, cannot be router problem liao

My test done on Wifi

I am also on 1gbps fibre using Linksys router

Wifi test:

ipod X: 193mbps

ipad Air 1: 104mbps

Apple TV 4: 241mbps

Macbook Pro: 511mbps

It varies depending on devices.

The only way to achieve 1gbps is ETHERNET.

Slightly off topic and I'm not techie minded but I really don't see the requirement for 1 Gbps as most 'servers' from internet companies don't upload at anything like 1 Gbps.

I could give examples of my own experience but really what's the point.

I think we are being conned.

It's like buying a 4K Tv and finding very little content available.

Old mobile device cannot hit high speed.

Digi guy unlike to use old handphone

He always write those tech things in newspaper one

Slightly off topic and I'm not techie minded but I really don't see the requirement for 1 Gbps as most 'servers' from internet companies don't upload at anything like 1 Gbps.

Got lah

Some people gamer

Need very fast connection

What's the cheapest internet plan?

What's the cheapest internet plan?

That's a great question.

Yeah nowadays 1 Gb fibre prolly cheaper than 100Mb cable.

But I will have to pay for the fibre installation.

But not only that the 1Gb has been sold for years as the macho man's internet access.

Obviously it is the future and at some point, Starhub can't give a date, cable internet will be discontinued same as the 1 Mbps free service was discontinued .

But on that, I could get downloads just as quick then with the free 1Mbps service as I can now on the 100 Mbps service and then I could access a desktop, laptop and three mobile phones without any noticeable slowing of service.

AND somehow that free service router would pass the signal through two pre cast conrete walls with no reduction in download speed.

I do wonder if there might be a reduction in the quality of routers etc in order that people will upgrade left right and center.

But I'm just a natural born cynic.

That's a great question.

But not only that the 1Gb has been sold for years as the macho man's internet access.

Obviously it is the future and at some point, Starhub can't give a date, cable internet will be discontinued same as the 1 Mbps free service was discontinued .

But on that, I could get downloads just as quick then with the free 1Mbps service as I can now on the 100 Mbps service and then I could access a desktop, laptop and three mobile phones without any noticeable slowing of service.

AND somehow that free service router would pass the signal through two pre cast conrete walls with no reduction in download speed.

I do wonder if there might be a reduction in the quality of routers etc in order that people will upgrade left right and center.

Unlike you, I had port to Starhub Fibre 300mbps from Singtel ADSL. Cheaper with higher speed.

This year, I upgraded to 1 Gbps without increase in monthly fee + free router.

Of course I can always choose a $10 cheaper plan. But I want a NEW router.

Unlike you, I had port to Starhub Fibre 300mbps from Singtel ADSL. Cheaper with higher speed.

This year, I upgraded to 1 Gbps without increase in monthly fee + free router.

Of course I can always choose a $10 cheaper plan. But I want a NEW router.

Today, kids and ah ma need to learn about tech

Simi see modem

Simi see router

No wifi, how to troubleshoot

I teach my mum: very easy, just turn off and turn on :XD:

But turn off what turn on what, so old and young need to learn how to recognize modem routers etc

• Praise 1

My test done on Wifi

Speedtest from iPhone 7 on tplink ac1900 (primary router)

Download: 200

Upload: 250

My one is m1 200mb line

Old mobile device cannot hit high speed.

it's actually the modem inside these devices. When i bought my wife's aftershock laptop few years ago, maybe 2015, i paid more money to upgrade the intel modem chipset. The theoretical and real world performance then was very different between the two grades of AC.

But this year, when i bought my laptop, i did some simple reading about the different chipsets, it seems not much real world difference.

That's a great question.

Routers can last for a long time. my FIL's house is still using the DIR-865 i got 5 years ago from SH.

And no, they don't degrade.

If the technology has improved, between Wireless G -> Wireless N -> AC technology, the technology leap has always been there. 

Unless u are talking about 100mbps ethernet vs 1gbit ethernet, it's unlikely the casual user will interpret that as any difference.

Routers can last for a long time. my FIL's house is still using the DIR-865 i got 5 years ago from SH.

If the technology has improved, between Wireless G -> Wireless N -> AC technology, the technology leap has always been there. 

Unless u are talking about 100mbps ethernet vs 1gbit ethernet, it's unlikely the casual user will interpret that as any difference.

The other day, lost DNS.

Must be SH server again, I think.

I hadn't set it to Google DNS server, I should have. I don't trust SH DNS server.

So I tried to access my homepage DIR-850L. It wouldn't work, no webpage, although I can ping it.

Then i press the factory reset button...oh damn..I lost everything including wifi setting.

I pulled out an old dlink router and install. I haven't touch the DIR-850 since.

I pulled out an old dlink router and install. I haven't touch the DIR-850 since.

Ok, I fixed and upgrade the DIR-850L, somehow it works again.

perhaps it matters to few people

like Tianmo watch Earth Prawn (many simultaneous feeds)

like Radx watch Underworld Prawn (long distance)

like Staff69 watch Club Prawn (dark dark need software enhancement)

all these need huge bandwidth and the latest modem is NOT a bonus but a requirement

On a serious note: my desktop runs on wireless network (latest Dell, i7, 8700K, 1080 Graphic card, latest modem and of course SSD - hoping it will last at least technologically for the next 5 to 7 years). the modem really matters

• Praise 2

It's not just about 1 server, its all about the concurrent downloads which amounts to the 1Gbps bandwidth which is provided..

You can be streaming from say 10 netflix accounts within the house.. that's about 250mbps and still have spare bandwidth for gaming etc..

↡ Advertisement