Running in/break in engine via long trips

awesome1

All new cars before the engine is put into the car, already ran for hours to prove its ok before dropping into the car.

Breaking in is just a myth...

If really is breaking in, for those who have built engines before will know, the first 5000km cannot over rev and once the first drain after the build will have "metal debris" i dont think cars new fro agent has "metal debris" after the so called break in

Somehow u r right, if but car manual still recommend run in, then why not.

New car mostly come with synthetic instead of mineral liao anyway.

↡ Advertisement

Not sure if u had heard of "hard run in"

A friend of mine tried it with his 2008 civic type R. And at stock condition, his TypeR out performs other same model typeR. He just pulls away from my mark X at any speed during that time. Whereas Mark X could push other TypeR at higher speeds.

Just sharing what i have come across, up to your own disctetion.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

hi all.

I just came back from my trip.

I did my running in to Melaka right aftr I collected my car frm my PI.

I chg to my rim frm 15 to 16" on ad08..

thurs noon jam abt 1+hr only thru wdlands.....lucky me cos I heard my frd stuck on fri 430am frm causeway abt 7hrs to reach jb.!!!!

rpm below 2k speed frm 90-100+km..

my speed varies too..whn overtake 110-120km rpm 2.5k

keep left most of the time on NSHW..

mileage now 600+km..haha

thks for kind n helpful infos..

cheers..

by the way my car is Honda shuttle..

• Praise 1

Not sure if u had heard of "hard run in"

A friend of mine tried it with his 2008 civic type R. And at stock condition, his TypeR out performs other same model typeR. He just pulls away from my mark X at any speed during that time. Whereas Mark X could push other TypeR at higher speeds.

Just sharing what i have come across, up to your own disctetion.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

this is very interesting method...

so if we change out the engine oil after the first 32KM (20miles), will the car agents void the warranty?

so if we change out the engine oil after the first 32KM (20miles), will the car agents void the warranty?

How will they know?

Just keep the old oil.

Engine breakdown just put back the old oil and claim warranty lah.

Alot of Cars are now Factory Filled with 100% Syn Oil..it is a waste[also Enviroment not Friendly] to change so early.

Alot of Cars are now Factory Filled with 100% Syn Oil..it is a waste[also Enviroment not Friendly] to change so early.

Some brand like VW claim first oil change for new car only need to do at 15000km.... but I wouldn't think that is a good idea.

I just ran my shuttle in 2 days after collecting.... to KL.... variation of highway speeds, different rpms, overtaking, coasting, city driving, come back after slightly over 1400km mileage, change 1 round of engine oil.....

Enjoy your ride

• Praise 2

I collected Toyota Vios 2018 on 04 Jan 2019. I didn't read car manual so I didn't know about break in new car procedure.

After drove home slowly, next day I idled engine for 2 hours.

From 05 Jan to 17 Jan I drove gently around town for 300 km.

On 18 Jan, I drove to Malacca. On highway, I drove constantly 90 kmh to 100 kmh on left lane, 110 kmh to 120 kmh on right lane when over take. RPM < 3000 when the speed was 120 kmh. I stopped to rest 30 minutes for every 1 hour and 30 minutes driving. Now the car has 900 km and I will take it for first service on 02 Feb. I called Toyota and they said they used synthetic oil, not mineral oil in new car.

I think I made 3 mistakes here because I didn't read car manual to know more about break in procedure:

1. Idled the engine 2 hours on second day.

2. Drove constantly for long period at same RPM, at 90 kmh - 100 kmh on left lane.

3. Drove too fast 120 kmh for a new car.

↡ Advertisement